SD Cards

Old May 20th 05, 01:06 PM
Bill Again

Default SD Cards

I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various cards
including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly 512MB.

Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files on the
card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to recover the files,
but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone
have an answer to it?

Bill

Old May 20th 05, 02:07 PM
David J Taylor

Bill Again wrote:
I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various
cards including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly
512MB.
Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files
on the card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to
recover the files, but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had
this problem? Does anyone have an answer to it?

Our experience with the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5 has shown no problems with
512MB Kingmax, 1GB Kingmax and 1GB SanDisk Ultra II SD cards. Do the
cards read back in the camera OK - if so I would suspect your card reader,
its software, or hardware connection. If not, do you ever remove the
cards with the power on in the camera, or does your camera perhaps have a
bad SD card connection or unreliable battery?

David

Old May 20th 05, 06:09 PM
Robert Klemme

David J Taylor wrote:
Bill Again wrote:
I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various
cards including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly
512MB.
Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files
on the card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to
recover the files, but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had
this problem? Does anyone have an answer to it?

Our experience with the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5 has shown no problems
with 512MB Kingmax, 1GB Kingmax and 1GB SanDisk Ultra II SD cards.
Do the cards read back in the camera OK - if so I would suspect your
card reader, its software, or hardware connection. If not, do you
ever remove the cards with the power on in the camera, or does your
camera perhaps have a bad SD card connection or unreliable battery?

I'm using a Sandisk 512MB Ultra II SD card and never had problems. I
always read it through the camera.

HTH

robert

Old May 21st 05, 03:02 PM
Bill Again

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...
Bill Again wrote:
I often get problems with my Lumix 10 and SD cards. I use various
cards including Panasonic and SanDisk, and in various sizes - mainly
512MB.
Two times out of ten my card reader reports that there are no files
on the card. File recovery software finds them and allows me to
recover the files, but this is really tedious.. Has anyone else had
this problem? Does anyone have an answer to it?

Our experience with the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5 has shown no problems with
512MB Kingmax, 1GB Kingmax and 1GB SanDisk Ultra II SD cards. Do the
cards read back in the camera OK - if so I would suspect your card reader,
its software, or hardware connection. If not, do you ever remove the
cards with the power on in the camera, or does your camera perhaps have a
bad SD card connection or unreliable battery?

David

Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax names,
there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from despite their give
away prices.

This is my 7th digi and I have experience with many types of cards, it is
only the SD cards that I have ever had problems with. Naturally enough I
take care when removing the cards, and in general use them correctly. Why
they occasionally freeze up is a mystery to me.

You mention the 1gb Ultra II. Does anyone know if they are compatible with
the FZ10?

Best regards,

Bill

Old May 21st 05, 03:17 PM
David J Taylor

Bill Again wrote:
[]
Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax
names, there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from
despite their give away prices.

Kingmax are high-performance cards - not no-name ones:

http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/news/news..._p20040303.htm

Cheers,
David

Old May 21st 05, 03:58 PM
Bill Again

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...
Bill Again wrote:
[]
Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax
names, there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from
despite their give away prices.

Kingmax are high-performance cards - not no-name ones:

http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/news/news..._p20040303.htm

Cheers,
David

Misunderstanding. I didn't mean to imply that Kingmax were no name cards,
merely that I didn't recognise them BUT that there are lots of others here,
mainly rubbish.

Thanks,

Bill

Old May 21st 05, 04:48 PM
David J Taylor

Bill Again wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...
Bill Again wrote:
[]
Thanks for this. Over here in Germany I don't recognise the Kingmax
names, there are various "no name" cards which I stay away from
despite their give away prices.

Kingmax are high-performance cards - not no-name ones:

http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/news/news..._p20040303.htm

Cheers,
David

Misunderstanding. I didn't mean to imply that Kingmax were no name
cards, merely that I didn't recognise them BUT that there are lots of
others here, mainly rubbish.

Thanks,

Bill

Fine, Bill. I havdn't heard of Kingmax before, either.

I just read about an SD card which was too thck for a card reader as it
was literally re-badged, and the reseller's stick-on label was thick
enough to intefere with the card fitting in the reader!

Cheers,
David