For Tony, A Non-HDR Studebaker

Old March 6th 15, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default For Tony, A Non-HDR Studebaker

I recall your fondness for Studebakers, and along with your distain of
all things HDR. So I thought you might enjoy this Non-HDR image of a
1932 Studebaker Indy Special Racer.
http://adobe.ly/1Mfq417

Savageduck

Old March 6th 15, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-06 20:16:48 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 10:58:14 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

I recall your fondness for Studebakers, and along with your distain of
all things HDR. So I thought you might enjoy this Non-HDR image of a
1932 Studebaker Indy Special Racer.
http://adobe.ly/1Mfq417

Nice shot, but disconcerting because he's driving clockwise on a race
track. Having grown up in Indianapolis, I know that race cars go
around counterclockwise.

I have the same problem in viewing some UK shots of point-to-point
racing. They run clockwise.

Studebakers were made in Indiana up in South Bend, so I probably saw
more Studebakers on the streets than many people who grew up in
different states would have. Also, one of my best friends in college
owned a Golden Hawk.

That was the car we were in one night when we were driving along a
country road and a deer suddenly appeared on the road. The car hit
the deer, the deer rolled across the hood and the top of the car, and
back onto the road. The car had a few scratches on the hood and top,
but no major damage. The deer bounded off back into the woods so we
didn't know what damage was done to it. The advantages of a
streamlined design!

This is one of my more recent Studebaker captures:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Rusty-...6-10-63-XL.jpg

This one works better in black-and-white, but I never uploaded it to
Smugmug.
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Rusty-...2-15-38-XL.jpg

This one is not a very interesting photograph in itself, but I do like
the note that the owner has in the window. Rather an understatement.
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Rusty-...4-27-10-XL.jpg

Here is a little yellow something for you.
....and it is not an HDR. ;-)
http://adobe.ly/18owQTf

Savageduck

Old March 7th 15, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 3/6/2015 12:58 PM, Savageduck wrote:
I recall your fondness for Studebakers, and along with your distain of
all things HDR. So I thought you might enjoy this Non-HDR image of a
1932 Studebaker Indy Special Racer.
http://adobe.ly/1Mfq417

A very attractive vehicle, indeed. In my opinion, race cars of
that era were much more aesthetically pleasing than their modern
day counterparts.

John

Old March 7th 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

wrote:

[...]

Picture #2 is interesting...I didn't know that Studebaker made pickup
trucks?

John
Old March 8th 15, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 13:13:12 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

Here is a little yellow something for you.
...and it is not an HDR. ;-)
http://adobe.ly/18owQTf

There's another nice Studebaker in this photo:
http://i.imgur.com/4J056G2.jpg

Old March 8th 15, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

Here is a little yellow something for you.
...and it is not an HDR. ;-)
http://adobe.ly/18owQTf

There's another nice Studebaker in this photo:
http://i.imgur.com/4J056G2.jpg

I have a sneakin' feeling the Studebaker was not the focus of that scene.

Savageduck

Old March 8th 15, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

Here is a little yellow something for you.
...and it is not an HDR. ;-)
http://adobe.ly/18owQTf

There's another nice Studebaker in this photo:
http://i.imgur.com/4J056G2.jpg

I have a sneakin' feeling the Studebaker was not the focus of that scene.

I have always had a problem with rude people stepping into the frame
as I'm about to shoot. I don't get it. Stranger still, they are
invariably female. Strangest of all, they are almost always very
attractive.

I am baffled.
Old March 8th 15, 11:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Tony Cooper wrote in
:

wrote:

I recall your fondness for Studebakers, and along with your distain of
all things HDR. So I thought you might enjoy this Non-HDR image of a
1932 Studebaker Indy Special Racer.
http://adobe.ly/1Mfq417

Nice shot, but disconcerting because he's driving clockwise on a race
track. Having grown up in Indianapolis, I know that race cars go
around counterclockwise.

I have the same problem in viewing some UK shots of point-to-point
racing. They run clockwise.

That looks like the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, in which case they would be
going counterclockwise. It is not unusual for road courses in the US to go
clockwise, though (Infineon, Mid-Ohio). Indianapolis has a road course
through the infield. When cars use it they go clockwise and motorcycles go
counterclockwise.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Rusty-...014-06-10-63-X

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Rusty-...014-02-15-38-X
L.jpg

This one is not a very interesting photograph in itself, but I do like
the note that the owner has in the window. Rather an understatement.
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Rusty-...009-04-27-10-X
L.jpg

---

Old March 8th 15, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-08 10:48:19 +0000, Jeff said:

Tony Cooper wrote in
:

wrote:

I recall your fondness for Studebakers, and along with your distain of
all things HDR. So I thought you might enjoy this Non-HDR image of a
1932 Studebaker Indy Special Racer.
http://adobe.ly/1Mfq417

Nice shot, but disconcerting because he's driving clockwise on a race
track. Having grown up in Indianapolis, I know that race cars go
around counterclockwise.

I have the same problem in viewing some UK shots of point-to-point
racing. They run clockwise.

That looks like the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, in which case they would be
going counterclockwise. It is not unusual for road courses in the US to go
clockwise, though (Infineon, Mid-Ohio). Indianapolis has a road course
through the infield. When cars use it they go clockwise and motorcycles go
counterclockwise.

Correct! It is the "Corkscrew" at Laguna Seca, and it does run anti or
counterclockwise (depending on your particular taste). My position was
on the hill under the trees, where I could see the vehicles coming
directly down the drop off into that radical elevation change starting
with the left curve over the top, then the left to right to left switch
back, into the sweep at the bottom.
I believe Tony thought that the blue & white curb indicated the outside
of an oval track running clockwise. Laguna Seca is no oval, and there
is more to driving there than only making a left turn.

BTW: that elevation change is one of the greatest on any motor race
track anywhere. The only comparible track is Bathurst in Australia
where there is a climb up Mount Panorama with a subsequent serious
descent. Most drivers liken the experience of navigating the
"Corkscrew" to driving off a six story building, and having to maintain
control.

This shot might show a bit more of the direction change.
http://adobe.ly/1Gvw9q1

....and with the luxury of GPS tagging in the file EXIF, my position for
many of those shots can be seen.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_20.jpg

Savageduck

Old March 8th 15, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-08 10:48:19 +0000, Jeff said:
Tony Cooper wrote in
:
wrote:

[...]

....and this shot might show the direction change in the "Corkscrew" a
little better.
https://db.tt/PONAFPIu

Savageduck

4 Tony android Digital Photography 0 May 30th 14 11:52 AM
Ping: Tony Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 2 December 1st 13 05:57 AM