Foma Reversal film in 120?

Old August 12th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Foma Reversal film in 120?

Does anyone know of a source for Foma reversal film in the 120 size? Also,
are there any clear based B&W films on the market in the 120 size other than
Scala? And when are they going to run out of Scala?
Thanks,
Steve

Old August 13th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Richard Knoppow

wrote in message
Does anyone know of a source for Foma reversal film in the
120 size? Also, are there any clear based B&W films on
the market in the 120 size other than Scala? And when are
they going to run out of Scala?
Thanks,
Steve

Most 120 film has a clear base. Only B&W 35mm negative
film has a pigment incorporated. Most negative films can be
reversal processed with decent results but the first
developer must be optmised for the particular kind of film.
The key is the correct amount of halide solvent to add. This
must usually be discovered experimentally. Some old reversal
developing formulas exist but they were formulated for films
which have been out of production for decades. Ilford used
to have published reversal formulas for Delta films on its
web site, I don't know if these still exist. I suspect that
a Google search for reversal processing would find a lot of
answers.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 13th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Richard Knoppow wrote:
Most 120 film has a clear base. Only B&W 35mm negative
film has a pigment incorporated. Most negative films can be
reversal processed with decent results but the first
developer must be optmised for the particular kind of film.
The key is the correct amount of halide solvent to add. This
must usually be discovered experimentally. Some old reversal
developing formulas exist but they were formulated for films
which have been out of production for decades. Ilford used
to have published reversal formulas for Delta films on its
web site, I don't know if these still exist. I suspect that
a Google search for reversal processing would find a lot of
answers.

Kodak used to sell a kit for Tri-X. When T-Max came out, it was
renamed for T-Max, I don't know if it was reformulated.

As Richard said, you can find formulas on the web for do it yourself
chemicals,

The following may be of interest to you:

go to http://www.photoformulary.com and search for "reversal".

"REVERSAL PROCESS FOR T-MAX FILM is the formula developed by
Hans F. Dietreich and appeared in the
March/April 1988 issue of Darkroom Techniques.

The T-MAX reversal process allows black and white slides to be made from
T-MAX 100 or 400 black and white negative film. The reversal process
will produce excellent positives from one to two stops higher with the
same development time; however negatives will be a thin positive. The
kit makes five solutions (2 developers, bleach and a clearing bath).
This kit will develop 4 rolls of film."

It's $28.75 plus shipping, so it may be an expensive experiment.

Back when Agfa Scala was still available, but hard to get, one lab had
good results using the process with Efke KB-25 film. Freestyle sells
it as R25 in 120 rolls, it may work for you.

Geoff.

Old August 13th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Irwin

Richard Knoppow wrote:

Ilford used
to have published reversal formulas for Delta films on its
web site, I don't know if these still exist. I suspect that
a Google search for reversal processing would find a lot of
answers.

The Ilford reversal processing pdf is at:
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/download.asp?n=11

Peter.

Old August 14th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
____

Back when I was doing a bit of film testing and article writing for View
Camera Magazine the folks at Foma sent me test rolls of the Fomapan R
film for review.

For reasons I can't go back to for loss of the info I found that
processing the film myself was not an option. Something about the
process did not appeal to me or was rather nasty.

I looked at two labs, one was DK-17? in California that wanted a vast
sum per roll. The other was Duggal in NYC. Duggal processed the film and
it was beautiful. Not sure if they still offer the service or are in
business.

Unfortunately Steve Simmons and his Buddy Tim lost my film in their
haste to split View camera and Camera Arts Magazines.

My article was never published related to the Fomapan Films.

I do however have a scan or two from the Fomapan and one roll of the
reversal film.

In article ,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

FOMA films piterengel In The Darkroom 17 January 9th 05 02:37 AM
5x7inch daylight color reversal film Dr. Georg N.Nyman Large Format Equipment For Sale 0 January 7th 05 03:41 PM
develop E6 film as BW reversal De goede In The Darkroom 10 January 6th 05 06:35 AM
Foma films? Mark Fohl In The Darkroom 7 October 8th 04 01:37 AM
Where in the usa to process Foma 400-35mm Film ISO 400, 36 Exposure B&W Film Chris 35mm Photo Equipment 2 October 3rd 04 07:29 PM