Traditional B&W Interest Group

Old March 7th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Default Traditional B&W Interest Group

Neil Gould wrote:
Hi Stephanie,

My style is to consider a scene, and shoot
judiciously. I seldom have more than 2 or 3 frames of the same scene, and I
shoot digital in the same way.

As much as I try, I have a hard time treating digital this way. For one
thing they are all difficult to manual focus because of the fine grained
focus screens (optimized for brightness and AF use) they all use. Some
of the lenses don't even have distance scales! None have DOF scales. I
never used auto focus cameras before I switched to digital for this reason.

Maybe the bottom line for me too is I know that I basically have
unlimited shots I can take and they cost nothing except my time later
sifting through them. With film, especially medium format and 4X5, each
shot isn't cheap so I'm more careful. I started shooting medium format
because I wasn't happy with the image quality from 35mm and I think I'm
finding the same subjects that I couldn't get the look I wanted from
35mm, I have the same issues with digital.

Stephanie