Q: cheapest develop-only rollfilm processing in southern Germany

Old June 30th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Q: cheapest develop-only rollfilm processing in southern Germany

On 30-06-09 12:12, Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Alan writes:

It's not very different than B&W, except that temperatures need to be
maintained very narrowly and there are several more steps than in B&W
processing.

I've yet to do E-6 myself but the temperature shouldn't be harder than
C41, it's actually very easy to keep the temperature between 37.5-38.5C
in a kitchen sink filled with water. Basically you start developing
when it's cooled down to 38.5C and it won't have gone below 37.5C
when the 3-4 minutes developing time has completed.

True, except if I understand it correctly you have to maintain that temp
for several of the initial chemicals, not just the first developer.
Overall a 30 minute or so process.

There are systems that you can buy to hold several tanks of chemicals
and keep them in a common water bath. There are even water mixers that
will mix a stream of hot and cold water to the required temperature in a
continuous flow assuring a constant and precise temperature.

I have no problem with the mechanics of execution and maintaining the
temperature, but I doubt that an economical amount of chemicals would
last long enough for me to use them all, consequently the cost would be
higher. I only shoot about 20 rolls of 120 per year. And I haven't
shot any this year, to date, so that statistic might change.

Old July 1st 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Matthew Winn[_2_]

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:12:55 +0300, Toni Nikkanen
wrote:

I've yet to do E-6 myself but the temperature shouldn't be harder than
C41, it's actually very easy to keep the temperature between 37.5-38.5C
in a kitchen sink filled with water. Basically you start developing
when it's cooled down to 38.5C and it won't have gone below 37.5C
when the 3-4 minutes developing time has completed.

It's a little harder than C41. There's less latitude with the
temperature, and you do need to know the actual temperature of
the developer in the tank instead of assuming that if you heat
the tank to X then it'll be roughly Y. But it's not difficult,
and the temperature is less critical once the development is over.

--
Matthew Winn
[If replying by mail remove ".invalid" and the "r" from "urk"]
Old July 31st 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

RolandRB wrote,on my timestamp of 31/07/2009 3:30 PM:
On Jun 29, 7:26 am, Toni Nikkanen wrote:
RolandRB writes:
How do i do e6 processing at home?

Get a E-6 chemical kit by Tetenal, Kodak or some other company, and
the usual b&w development tools (tank, spirals, etc), a good
thermometer, something dark like a cloth film changing bag or the back
of your bathroom, follow instructions and there you go..

This is what I'd use, and don't get scared when they say "6 films",
that's an error on the fotoimpex.de side, it can actually do 12
according to the manufacturer:

http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotoche...dia-filmentwic...

If you find you like doing that a lot, then next time get this one:http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotoche...dia-filmentwic...

The cost per roll is only slightly more than 1 euro then.

I don't have a darkroom to do this and from what I have read this is
not so easy.

Don't need one. And it is a lot easier than it sounds.
Old August 1st 09, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote,on my timestamp of 1/08/2009 6:00 AM:
Noons wrote:

Don't need one. And it is a lot easier than it sounds.

You obviously don't know RRB. If something isn't diffcult, he'll *make*
it difficult. ;-)

LOL!
But really, it isn't. I used to develop in the bathroom, no problems at all.
Nowadays the laundry sink is even better: makes a dandy water jacket to keep
temps stable. The chemicals go on top of the washing machine next to it, so do
the timers and so on. A film changing bag and bingo: piece of cake. Not hard at
all, no need for a dedicated room.
Now, an enlarger, that would be a problem...