Grainy skye?

Old October 16th 05, 09:36 PM

Default Grainy skye?

"MXP" wrote in message
k...

skrev i en meddelelse

"MXP" wrote in message
Why does the skye always look grainy on film?
Even on high resolution BW film.......

Not Tech-Pan.

I have never tried Tech-Pan.
Is it easy to work with?

There are two problems with TechPan: 1) it's manufacturer discontinued and
2) it's real slow. I've found in the past that I had to shoot at EI 12 in
order to get decent results. As far as where to get - the last I'd read
Porters still had some. B&H sold out some time ago.

Old October 17th 05, 08:07 PM
MXP

skrev i en meddelelse
"MXP" wrote in message
k...

skrev i en meddelelse

"MXP" wrote in message
Why does the skye always look grainy on film?
Even on high resolution BW film.......

Not Tech-Pan.

I have never tried Tech-Pan.
Is it easy to work with?

There are two problems with TechPan: 1) it's manufacturer discontinued and
2) it's real slow. I've found in the past that I had to shoot at EI 12 in
order to get decent results. As far as where to get - the last I'd read
Porters still had some. B&H sold out some time ago.

OK.....how fine grained is EFKE 25? .....it seems many like this film.
But the RMS is probably not better than Velvia?

Max

Old October 18th 05, 04:09 AM
Lorem Ipsum

"MXP" wrote:

OK.....how fine grained is EFKE 25? .....it seems many like this film.
But the RMS is probably not better than Velvia?

Efke 25 is good film, very fine grain. Here's an Efke25 photo. Photo
downsampled from 900mb rather badly Sorry.
http://elearning.winona.edu/staff_o/jjs/f/

Old October 18th 05, 11:16 PM
MXP

"Lorem Ipsum" skrev i en meddelelse
"MXP" wrote:

OK.....how fine grained is EFKE 25? .....it seems many like this film.
But the RMS is probably not better than Velvia?

Efke 25 is good film, very fine grain. Here's an Efke25 photo. Photo
downsampled from 900mb rather badly Sorry.
http://elearning.winona.edu/staff_o/jjs/f/

Looks good. May try the film some day. It seems a standard developer can do
it, but
Rodinal is not known to be a fine grain developer?

Old October 19th 05, 12:55 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"MXP" wrote in message

"Lorem Ipsum" skrev i en meddelelse

Efke 25 is good film, very fine grain. Here's an Efke25 photo. Photo
downsampled from 900mb rather badly Sorry.
http://elearning.winona.edu/staff_o/jjs/f/

Looks good. May try the film some day. It seems a standard developer can
do it, but Rodinal is not known to be a fine grain developer?

Rodinal does not create fine grain, but it does encourage acutance
(sharpness). It was fine for Agfa APX 100 in 120, and is very good for Efke
25. It doesn't hurt the latter's ability to be enlarged considerably. Grain
is my friend because it can give sharper looking images than grainless...
(but to stay on topic, Who need sharp clouds? )

Yes, use a different developer if you prefer finer grain.

Old October 19th 05, 07:17 PM
MXP

"MXP" wrote in message

"Lorem Ipsum" skrev i en meddelelse

Efke 25 is good film, very fine grain. Here's an Efke25 photo. Photo
downsampled from 900mb rather badly Sorry.
http://elearning.winona.edu/staff_o/jjs/f/

Looks good. May try the film some day. It seems a standard developer can
do it, but Rodinal is not known to be a fine grain developer?

Rodinal does not create fine grain, but it does encourage acutance
(sharpness). It was fine for Agfa APX 100 in 120, and is very good for
Efke 25. It doesn't hurt the latter's ability to be enlarged considerably.
Grain is my friend because it can give sharper looking images than
grainless... (but to stay on topic, Who need sharp clouds? )

Yes, use a different developer if you prefer finer grain.

Does EFKE suggest a developer?
When we have EFKE 25 we don't miss APX 25?

I think I should learn to view the grains as a kind of art.
The software filters which can remove grains also remove a lot of real
information. So until now the images looks best without much "Photoshop
tricks".
It is interresting how fine grained a BW film can be in the dark and middel
tone areas where
the plane of focus is.

Max

Old October 19th 05, 08:03 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"MXP" wrote in message

Does EFKE suggest a developer?

They (J&C Photo) recommends Neofin Blue (or Neofin Blau) developer but it is
way, way overpriced and not really of any particular advantage over
alternatives such as D76 1:1 or Rodinal 1:50 or 1:100.

When we have EFKE 25 we don't miss APX 25?

Efke is really different in terms of color response.