D70s or D200 ?

Old March 16th 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

Default D70s or D200 ?

You have right Rita. I have forgot it, thanks to remind me.
--
Dimitris M

On D70 you press the WB button and with the wheel you choose the WB
you need. If you want to calibrate a custom WB (preset), then yes,
you have to go through the menu. Then you can choose it among the
others with the wheel as usual.

That's not entirely true. You can set or "calibrate" a custom WB by
simply
holding the WB button down for several seconds till the top LCD screen
starts flashing letting you know that it's time to release the shutter.
You
can do the same via the menu, but it's miserably long doing it that way.

Old March 16th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

"Dimitris M" wrote in message
D50 have no better image quality than D70. D50 have more "consumer" like
image, as it includes noise reduction algorithms and process ala Canon. In
D70s, Nikon continues the same as in D70. They does not include such a
process, as they believe that is better to post process for noise. They
assume that D70 is addressed to power users (prosumers) and D50 to
amateurs.

My opinion is that they have well done. Post NR is far better. In D200,
after the marketing success of 20D they have decided to include noise
reduction to, but user selectable and ajustable.

The above refers to high ISO noise reduction, not to the long exposure NR.
--
Dimitris M

The D50 has a different sensor than the D70s, perhaps that could be the
difference in image quality between the two. I can't tell the difference,
so I won't even enter into this debate over which is better but there are
different sensors in the two cameras.

Old March 16th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Dimitris M" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe a different AA filter is a more likely answer. I doubt they have
another source for a different 6Mp sensor.
Old March 16th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

Per Dimitris M:
Anyway, to set again the
remote mode is two click only.

Agreed, but the user has to get to the camera first....
--
PeteCresswell

Old March 17th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

l e o wrote:

Can you give us a reason why D50 has better image quality than D70s,
considering they are released at the same time?

http://www.bythom.com/D50REVIEW.htm

Note that although Thom Hogan says in his summary that overall image
quality is no better than the D70s except for ISO performance, the text
of his review contradicts that. I think part of the problem that Hogan
has with the D50 is that it is more "Canon-like," as he puts it, and
one thing about Thom Hogan: he really likes the Nikon look in pictures.

This is a typical review of the D50. The D70s is identical to the D70
except for the slightly larger LCD. You can even download the D70s
software to your D70 on the Nikon web site.

The D50 does have a different sensor according to every review that I
have read. Image quality is almost invariably reported to be better in
the reviews, especially lower noise and a more pleasing tonal range.

What the D70 gives you is two command dials. With the D50 you have to
hold down a button and turn the command dial to set aperture manually.
Some reviewers like the D50 setup; others don't. Thom Hogan hated it.

Hogan also thought the auto-focus was too slow.

Old March 17th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

What are the differences? I plan to shoot at a low resolution (I only put
pictures on the web), so the 10 MP vs 6 MP does nothing for me. I see the
70s has some modes, which the 200 doesn't have. (It assumes you're a pro
and know how to tweak every parameter yourself.) They both have the fill
flash mode, which I need for the Mermaid Parade. The difference in price
is
not an issue.

The thing that could convince me the extra weight is worth it is the 200
taking better pictures on full auto using the same resolution. The press
release says the 200 has a new sensor. Is it actually better? Or just
newer
technology with more pixels?

To the curious as to which lens I'm getting: the 18-200 VR, which is so
back ordered that it may not even be shipping right now.

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).

Don, I have used the D70, and the D200. I just bought a D200 and glad that I
did. It take much better pictures. Takes a little more work to learn, and I
am still learning, but it does seem to be very worth the effort.

Hope it helps.

Rob

Old March 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

l e o wrote:

Maybe a different AA filter is a more likely answer. I doubt they have
another source for a different 6Mp sensor.

LOL, do you thing that their source only makes one 6Mp sensor of that size?
Old March 17th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

cjcampbell wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

Personally, I think the choice now is between the D50 and the D200.
Yes, the D70s has some extra features, but the consensus is that the
D50 has better picture quality.

So why is the D50 better picture quality and by how much and in what ways?

If you are just ordering a camera for a collection, what do you care
what it weighs? If you want to take pictures, you have to decide for
yourself whether the extra resolution and features of the D200 are
worth the extra money and weight.