Rodinal

Old March 19th 04, 11:51 PM
Hektor Gonzal

Default Rodinal

Hi all,

Rodinal is not available in Turkey. I believe it is because in part Agfa's
low profile marketing strategy. Anyway, I read a lot about Rodinal and
decided to try it. I bought some rodinal in the U.S and am ready to give it
a shot. It is half a liter bottle of Rodinal. I was hoping that it has a
long shelf life like the T-Max developer I mainly use and bought the larger
bottle. T-Max developer has a shelf life of 2 years in proper conditions. As
I do not develop not more than 1-2 rolls of film in a week, shelf life is
important to me.

In the leaflet of rodinal, it says once the original bottle has been opened,
the stock will keep for 6 months. I know Rodinal is very concentrated like
the T-Max and I am wondering if keeping the stock rodinal in air tight brown
glass bottles (trying not to leave any air in the bottles by moving the
stock in smaller bottles as it is consumed) will help extend the life of
stock rodinal over 6 months.

I have another question. I use 300 ml of working solution to develop 35 mm.
films. the 1+50 dilution requires really little amounts of stock developer.
Is there a threshold for the stock amount to be used, any minumum limits?

Thank you all for helping me. Kind regards,

Alparslan

Old March 20th 04, 12:37 AM
Jorge Omar

Rodinal is a very long lasting dev - years.

In the past, when I used it (it's not available in Brazil, also - same
Agfa problem as in Turkey) I used an hypodermic syringe and a thick
needle through the (then, don't know nowadays) rubber cap to take 5cc out
of it and solve in 250cc of water.

Jorge

"Hektor Gonzal" wrote in
:

Old March 20th 04, 05:29 PM
Jorge Omar

John

It's going, albeit slowly.
I already have all the LEDs, the optical front silvered mirrors for the
lightbox are cut to size, monday I will have the LEDs mounting plate
ready.
Then I can start the first preliminary tests (light eveness, etc) before
assembling the light source in the enlarger head in place of the lamp.

Jorge

"John Walton" wrote in
:

Old March 22nd 04, 04:43 AM
nicholas

Hektor Gonzal wrote:
Hi all,

Rodinal is not available in Turkey. I believe it is because in part Agfa's
low profile marketing strategy. Anyway, I read a lot about Rodinal and
decided to try it. I bought some rodinal in the U.S and am ready to give it
a shot. It is half a liter bottle of Rodinal. I was hoping that it has a
long shelf life like the T-Max developer I mainly use and bought the larger
bottle. T-Max developer has a shelf life of 2 years in proper conditions. As
I do not develop not more than 1-2 rolls of film in a week, shelf life is
important to me.

Seen this?
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=004r8U
I know alot of you might have, here it is just in case it provides some
use...
Old March 22nd 04, 03:39 PM
Gary Beasley

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:18:52 -0800, "Alparslan"
wrote:

"Jorge Omar" wrote in message
. 4...
Rodinal is a very long lasting dev - years.

In the past, when I used it (it's not available in Brazil, also - same
Agfa problem as in Turkey) I used an hypodermic syringe and a thick
needle through the (then, don't know nowadays) rubber cap to take 5cc out
of it and solve in 250cc of water.

Jorge

Hi,
then, are suggesting 10 ml. is not the minimum limit per roll of 35 mm. film
no matter how much solution there is? Just trying to clarify. I am bit
confused as there are different claims about the minimum amount. Meanwhile I
will use 10 ml. minimum to be on the safe side. Regards.

Rodinal is often used in very low concentrations.
This tactic is useful in limiting highlight density and contrast in
certain films, also useful in stand developing to increase edge
effects for acutance. For instance at 1:200 for 120 film I would use
about 2 1/4 cc to 15 oz water, agitate for 1 minute then let stand for
the next hour with no agitation. Contrast is controlled by changing
the concentration by careful degrees until the best results are
obtained. Rodinal seems to have an unlimited capacity to develop even
at very low concentration, though I'm sure there is a practical limit
somewhere.
Old March 22nd 04, 03:42 PM
Tobias Begalke

Alparslan wrote:
Hi,
then, are suggesting 10 ml. is not the minimum limit per roll of 35 mm. film
no matter how much solution there is? Just trying to clarify. I am bit
confused as there are different claims about the minimum amount. Meanwhile I
will use 10 ml. minimum to be on the safe side. Regards.

10ml per roll is overkill. The 10ml recommendation Agfa gives seems to
be mostly based on them wanting to sell Rodinal. You can safely use 5ml.
I get consistent results with 4ml Rodinal + 300ml water (1+75).

Cheers,
Tobias
Old March 22nd 04, 07:26 PM
Jorge Omar

I've NEVER used the 10cc minimum!
And I have a relative that was a pro photographer (nowadays he's a pro
videomaker) that used only Rodinal and never said anything regarding the
10cc minimum.

Agfa wants to sell more Rodinal...

Jorge

"Alparslan" wrote in
:

Old March 22nd 04, 11:46 PM
Dan Quinn

"Alparslan" wrote

Hi,
then, are suggesting 10 ml. is not the minimum limit per roll of 35
mm. film no matter how much solution there is? Just trying to clarify.
I am bit confused as there are different claims about the minimum
amount. Meanwhile I will use 10 ml. minimum to be on the safe
side. Regards.

I don't care how long a 500ml bottle of Rodinal will last. If I had
that much and used it that little I'd put it into 4, 125ml brown Boston
Rounds equipped with Polycone or Polyseal caps.
No one has mentioned the film to be processed. I've not run tests but
my understanding is that high speed films require more chemistry than
slow speed films.
An aside: FX-1 results have been reported to be very nearly the
same as Rodinal's. I think both can be considered high ph, very active,
compensating developers and the more compensating the higher the
dilution.
I'm with you on the amount of chemistry although 10ml may be more
than enough for most occasions. I'd steer clear of the give or take
a .1 or .2 ml. for the purpose of contrast control. After all the
amount of silver to be reduced will vary from roll to roll.
Likely the best approach is to vary the dilution. Using an oversize
tank has been suggested and one I've adopted when using FX-1. Dan