Fake SD cards

Old November 27th 17, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Fake SD cards

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 16:01:12 +0200, Dimitris Tzortzakakis
wrote:

On the BBC last night Fake Britain (at the end) they were talking about a large number
of fake SD cards

This is not nothing new. Quite a few years ago, I bought ten 2gb flash
drives on ebay. When I got them, they said 2GB on their body. But once
inserted, I found that they are all 1gb. I complained, the seller issued
a refund and told me to keep them. They did work ok, but they were only
1gb, yet labeled as 2gb. Was that intentional, or just a factory screwup
in labeling? And I do wonder why the seller had not noticed this before
selling them. But with a refund and 10 usable 1gb drives for no cost, I
did not complain any further.

Just recently I bought a 160gb IDE internal hard drive on ebay. One of
those "white label" drives which it said were made by major
manufacturers, just not given the Manufacturer labels. I was just
looking for a cheap drive for an old computer, so I bought it. When I
got it, it was labeled 160gb, but it was actually only a 40gb drive. I
confirmed that using special software that looks at the platters and so
on. Again, I complained. The seller refunded my money and told me to
keep the drive. A 40gb drive is pretty useless these days, but maybe one
of them old clunker computers in my garage can be made to run Windows 98
or something like that, and some kid can play games on it.

I wont even consider buying another "white label" drive after that
experience. I ended up buying a BRAND NEW Seagate 250gb drive for nearly
triple what I paid for that white label one, but at least I know what
I'm getting, and its a little larger in size too.

I am not blaming ebay for this. I buy lots of stuff from ebay and am
usually pleased, but there are some bad sellers, and computer drives
seem to be the problem area.