Canon should be totally ashamed of this (and some others too) HP got this basic and absolutely essential thing right in their little digicam that's cheap even for a P&S, so why can't Canon?!! Yes, I know, there's more to the Canon 20D, but w

Old November 10th 04, 03:16 AM
Mike Henley

Default Canon should be totally ashamed of this (and some others too) HP got this basic and absolutely essential thing right in their little digicam that's cheap even for a P&S, so why can't Canon?!! Yes, I know, there's more to the Canon 20D, but w

Here's the white balance test of the Canon 20D D-SLR

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page21.asp (Ootdoors:
Excellent, Fluorescent: Average, Incandescent: Poor)

Here's the white balance test of the budget P&S HP Photosmart R707

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hpr707/page6.asp (Outdoors: Excellent,
Fluorescent: Excellent, Incandescent: Excellent)
Old November 10th 04, 04:13 AM
Renee

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
om...
Here's the white balance test of the Canon 20D D-SLR

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page21.asp (Ootdoors:
Excellent, Fluorescent: Average, Incandescent: Poor)

Here's the white balance test of the budget P&S HP Photosmart R707

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hpr707/page6.asp (Outdoors: Excellent,
Fluorescent: Excellent, Incandescent: Excellent)

You don't seem to quite understand what this test means.

This is a test of using Canon's AUTO white balance, the AWB, accessed
through the function menu. It is *not* the results of simply, as you say
"the white balance test". It is the AUTO white balance test. The reviewer
doesn't show the results of using the other various white balance PRESETS.
The presets are choices such as Daylight, Fluorescent, Tungsten, Cloudy,
etc.

Although I have entirely different type of Canon, on my Canon the AWB
setting makes my photos come out a little more orange.

When I use the TUNGSTEN preset indoors, not AWB, the photo color comes out
fine.

I'd guess that the Canon 20D D-SLR has settings similar to my Canon SLR-type
model.

Even I know (as one who doesn't know much about cameras) that you have to
experiment with some of the settings instead of just using AUTOMATIC mode
for everything.

Old November 10th 04, 04:35 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Renee" wrote in message

You don't seem to quite understand what this test means.

This is a test of using Canon's AUTO white balance, the AWB, accessed
through the function menu. It is *not* the results of simply, as you say
"the white balance test". It is the AUTO white balance test. The reviewer
doesn't show the results of using the other various white balance PRESETS.
The presets are choices such as Daylight, Fluorescent, Tungsten, Cloudy,
etc.

Sounds like HP simply chose to allow the camera to make much larger changes
in automatic mode. That is something that would annoy a professional
photographer, though it's handy for casual snapshooting. The pro would want
the automatic changes to be relatively small so as not to produce unexpected
results.

Old November 10th 04, 06:26 AM
Will M

You truly don't know anything do you Mike?

Study photography and learn something about colour temperature.

Old November 10th 04, 11:11 AM
Jaxak

My Ferrari does not have a traction control, so the wheels spin if I his the
gas pedal too much. Friends BMW has it, shame shame on you Ferrari. Because
this is a photoforum, I should also add that I don't own a digital camera,
because I'm too stupid to use it

Old November 10th 04, 12:41 PM
Des Perado

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
om...
Here's the white balance test of the Canon 20D D-SLR

I do wish people would steer clear of subjects they obviously do not
understand.

I do wish people would learn that the subject line is for a brief subject
line and not for an essay.

Old November 10th 04, 01:27 PM
BG250

Cameras that try to get white balance right in every situation are actually
not desirable. Say your taking a picture of wood furniture of a light color,
like the natural wood. White balance could be tricked into thinking it is
incandescent light and make the wood look dull grey. Serious photogs will
manually set the WB or use Kelvin if the camera supports that.
bg

Old November 10th 04, 02:03 PM
Skip M

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
om...
Here's the white balance test of the Canon 20D D-SLR

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page21.asp (Ootdoors:
Excellent, Fluorescent: Average, Incandescent: Poor)

Here's the white balance test of the budget P&S HP Photosmart R707

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hpr707/page6.asp (Outdoors: Excellent,
Fluorescent: Excellent, Incandescent: Excellent)

Dude, why did you even bother to type anything in the message box? Your
subject line didn't even fit on my 19" monitor. Geez, keep it short.
And next time, don't troll.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com