S2 or FZ20

Old June 27th 05, 11:29 AM
Ian Boyd

Default S2 or FZ20

A simple question (and please don't try to read read between the lines or
read more into it).
Take away the bells and whistles and using the cameras best settings, what
one takes the best photo at extreme telephoto the Canon S2 or the Panasonic
FZ20?

Boydie

Old June 27th 05, 11:41 AM
David J Taylor

Ian Boyd wrote:
A simple question (and please don't try to read read between the
lines or read more into it).
Take away the bells and whistles and using the cameras best settings,
what one takes the best photo at extreme telephoto the Canon S2 or
the Panasonic FZ20?

From my own results with the FZ20, and what I have seen published from the
S2 IS, probably the FZ20, but it's close and they are both pretty good, so
it may be other things which determine your final choice.

David

Old July 3rd 05, 11:06 AM
Ian Boyd

Hello,

I would be interested to find out what the camera ISO and quality settings
were used for the
photos. I am very impressed as I have been waiting for someone to post
examples from S2. Thanks for doing that for us.

Kind regards,

Boydie

"Dizzledorf" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:29:47 +1000, "Ian Boyd"
wrote:

A simple question (and please don't try to read read between the lines or
read more into it).
Take away the bells and whistles and using the cameras best settings, what
one takes the best photo at extreme telephoto the Canon S2 or the
Panasonic
FZ20?

Well, both are good. Each have slight flaws. The S2 exhibits a bit
of fringing at the extreme end of the zoom, but details are very good,
and noise is low (ISO 50). The FZ20 does a nice job on the fringing
(hardly any), but pics are a bit soft and grainy. Both are fixed
fairly easily by software.

DPReview and DCResource have galleries up for both cameras to see for
yourself.

DIZZLE

Old July 3rd 05, 03:03 PM
David J Taylor

Ian Boyd wrote:
Hello,

I would be interested to find out what the camera ISO and quality
settings were used for the
photos. I am very impressed as I have been waiting for someone to
post examples from S2. Thanks for doing that for us.

Kind regards,

Boydie

Can you look at the EXIF data to determine the settings?

Cheers,
David