Wide Angle Lens For FF and Contax645/EOS Lens Adapter

Old October 29th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Einst Stein

Default Wide Angle Lens For FF and Contax645/EOS Lens Adapter

After a repeated failed bid on MF digital back, finally I got my
compromised 35mm DSLR.
But then I realized why 35mm FF is not always a good idea, if wide
angle lens is important.

Every medium priced under 50mm has serious cornor light fall-off. Some
have serious color shift too. This includes Canon non-L, Contax-Yashica
35mm, and Rollei 35mm, including prime and some zooms. From what I read
from dpreview's forum (canon/Kodak SLR), the canon L could be better,
but not satisfactory.

The only thing I found acceptible is Hasselblad's 50mm, but again, it
is f4 only. I don't mind to carry the bulky and heavy stuff, because
this is my down graded Med Format. The problem is, I really want a 35mm
lens. Hasselblad only goes to 40mm. The 38mm won't work on 35mm DSLR.

I can find Contax-645 35mm lens. The general comments are it's really
really good. So I really wish there is an adapter for Contax 645-to
EOS. Anyone knows if it exists? I know Contax N would be difficult (or
even impossible) to adapter to EOS, but Contax 645 should be OK.

Or, which 645 format 35mm lens is good too (Mamiya, Pentex, Fujiblad?),
and can be easily adapted to EOS?

Old October 29th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

Einst Stein wrote:
After a repeated failed bid on MF digital back, finally I got my
compromised 35mm DSLR.
But then I realized why 35mm FF is not always a good idea, if wide
angle lens is important.

Every medium priced under 50mm has serious cornor light fall-off. Some
have serious color shift too. This includes Canon non-L, Contax-Yashica
35mm, and Rollei 35mm, including prime and some zooms. From what I read
from dpreview's forum (canon/Kodak SLR), the canon L could be better,
but not satisfactory.

Do what other Canon buyers do, buy an Olympus OM, Leica or Zeiss WA.
They perform far better than what Canon has to offer. And they don't
generally have 5 stops of fall off in the corners either.
Go here and read some of the threads.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

Old October 29th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Einst Stein

I have read too much hearsays. Most are not countable. I need real
experiences from real people. I have Carl Zeiss MM 50mm/1.4, 28mm/2.8,
and Rollei 35mm/2.8. They have have serious fall-off and some color
shift. They are better than Canon's non-L (don;t know about canon L),
but still in the water.

The only thing I have that is acceptable for my personal is the
Hasselblad 50mm. I am looking for 35mm.

Old October 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Einst Stein" wrote:

FWIW, I've never heard of a lens normal or wider that didn't have some
amount of falloff wide open. Wide angles will have falloff at any aperture,
due to geometric considerations that cannot be worked around by throwing
money at them. It's the physics of light. All the digital vs. film tests
I've seen show the phenomenon to be the same on film and (FF) digital.

The good news is that unlike film, digital has a lot of latitude in the
shadows, so you can apply quite a bit of correction if it bothers you.

Or you can just stop down. These two are both with the Canon 17-40 on the
5D, no vignetting correction has been applied, and don't have falloff
problems. Any Canon prime will do just as well.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/59225146/large

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/69033566/large

I can find Contax-645 35mm lens. The general comments are it's really
really good. So I really wish there is an adapter for Contax 645-to
EOS. Anyone knows if it exists? I know Contax N would be difficult (or
even impossible) to adapter to EOS, but Contax 645 should be OK.

Or, which 645 format 35mm lens is good too (Mamiya, Pentex, Fujiblad?),
and can be easily adapted to EOS?

http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_psa.htm

The Zork PSA adapter is available for Contax, Mamiya, and Pentax 645 lenses
(and maybe others). It's expensive, but works. Here's the Mamiya 35/3.5 at
near full shift at f/11 or f/16.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/57362779/original

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 29th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

Einst Stein wrote:

But then I realized why 35mm FF is not always a good idea, if wide
angle lens is important.

Every medium priced under 50mm has serious cornor light fall-off.

Stop down a couple of stops and you should be OK ... here's an example
with the 24-105 f/4 L IS, which has awful MTF graphs wide open but
cleans up quickly by f/8 ...
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/te...m_vignette.jpg

Everytime I get a new lens I pop it on the 1Ds and shoot wide open,
then stopped down 1, 2 and 3 stops and quickly see the min aperture
required for little or no vignetting ... same with the 1.3x sensor on
the 1D M II ... this 24-105 is the worst lens I've tried but I would
never shoot at 24 mm and wide aperture so it's not a big deal in real
life.

If you use Photoshop for RAW conversions you can also use the
anti-vignette feature to clean up this kind of thing quickly.

Bill

Old October 29th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Einst Stein

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Einst Stein" wrote:

FWIW, I've never heard of a lens normal or wider that didn't have some
amount of falloff wide open. Wide angles will have falloff at any aperture,
due to geometric considerations that cannot be worked around by throwing
money at them. It's the physics of light.

All the digital vs. film tests
I've seen show the phenomenon to be the same on film and (FF) digital.

It's time to do your own test. You don't need any special set up, just
shoot a white wall with straight raw file.

You can do a photoshop twist to cover up, but that's not the same
thing.

[...]

Stop quoting things you don't have real knowledge. Zork can't convert
Contax 645 or Contax N to EOS. You are wasting your own time and might
be wasting someone else's money.

A lot of people are trusting the words you put here, So, be
reasponsible by all means.

Old October 30th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

Einst Stein wrote:
I have read too much hearsays. Most are not countable. I need real
experiences from real people. I have Carl Zeiss MM 50mm/1.4, 28mm/2.8,
and Rollei 35mm/2.8. They have have serious fall-off and some color
shift. They are better than Canon's non-L (don;t know about canon L),
but still in the water.

The only thing I have that is acceptable for my personal is the
Hasselblad 50mm. I am looking for 35mm.

And you think the users on those forums engage in hearsay? Why don't
you take a LOOK
at the equipment they use?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

Old October 30th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

"Einst Stein" wrote in message
s.com...
I have read too much hearsays. Most are not countable. I need real
experiences from real people. I have Carl Zeiss MM 50mm/1.4,
28mm/2.8,
and Rollei 35mm/2.8. They have have serious fall-off and some color
shift. They are better than Canon's non-L (don;t know about canon
L),
but still in the water.

This summary for a Canon (non-L) EF 50mm f/1.4 in the most extreme
corner:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/Imatest/LightFalloff.png
shows fall-off is approx. 0.4 stops fall-off at f/4.0 and smaller
apertures at the worst, and there is additional mechanical vignetting
at wider apertures in the order of 2 stops in total around f/1.8, and
2.5 stops at its widest setting.

That is only for a full frame 24x36mm sensor, 'cropped' designs show
hardly any vignetting, as can be concluded from the following
distribution patterns:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/Imatest/Vignetting_50mm.png
..

I don't know how often you shoot at say f/2.8 or wider, but it is
mostly a minor issue at smaller apertures, and it can be corrected in
postprocessing if it is visible at all.

--
Bart

Old November 6th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Littlewood

In article , David J. Littleboy
writes

"Einst Stein" wrote:

FWIW, I've never heard of a lens normal or wider that didn't have some
amount of falloff wide open. Wide angles will have falloff at any aperture,
due to geometric considerations that cannot be worked around by throwing
money at them. It's the physics of light. All the digital vs. film tests
I've seen show the phenomenon to be the same on film and (FF) digital.

The good news is that unlike film, digital has a lot of latitude in the
shadows, so you can apply quite a bit of correction if it bothers you.

Or you can just stop down. These two are both with the Canon 17-40 on the
5D, no vignetting correction has been applied, and don't have falloff
problems. Any Canon prime will do just as well.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/59225146/large

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/69033566/large

A well-put factual counterbalance to the piffle put out by Rich.

I can find Contax-645 35mm lens. The general comments are it's really
really good. So I really wish there is an adapter for Contax 645-to
EOS. Anyone knows if it exists? I know Contax N would be difficult (or
even impossible) to adapter to EOS, but Contax 645 should be OK.

Or, which 645 format 35mm lens is good too (Mamiya, Pentex, Fujiblad?),
and can be easily adapted to EOS?

http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_psa.htm

The Zork PSA adapter is available for Contax, Mamiya, and Pentax 645 lenses
(and maybe others). It's expensive, but works. Here's the Mamiya 35/3.5 at
near full shift at f/11 or f/16.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/57362779/original

Impressive image, David. Interesting products. The Zork website is
silent on prices; the LL review suggest $499 for the 645-35mm adapter in
the US; anyone know if this is the same in Europe? The Contax G
adaptions would have interested me very much a few years ago, but with a
mostly digital work pattern now, I'm not too sure.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old December 13th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bo-Ming Tong

Einst Stein wrote:
Stop quoting things you don't have real knowledge. Zork can't convert
Contax 645 or Contax N to EOS. You are wasting your own time and might
be wasting someone else's money.

A lot of people are trusting the words you put here, So, be
reasponsible by all means.

Einst,

It is true that Zoerk cannot convert Contax 645 or Contax N to EOS.

The difficulty here is that while all such lenses have an aperture
ring, the actual aperture is "fly-by-wire" and controlled
electronically. In order for a conversion to be useful, we need to
figure out how to control the aperture, or else you can only shoot wide
open.

However, I have already figured that out for you! Currently you can
modify the 17-35, 24-85, 70-300, 100/2.8 Makro and 85/1.4 in Contax N
mount to Canon EF mount. They will still retain autofocus and auto
aperture after conversion. Review http://en.conurus.com/ for details.

I am still working on Contax 645.

conurus