Panasonic FZ30 and iPod Connector(s)

Old April 23rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Panasonic FZ30 and iPod Connector(s)

Some weeks ago, in preparation for an overseas trip, I bought a Belkin
Digital Camera Link, to dump photos from my FZ30 to the 4th Gen 40GB
iPod.

It refused to connect, claiming that 'no card was inserted' and with the
older Canon A40 camera's CF cards the iPod actually crashed. I returned
the Belkin and replaced it with an Apple Connector, only to find that it
would only talk to 5th Gen Video iPods, Nanos or iPod Photos.

So I got a new iPod Video, plugged everything in and, as expected, it
just worked. Even though Panasonic cameras are not listed at the Apple
Compatibility web site

Until today. The FZ30 was stolen in a burglary and I thought I would
just check that the replacement was working......."No card connected"

NGAAAA!!!

This time I KNEW it must work as the iPod still has photos on board from
the other Panasonic.

After a lot of trials I found that for a successful connection I had to
either set up the camera with the cables and Connector joined and then,
only then, plug the Connector into the iPod. Or, the other way round,
have the iPod, Connector and cable all set, then plug them into the
camera.

Plugging the Connector into the iPod, the cable into the camera, then
linking the cable to the connector is the problem.

It may well have been the problem with the Belkin and 4th Gen iPod.

--
~Dibley