Finally , Nikon named its image processor!

Old September 4th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Finally , Nikon named its image processor!

On Sep 2, 6:38 pm, Brendan Gillatt
wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 14:10:50 -0700, wrote:
On Sep 3, 3:46 pm, Dave Cohen wrote:
Olympus' engine is called 3-ASICs (Application Specific Integrated
Circuit)

I think you may have slightly the wrong end of the stick there - an
ASIC, in the elctronics industry, is just another name for a custom
built chip, usually with the client's logo stamped on the top. The
'3-ASICs' name would imply that the particular camera has 3 such chips
inside it.
See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asic
--
Brendan Gillattwww.brendangillatt.co.uk
GPG: 0xBACD7433

You are correct. Olympus' image sensor engine is called TruePic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TruePic

However, I thought I recall that saw about 3-ASIC being mentioned in
Olympus website for their image processor in their earlier pro DSLR
E-1. But I could be wrong.

Old September 4th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
peter

wrote in message
oups.com...
There were Sony's Bionz, Lumix's Venus III and Canon Digic III image
processor engines. However, we never heard an official name of Nikon's
image processor engine..... until now. Nikon has finally announced its
new EXPEED image processor engine.

How is this name useful to consumers, I wonder. Are people still impressed
by unknown terms?

I don't see automobile manufacturers publishing names of their engine
management computers.

Old September 4th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Trev

"peter" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
There were Sony's Bionz, Lumix's Venus III and Canon Digic III image
processor engines. However, we never heard an official name of Nikon's
image processor engine..... until now. Nikon has finally announced its
new EXPEED image processor engine.

How is this name useful to consumers, I wonder. Are people still impressed
by unknown terms?

I don't see automobile manufacturers publishing names of their engine
management computers.

Would you admit it has windows ME

Old September 6th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Beladi Nasralla

On Sep 3, 8:46 pm, Beladi Nasralla wrote:
On Sep 3, 8:26 pm, wrote:

... new EXPEED image processor engine.

Sounds like EX (former) and PEE.

Also, EXPEED sounds to me like "expired". Not a good name for any high-
tech expensive product the sales of which are based on brand image !

Old September 17th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
The One[_2_]

I guess Nikon does not want to be left behind by the competitors in
trying to entice the consumers with all of the fancy "engine"

SNIP

Unfortunately Nikon are only now making full frame 12 megapixel camaera,
Canon were doing this 3 years ago, I rest my case.........

Old October 24th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
The One[_2_]

"Beladi Nasralla" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 3, 8:26 pm, wrote:

... new EXPEED image processor engine.

Sounds like EX (former) and PEE.

Nikons are behind the times, it will take more than a fancy name to make
them good again.

Nikon: 9 megapixel short and 3 years too late. (Canon 1DS MKIII v's Nikon
D3)

or

Nikon: 0.7 megapixel short and 2 years too late. (Canon 5D v's Nikon D3)

Old October 24th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
nospam

In article , The One
wrote:

Nikons are behind the times, it will take more than a fancy name to make
them good again.

Nikon: 9 megapixel short and 3 years too late. (Canon 1DS MKIII v's Nikon
D3)

or

Nikon: 0.7 megapixel short and 2 years too late. (Canon 5D v's Nikon D3)

the nikon d3 is competing with the 1d mark iii (and winning), not the
1ds nor the 5d.
Old October 24th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
SMS

On Sep 3, 8:26 pm, wrote:

... new EXPEED image processor engine.

Sounds like EX (former) and PEE.

Nikons are behind the times, it will take more than a fancy name to make
them good again.

Nikon: 9 megapixel short and 3 years too late. (Canon 1DS MKIII v's Nikon
D3)

or

Nikon: 0.7 megapixel short and 2 years too late. (Canon 5D v's Nikon D3)

Nikon is playing catch-up, but they're doing a pretty good job of it
lately. The two segments where they lag are both in full-frame. They
have no competitor (yet) to the EOS-1Ds Mark III, or the 5D, but give
them time and I'm sure they will.