Nikon EN-EL14 battery

Old February 25th 15, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Nikon EN-EL14 battery

On 02/25/2015 10:00 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
How long does it take to charge ....
or how long should I let the amber LED blink for ...
Is it safe to leave it over night ? It's charging in a MH-24 charger.

Reason after a while battling with a D3200 connecting it to a microscope just as I managed to get it focused the battery died....

Apparently this battery doesn't last long or so I've been told by the users of the camera.
So is the battery dead and destined for the recycle bin ?
is there any way of testing the battery.

Assuming the charger is OK....the longer it takes to charge a
battery...the better is it.

Though that might not be 100% intuitive...

if it's discharged and the battery is in new condition, it will take
longer to charge than if the battery is old and of reduced (m)ampere-hour.

So, let it charge until 100% and it's ok to leave over night.
Perhaps you took it off the charger too soon.

At at rate, I always have spare batteries for my cameras.

Old February 25th 15, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo
wrote:

How long does it take to charge ....
or how long should I let the amber LED blink for ...
Is it safe to leave it over night ? It's charging in a MH-24 charger.

Reason after a while battling with a D3200 connecting it to a microscope
just as I managed to get it focused the battery died....

Apparently this battery doesn't last long or so I've been told by the users
of the camera.
So is the battery dead and destined for the recycle bin ?
is there any way of testing the battery.

Assuming the charger is OK....the longer it takes to charge a
battery...the better is it.

nonsense. batteries charge at a constant rate and better batteries
don't take longer than not so good batteries.

any difference in charge time is how discharged the battery was at the
time it was put in the charger. a fully discharged battery will take
longer to charge than a partially discharged battery. no surprise
there.

Though that might not be 100% intuitive...

that's because what you said is wrong.

if it's discharged and the battery is in new condition, it will take
longer to charge than if the battery is old and of reduced (m)ampere-hour.

nope.

So, let it charge until 100% and it's ok to leave over night.
Perhaps you took it off the charger too soon.

the charger will stop when it's done and the battery can be left in it
indefinitely.

based on what he said, he did leave it on for a while and it did not
fully charge (kept blinking), which means the battery has failed.

normally a couple of hours is sufficient, but it will stop when it's
full so it doesn't need to be timed.

At at rate, I always have spare batteries for my cameras.

i used to carry spares but they last so long now that there's no point
in doing that anymore, which is how it should be.
Old February 25th 15, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 02/25/2015 10:31 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

How long does it take to charge ....
or how long should I let the amber LED blink for ...
Is it safe to leave it over night ? It's charging in a MH-24 charger.

Reason after a while battling with a D3200 connecting it to a microscope
just as I managed to get it focused the battery died....

Apparently this battery doesn't last long or so I've been told by the users
of the camera.
So is the battery dead and destined for the recycle bin ?
is there any way of testing the battery.

Assuming the charger is OK....the longer it takes to charge a
battery...the better is it.

nonsense. batteries charge at a constant rate and better batteries
don't take longer than not so good batteries.

***BULL ****ING *******

An old battery of reduced capacity will come to full charge much faster
than a new battery of full capacity...if both of course are equally
discharged.

What you are saying is that it takes just as long to fill up an empty
one gallon container as a five gallon container.

Two batteries originally 1000 maH

One new and full capacity , the other well used and now with a capacity
of 400maH

Both equally discharged. Of course the (now) 400maH battery will charge
faster

Old February 25th 15, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 02/25/2015 10:55 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 February 2015 16:07:51 UTC, philo wrote:
[...]

it's not my camera belongs to the MAT lab.

Then they should have a spare
Old February 25th 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

[...]

nope. i said that a partially discharged battery takes less time than a
fully discharged battery.

what you're saying is if you fill 3/4s of the empty 1 gallon container
with sand, you can fill it faster than if it was empty. the flaw is
that it's no longer a 1 gallon container anymore.

'better' batteries do not charge faster. period.

claiming that a defective battery charges faster because it's only
charging to half its rated capacity is bull****.
Old February 25th 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 12:31:57 -0500, nospam
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think you two are talking about two different things. Philo is 100%
correct that better batteries take longer to charge, but "better" does
not refer to quality, just the condition of the battery. As batteries
degrade over time, they will charge and discharge much more quickly,
and it's especially apparent as they near failure.
Old February 25th 15, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Bill W Wrote in message:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 12:31:57 -0500, nospam
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Wrong! They will charge at about the same speed but a not so good
won't take it for as long as a better one and thus reach it
maximum charge faster. A faulty one won't take charge at
all.
--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old February 25th 15, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

he is wrong.

but "better" does
not refer to quality, just the condition of the battery. As batteries
degrade over time, they will charge and discharge much more quickly,
and it's especially apparent as they near failure.

nope. if a 1000 mah battery only charges to 500 mah because it has
deteriorated, it's not fully charged. it's half charged.

the time to fully charge it is infinite, because it will never reach
1000 mah anymore.

claiming that a half-charged battery is fully charged is bull****.
Old February 25th 15, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 02/25/2015 11:31 AM, nospam wrote:

'better' batteries do not charge faster. period.

Correct, exactly what I said

Nikon Battery Rob Digital SLR Cameras 0 March 18th 13 05:27 AM
Nikon D300 Digital SLR Camera with Nikon 18-200mm VR DX Lens + MB-D10 Battery Grip + Anna1 General Photography Techniques 0 December 22nd 10 02:03 AM
Question about Nikon Battery charger MH-30 (for Nikon F5) [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 0 December 19th 09 12:43 AM
FS in Ottawa Canada nikon F80 / nikon lens / sigma lens / kirk shoulder stock / nikon battery pack Michel General Equipment For Sale 1 October 2nd 05 01:57 PM
FS in Ottawa Canada nikon F80 / nikon lens / sigma lens / kirk shoulder stock / nikon battery pack Michel 35mm Equipment for Sale 1 October 2nd 05 01:57 PM