Nikon D70, dirty dots on exposures

Old January 16th 05, 12:24 PM
Dimitri

Default Nikon D70, dirty dots on exposures

ok, first a question about those little blurry dots i get. they don't
stay long, they seem to move around, but when i make pictures with a
flat background, like the whole image is just a nice blue sky, i get
these blurry dots all over. sometimes up to 4-5. they stay for a while
and then new once apear somewhere else.

is it just a matter of cleaning the matrix?

any advice welcome
Old January 16th 05, 03:53 PM
C J Campbell

"Dimitri" wrote in message
m...
ok, first a question about those little blurry dots i get. they don't
stay long, they seem to move around, but when i make pictures with a
flat background, like the whole image is just a nice blue sky, i get
these blurry dots all over

They are dust specks on your sensor.

Old January 16th 05, 05:31 PM
sid derra

"Dimitri" wrote in message
m...
ok, first a question about those little blurry dots i get. they don't
stay long, they seem to move around, but when i make pictures with a
flat background, like the whole image is just a nice blue sky, i get
these blurry dots all over. sometimes up to 4-5. they stay for a while
and then new once apear somewhere else.

is it just a matter of cleaning the matrix?

any advice welcome

check out http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning - his method works
perfectly on my d70.

rock on - sid

Old January 17th 05, 08:34 AM
Roger

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:31:38 +0100, "sid derra"
wrote:

"Dimitri" wrote in message
om...
ok, first a question about those little blurry dots i get. they don't
stay long, they seem to move around, but when i make pictures with a
flat background, like the whole image is just a nice blue sky, i get
these blurry dots all over. sometimes up to 4-5. they stay for a while
and then new once apear somewhere else.

is it just a matter of cleaning the matrix?

any advice welcome

check out http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning - his method works
perfectly on my d70.

For that price I can take the D-70 down to the local camera shop quite
a few times.

After nearly a year of shooting with a lot of outdoor photography in
hot dusty conditions I have only had dust spots show up once.

A little air and it was as good as new.

I don't stick anything in there.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

rock on - sid

Old January 17th 05, 08:47 PM
Howard McCollister

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:31:38 +0100, "sid derra"
wrote:

"Dimitri" wrote in message
. com...
ok, first a question about those little blurry dots i get. they don't
stay long, they seem to move around, but when i make pictures with a
flat background, like the whole image is just a nice blue sky, i get
these blurry dots all over. sometimes up to 4-5. they stay for a while
and then new once apear somewhere else.

is it just a matter of cleaning the matrix?

any advice welcome

check out http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning - his method works
perfectly on my d70.

For that price I can take the D-70 down to the local camera shop quite
a few times.

After nearly a year of shooting with a lot of outdoor photography in
hot dusty conditions I have only had dust spots show up once.

A little air and it was as good as new.

I don't stick anything in there.

Not to reprise the sensor swabbing thread, but I too have found that a
couple of blasts with a Giotto Rocket blower takes care of the majority of
sensor dust. I used to use PecPads/Eclipse, but now have gone entirely to
the Sensor Brush.

This photo is from a poster on DP Review and is an example of what happens
when you use TWO drops of Eclipse on a PecPad instead of ONE drop...
http://www.pbase.com/amitis/image/35830403

HMc

Old January 17th 05, 09:12 PM
sid derra

"Howard McCollister" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:31:38 +0100, "sid derra"
wrote:

"Dimitri" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

did you read the whole article? all these issues are addressed there pretty
much.

sid

Old January 17th 05, 09:15 PM
sid derra

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:31:38 +0100, "sid derra"
wrote:

"Dimitri" wrote in message
om...
[...]

hey roger.

the only "real" camera store (apart from the ritz empire) is national camera
exchange, which refuses to sell any photographic solutions equipment and
charges 45 dollars for sensor cleaning. i could have ordered the stuff for
about 20 bucks from other places, but i decided to go with the kit as it
includes the swab that the author writes about and the instructions are
tweaked for.

i don't force anyone to try this, just sharing my experiences.

sid