WHO NEEDS "IS" WITH THE 20D ?

Old January 7th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default WHO NEEDS "IS" WITH THE 20D ?

Here's a full-sized image that I took yesterday with my 20D.

Who needs IS when you can just crank up the ISO, roll the car window
halfway down and use it as your tripod? You know, as much as I shoot
out the car window I really do need one of those beanbag thingies.

Old January 7th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

Annika1980 wrote:
Here's a full-sized image that I took yesterday with my 20D.

Who needs IS when you can just crank up the ISO, roll the car window
halfway down and use it as your tripod? You know, as much as I shoot
out the car window I really do need one of those beanbag thingies.

wow, neat photo.

But if you did have IS you could have shoot at ISO 800 or even 400 and
had an even cleaner photo.

Scott

Old January 7th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
Here's a full-sized image that I took yesterday with my 20D.

Who needs IS when you can just crank up the ISO, roll the car window
halfway down and use it as your tripod? You know, as much as I shoot
out the car window I really do need one of those beanbag thingies.

Great!

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 7th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:
Here's a full-sized image that I took yesterday with my 20D.

Who needs IS when you can just crank up the ISO, roll the car window
halfway down and use it as your tripod? You know, as much as I shoot
out the car window I really do need one of those beanbag thingies.

That IS a great shot. Handheld at such a high ISO with no IS, even
more impressive. The car window comes in handy, as I've found out many
times. Without a solid support, I'm not as steady with the big glass
and would really appreciate the IS. I tend to agree with Scott W.
Helen

Old January 7th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jan Keirse

Annika1980 wrote:

Here's a full-sized image that I took yesterday with my 20D.

Who needs IS when you can just crank up the ISO, roll the car window
halfway down and use it as your tripod? You know, as much as I shoot
out the car window I really do need one of those beanbag thingies.

I'm a Nikon lover and there's no way this shot is gonna make me change brands,
but I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous now (I shoot at iso 1600 99% of the
time and even when shooting raw and after a noiseninja intervention my images
aren't this clean)!

But hey, you have to live with the funny control layout ;-) (just joking here,
please don't take it serious).

Regards,

Jan

ps.: But hey, there's nothing like a little noise to make a good image a
stunning one:
http://jankeirse.free.fr/dsc_8156_std.jpg
Try that without noise ;-)
--
Jan Keirse - +32 (0)485/089.786
http://jankeirse.free.fr
Old January 7th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Jan Keirse wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:

[...]

That is a great image....the noise gives it a more dramatic feeling.
Back in the early-mid 80's, I always used very high ISO film to get
this grainy effect for special reasons. Well done!
Helen

Old January 7th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jan Keirse

wrote:

http://jankeirse.free.fr/dsc_8156_std.jpg
That is a great image....the noise gives it a more dramatic feeling.
Back in the early-mid 80's, I always used very high ISO film to get
this grainy effect for special reasons. Well done!
Helen

Thanks Helen,

I still shoot high iso BW film (tri-x 400 and tmax 3200) these days for the
grain and for Ilford Multigrade IV FB Fiber (although I prefer digital for
most of my work because of the tremendous time it saves me (Labs here suck so I
have to do all processing and printing myself)).

Kind reagrds,

Jan

--
Jan Keirse - +32 (0)485/089.786
http://jankeirse.free.fr
Old January 7th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Jan Keirse wrote:
wrote:

http://jankeirse.free.fr/dsc_8156_std.jpg
That is a great image....the noise gives it a more dramatic feeling.
Back in the early-mid 80's, I always used very high ISO film to get
this grainy effect for special reasons. Well done!
Helen

Thanks Helen,

I still shoot high iso BW film (tri-x 400 and tmax 3200) these days for the
grain and for Ilford Multigrade IV FB Fiber (although I prefer digital for
most of my work because of the tremendous time it saves me (Labs here suck so I
have to do all processing and printing myself)).

Kind reagrds,

Jan

--
Jan Keirse - +32 (0)485/089.786
http://jankeirse.free.fr

I've used Kodak P3200 for years and found it a very versatile film. I
agree with you about digital though. Is it hard finding some favorite
films out in Belgium? Such as Fuji Velvia 50.