Canon S2 IS review just posted at dcresource

Old June 12th 05, 10:52 AM
David J Taylor

Default Canon S2 IS review just posted at dcresource

Rick wrote:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=718

Great work, Jeff.

Thanks for posting that, Rick. Much as I expected - some good points,
some bad points, and some gimmicks.

David

Old June 12th 05, 07:25 PM
SleeperMan

David J Taylor wrote:
Rick wrote:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=718

Great work, Jeff.

Thanks for posting that, Rick. Much as I expected - some good points,
some bad points, and some gimmicks.

David

I must say i'm relieved, since i have it ordered and i'm getting it in a
week or two...
Basically, none of the S1 features are lost, and since i've had S1, it's
only a gain for me.

Old June 13th 05, 12:18 AM
David Sommers

OK, technically, there are a few S1 features that were lost in the S2. The
automatic pop-up flash and the IR remote control. Since I never liked the
automatic pop-up flash - I prefer to open it when I want to use it, it's no
great loss to me. The IR remote is something I did use a few times and found
it handy. Of course, using the self-timer, available with both models, is a
decent substitute.

All in all, I like the S2 over the S1. It takes better pictures for me under
the conditions I use it most. So, I'm happy.

Bye.

Old June 13th 05, 01:20 AM
Bill Again

How do you find the light assisted AF? Under what lighting conditions is it
effective?

I recall reading a review of an early Canon (probably 5 years ago) where the
reviewer set it up in his garden at night and a combination of the light
assisted AF and automatic exposure produced a picture of his flower bed by
moonlight that had incredible detail and depth. My guess is that it is not
on a par with this but I would be pleased to hear more about it.

Robert R.

Old June 16th 05, 07:20 AM
measekite

Read the review. One nice thing over the Fz5 is low light gain up on
the EVF and LCD and the swivel LCD. The FZ5 comes in black.

It appears that overall I do not see a clear advantage of (compared to
FZ5) one over the other unless I am missing something.

Does anyone out there see much difference between the two?

Old June 16th 05, 09:07 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:20:11 GMT, measekite
wrote:

Read the review. One nice thing over the Fz5 is low light gain up on
the EVF and LCD and the swivel LCD. The FZ5 comes in black.

It appears that overall I do not see a clear advantage of (compared to
FZ5) one over the other unless I am missing something.

Does anyone out there see much difference between the two?

The FZ5 is smaller, but it doesn't have the swivelling
viewfinder.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old June 16th 05, 09:41 AM
David J Taylor

measekite wrote:
Read the review. One nice thing over the Fz5 is low light gain up on
the EVF and LCD and the swivel LCD. The FZ5 comes in black.

It appears that overall I do not see a clear advantage of (compared to
FZ5) one over the other unless I am missing something.

Does anyone out there see much difference between the two?

The Canon has better video and the swivel LCD finder, but it doesn't have
the Li-ion battery, nor does it come in black. Were I buying today, I
would want to check very carefully between the two, and compare handling
in the shop.

What we have not yet seen are comparisons of the basic image quality from
the sensor and any processing, nor reports of the lens performance (which
was poor on the Canon S1, but better on the S2).

Cheers,
David

Old June 16th 05, 04:45 PM
tramoman

I am buying a camera like that tomorrow.
Would you prefer the Z20 or this canon??

Thanks
Manuel

Old June 16th 05, 05:25 PM
David J Taylor

tramoman wrote:
I am buying a camera like that tomorrow.
Would you prefer the Z20 or this canon??

Handle them both and see which you prefer - I would probably still get the
Panasonic FZ5 because it is lighter, and weight means a lot to me.

David

Old June 17th 05, 12:54 PM
Jan Böhme

David J Taylor wrote:

What we have not yet seen are comparisons of the basic image quality from
the sensor and any processing, nor reports of the lens performance (which
was poor on the Canon S1, but better on the S2).

Cyberphoto, the leading Swedish online camera store, haven't compared
the image quality of Canon S2IS and Panasonic FZ5 (or FZ20) directly.
However, they are very impressed with the absence of significant
chromatic aberration in the Panasonic cameras. "Has suprisingly little
problem with CA despite the large zoom range" is what they on FZ5 and
for the earlier FZ20 model the phrasing is similar: "It is remarkable
that the camera doesn't display more CA, considering the long zoom
range". OTOH, the verdict for the Canon S2IS is "the optics has some
problems with CA, which isn't uncommon with big zoom ranges" - i. e.
much more of "par for the course, but not really better than that".

Beside risk for more CA, it ****es me off that Canon didn't include a
hotshoe on the S2 IS. The tilt-and swivel LCD is nice, but most useful
for candid portraits - many of which are taken indoors, with flash. And
the pop-up flashes that come with these cameras are admittedly a lot
better than nothing Yet, firstly their guide number is nothing to write
home about, and secondly, you only get your flash straight on the
subject, with all that this means for harsh shadows and highlights. And
if I have understood things right, the slave flasch that Canon sells as
an acessory to the S2 IS only provides a better guide number, not the
possibillity of bouncing the flash.

I suppose that what I really would like is a Panasonic FZ20 with a
tilt-and-swivel LCD, and, preferably, a faster EVF refresh rate.

Jan B=F6hme