Apple fires iPhone X engineer after idiot "LOOK @ME!" daughter'shands-on video goes viral

Old November 8th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Apple fires iPhone X engineer after idiot "LOOK @ME!" daughter'shands-on video goes viral

On 11/7/2017 1:06 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 07:44:38 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Nov 7, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

I like the Youtube videos where they shoot iPhones with .50 caliber
rifles.

A .50 BMG hitting any phone, iPhone or Android is without question, going
to destroy it.

unless you have one of these:

https://newatlas.com/bulletproof-iphone-case-marudai/22195/
The armored case features an inch of solid steel embedded in the
back, which is what gives the phone cover its bulletproof ability. To
attach the case, the phone has to literally be bolted in using an
Allen wrench. Marudai also claim that a bullet hitting one of the
bolts will still leave your iPhone undamaged. But while the back of
the case is solidly protected, the front screen is still completely
uncovered so the phone's touchscreen can still be used.

The first question is; why would anybody carry a 4.5 Lb phone?

to protect against bullets. obviously.

Other than in a tactical situation, I just never thought of a phone of any
type, as a primary target for a shooter using any caliber weapon.

and it wasn't all that long ago when phones weighed more than that, and
without being able to stop a bullet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Bag_Phone

Yup! My old Nokia brick wasn’t exactly a lightweight.

My first mobile phone was hard-wired in the car. The second was a bag
phone. Then, a Motorola "brick". A second battery had to be
available because the brick wouldn't always hold a charge for a full
day. The claimed talk-time was 30 minutes, but that was greatly
exaggerated. I didn't have a in-car charging system that plugged into
the cigar lighter. I don't think they were available then, but I
might be wrong.

IIRC mine sat in a transmission and charging unit, in my car.

--
PeterN
Old November 8th 17, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

My first mobile phone was hard-wired in the car. The second was a bag
phone. Then, a Motorola "brick". A second battery had to be
available because the brick wouldn't always hold a charge for a full
day. The claimed talk-time was 30 minutes, but that was greatly
exaggerated. I didn't have a in-car charging system that plugged into
the cigar lighter. I don't think they were available then, but I
might be wrong.

IIRC mine sat in a transmission and charging unit, in my car.

standard or automatic?
Old November 8th 17, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/7/2017 10:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Damn! It is bad enough to work in a Kevlar vest with a ceramic sternum impact
plate. I don’t need to carry 9 Lbs of armored phone which is going to do
nothing to save my ass from damage.

You remind me of an AF navigator, who told me he used to fold his flack
vest, and sit on it. Did your father do things like that?

--
PeterN
Old November 8th 17, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/7/2017 10:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Damn! It is bad enough to work in a Kevlar vest with a ceramic sternum
impact plate. I don’t need to carry 9 Lbs of armored phone which is going to do
nothing to save my ass from damage.

You remind me of an AF navigator, who told me he used to fold his flack
vest, and sit on it. Did your father do things like that?

As a WWII P-38 fighter pilot, flak vests were not an option for my father.
Especially, in the tropical heat of New Guinea, and the SW Pacific where they
flew most missions in a shirt, foregoing the archetypical leather flying
jacket. He was also at 6’3” unusually tall for a WWII fighter pilot. So
he used a backpack parachute instead of the usual seat-pack chute, and a thin
pad as a seat cushion. So he wasn’t even sitting on the parachute pack like
the shorter flyers.

Savageduck

Old November 8th 17, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 19:12:11 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Nov 7, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Not much use for a phone if you're dead. I was thinking more of gear
protection in general. It, the phone could protect a tad if an assassin
is aiming at your temple though...

You wouldn't be a very good assassin if you aimed at the phone.
That's one mistake Lee Harvey Oswald didn't make ;-)
I don't think Kennedy was using his cell phone at the time.

...and if he did have that particular armored phone, nobody told him he
should hold it to the back of his head for the entire drive.

front of his head.

Not a proponent of the lone shooter theory I see.

Nor am I.

In that case he should have just encased his head in the phone armor.

Eric Stevens
Old November 8th 17, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 22:24:09 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 11/7/2017 1:06 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 07:44:38 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Nov 7, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

[...]

My first cellphone was a Mitsubishi.

When it was installed in mycar, there was a box which clipped onto a
frame on the back of the back seat, inside the trunk. There was a
shoe, which included a speaker, mounted between the two front seats
into which the handpiece was clipped. It had a remote microphone at
the top of the windscreen. I could control the whole thing from the
hand peice and use it as a hands free phone.

If I wanted to use it as a hand-carry phone I had to unclip the hand
piece from it's shoe, unplug the cable which connected the hand piece
to the shoe, and then remove the box from the trunk. I could then plug
the hand peice into the box and - voila - I had a phone which I could
use while I walked around. Mind you it took two hands. See
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GnwAA...qkV/s-l225.jpg for a
slightly hacked around one on Ebay.

Eric Stevens
Old November 8th 17, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 22:09:01 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

A .50 BMG hitting any phone, iPhone or Android is without question,
going to destroy it.

unless you have one of these:

https://newatlas.com/bulletproof-iphone-case-marudai/22195/
The armored case features an inch of solid steel embedded in the
back, which is what gives the phone cover its bulletproof ability. To
attach the case, the phone has to literally be bolted in using an
Allen wrench. Marudai also claim that a bullet hitting one of the
bolts will still leave your iPhone undamaged. But while the back of
the case is solidly protected, the front screen is still completely
uncovered so the phone's touchscreen can still be used.
Maybe they should put an inch of steel on both sides of the phone.

buy two cases.

Damn! It is bad enough to work in a Kevlar vest with a ceramic sternum impact
plate. I don¹t need to carry 9 Lbs of armored phone which is going to do
nothing to save my ass from damage.

it would if you put it in your back pocket.

It wouldn't get bent either, not in that case.

Eric Stevens
Old November 8th 17, 11:43 AM posted to alt.society.liberalism,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.design,sac.politics,rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Lewis
wrote:

No, there is no sense of compassion for someone who stupidly violated
about 50 different rules that Apple specifically and repeatedly tells
employees about.

Even letting his daughter *use* his phone could easily have resulted in
his being fired.

This is not a mystery. People who have never worked at Apple know about
these rules. Employees were reminded of these rules after the iPhone
announcement.

Back in the 90's, I worked for Apple and was periodically "reminded" by
Apple lawyers about my non-disclosure obligations.... Yeah. There was
no question about it.
Old November 8th 17, 04:35 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.design,sac.politics,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/8/2017 6:43 AM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , Lewis
wrote:

No, there is no sense of compassion for someone who stupidly violated
about 50 different rules that Apple specifically and repeatedly tells
employees about.

Even letting his daughter *use* his phone could easily have resulted in
his being fired.

This is not a mystery. People who have never worked at Apple know about
these rules. Employees were reminded of these rules after the iPhone
announcement.

Back in the 90's, I worked for Apple and was periodically "reminded" by
Apple lawyers about my non-disclosure obligations.... Yeah. There was
no question about it.

I did beta testing for MS, and was continually reminded of my NDA. They
were absolutely right.

--
PeterN