Canon S2 IS review just posted at dcresource

Old July 1st 05, 03:12 AM
measekite

I read the review also. I am curious to know what your take is on the
review.

David J Taylor wrote:

Rick wrote:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=718

Great work, Jeff.

Thanks for posting that, Rick. Much as I expected - some good points,
some bad points, and some gimmicks.

David

Old July 1st 05, 03:15 AM
measekite

David Sommers wrote:

OK, technically, there are a few S1 features that were lost in the S2. The
automatic pop-up flash and the IR remote control. Since I never liked the
automatic pop-up flash - I prefer to open it when I want to use it, it's no
great loss to me. The IR remote is something I did use a few times and found
it handy. Of course, using the self-timer, available with both models, is a
decent substitute.

All in all, I like the S2 over the S1. It takes better pictures for me under
the conditions I use it most. So, I'm happy.

Bye.

If you considered the Pan FZ5 then why did you choose the S2?

"SleeperMan" wrote in message

David J Taylor wrote:

Rick wrote:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=718

Great work, Jeff.

Thanks for posting that, Rick. Much as I expected - some good points,
some bad points, and some gimmicks.

David

I must say i'm relieved, since i have it ordered and i'm getting it in a
week or two...
Basically, none of the S1 features are lost, and since i've had S1, it's
only a gain for me.

Old July 1st 05, 03:24 AM
measekite

David J Taylor wrote:

measekite wrote:

Read the review. One nice thing over the Fz5 is low light gain up on
the EVF and LCD and the swivel LCD. The FZ5 comes in black.

It appears that overall I do not see a clear advantage of (compared to
FZ5) one over the other unless I am missing something.

Does anyone out there see much difference between the two?

The Canon has better video and the swivel LCD finder, but it doesn't have
the Li-ion battery, nor does it come in black.

I prefer black also but that is not a reason to buy the Fz5 unless
everything else is the same. But the battery is a different matter. I
have read reviews that buying Rayovac 15min rechargeable is better and
cheaper in the long run. Then others have stated that one battery ie
FZ5 is better. Nobody has really stated any reason other than personal
preference. What is your take on this?

Were I buying today, I
would want to check very carefully between the two, and compare handling
in the shop.

What we have not yet seen are comparisons of the basic image quality from
the sensor and any processing, nor reports of the lens performance (which
was poor on the Canon S1, but better on the S2).

I too am waiting for comparative results. Most of any camera
comparisons I have read have been on side by side features. I do not
need pro sources for doing that as I can do that myself. As an example
I can determine that the Canon S2 has a swiveling lcd and the FZ5 does
not. And I know the advantages of having one. However, if one did not
know the advantages then just the info by itself that one has the
feature and the other does not means nothing unless the review states
why that feature is either important or unimportant and to what degree.

Cheers,
David

Old July 1st 05, 03:25 AM
measekite

tramoman wrote:

I am buying a camera like that tomorrow.
Would you prefer the Z20 or this canon??

Thanks
Manuel

Tought decision. But I have already decided that I like the FZ5 better
than the FZ20 because of size and weight. However, the Canon S2 is
another story.
Old July 1st 05, 08:24 AM
David J Taylor

measekite wrote:
[]
I prefer black also but that is not a reason to buy the Fz5 unless
everything else is the same. But the battery is a different matter. I
have read reviews that buying Rayovac 15min rechargeable is better
and cheaper in the long run. Then others have stated that one
battery ie FZ5 is better. Nobody has really stated any reason other
than personal preference. What is your take on this?

My take?

If you have a camera like the S2 IS which takes 4 AA cells, at the point
of changing batteries you need to prepare 4 cells ready to put in the
camera, perhaps putting those 4 cells into your right-hand pocket and
being jolly sure they don't short out! Then you sit down somewhere, open
the camera, turn it upside down and hope you can catch the four cells
before they start rolling about on the floor or, if you stopped on a hill,
rolling away completely. You then need to put those four cells in your
left pocket, again ensuring that they don't short out. Next comes putting
the four new AA cells in the camera. Better get them the right way up or
else! Do you have your reading glasses with you?

Get the idea?

FZ5, undo the battery catch, single cell to remove. If it does drop on
the floor it won't roll. There's only one cell, so much less chance of
shorting out. You can't put the replacement cell in the wrong way round.
Doing this "on the hoof" (while standing up) is no problem.

Of course, what you can't yet do is to pop into the corner shop and buy a
replacement primary battery should you have been foolish enough to let all
your batteries run flat.

Cheers,
David

Old July 1st 05, 11:22 AM
Larry

In article , david-
lid says...
[...]

MY TAKE:

If you are so clumsy/stupid that you cant change a set of 4 batteries without
screwing it up, you probably managed to get through chilhood without any
battery powered toys.

OTOH I myself prefer the one battery power system using one lthium cell, but
I havent ever let the type of battery used prevent me from at least trying
out a camera.

YES! the single proprietary battery system is easier to use, but a 2 or 4
cell AA battery system isnt as hard to use as people make it out to be.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old July 1st 05, 11:40 AM
David J Taylor

Larry wrote:
[]
MY TAKE:

If you are so clumsy/stupid that you cant change a set of 4 batteries
without screwing it up, you probably managed to get through chilhood
without any battery powered toys.

I am neither clumsy nor stupid.

If you have the chance to change batteries with timing and circumstances
which are under your control - that's fine. Of course changing 4 x AAs is
then no problem.

However, in real life I have found that batteries require changing at the
most awkward times - on a funicular railway when trying to take the ever
changing views, on a rolling ship, inside an Egyptian pyramid, when others
are rushing to catch a bus and so forth. Under such circumstances,
anything which causes the least bit of unnecessary inconvenience is
unwelcome.

Cheers,
David

Old July 1st 05, 08:14 PM
David J Taylor

Justín Käse wrote:
In k posted
on Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:40:55 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

However, in real life I have found that batteries require changing
at the most awkward times

That's why you should anticipate you usage level
and do a tactical reload before being caught flat empty.

Oh, yes, in an ideal world you would do that, and of course I do where
possible, but it does rely on either an accurate indication of remaining
charge or having plenty of spare batteries!
It's still easier to change 1 x Li-ion cell than 4 x AA cells,
particularly with the cylindrical format of the AAs!

Cheers,
David