OT? Panasonic FZ20, first shots in low light

Old June 17th 05, 09:22 AM
David J Taylor

Default OT? Panasonic FZ20, first shots in low light

Ryadia wrote:
Lets start a precedent for this group and accept a post clearly not
about a DSLR, shall we?

If anyone is interested, I shot some low light pics with the new
Panasonic FZ20 I bought last week. I bought it to shoot silently
inside churches and for those moments when the DSLRs are just too
clumsy. http://www.technoaussie.com/gallery/FZ20-Pics

I might point out it's performance in good light is not too shabby at
all. And all the chatter about high noise in low light doesn't seem to
be as bad in real life!

Douglas

The folks in the newsgroup:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

would probably be interested as well. I have stuck with the lowest ISO
setting (80) when using my FZ5, and my observation is that at long
exposures it may do an automatic dark frame subtraction. Haven't played
enough to confirm that, though.

Which, specifically, are the low-light shots in that gallery?

David

Old June 17th 05, 11:21 AM
Ryadia@home

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message k...

Douglas

The folks in the newsgroup:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

would probably be interested as well. I have stuck with the lowest ISO
setting (80) when using my FZ5, and my observation is that at long
exposures it may do an automatic dark frame subtraction. Haven't played
enough to confirm that, though.

Which, specifically, are the low-light shots in that gallery?

David

Maybe your idea of low light and mine might vary.
I thought f2.8 at 1/20th and ISO 200 was low light but on reflection, maybe
it's just natural light indoors. anyway, to shoot the same with a 20D (hand
held of course) would require 1/125th to avoid shutter shudder fuz so a 20D,
DSLR would need to either be on a tripod or use considerable higher ISO
number than the FZ. The noise thing is, I think, blown out of proportions
too. If you can shoot a scene at 200 ISO which requires 800 ISO from a low
noise camera, then high noise at high ISO doesn't have the same meaning as
the numbers would seem to suggest.

I though my post would interest those who use their cameras inside without
flash. The inside shots were in my reception area which has no windows, only
reflected light from the gallery area. I used to be able to take OK (hand
held) shots with my 10D at 1/60th with an IS lens but I would never attempt
that with a 20D due to the increased mirror slap.

Over all, I think that I cannot do without my DSLRs but I also think that
rangefinder cameras have a lot of benefit in questionable lighting. Although
I had mixed lighting, Fluros, tungsten and daylight, the FZ read it better
tahn the Canons do.

Douglas

Old June 17th 05, 12:06 PM
David J Taylor

Ryadia@home wrote:
[]
Maybe your idea of low light and mine might vary.
I thought f2.8 at 1/20th and ISO 200 was low light but on reflection,
maybe it's just natural light indoors. anyway, to shoot the same with
a 20D (hand held of course) would require 1/125th to avoid shutter
shudder fuz so a 20D, DSLR would need to either be on a tripod or use
considerable higher ISO number than the FZ. The noise thing is, I
think, blown out of proportions too. If you can shoot a scene at 200
ISO which requires 800 ISO from a low noise camera, then high noise
at high ISO doesn't have the same meaning as the numbers would seem
to suggest.

Living where I do, such light levels are not unknown outdoors in the
Winter!, but yes, having the IS allows hand-held with the FZ20 where a
higher ISO on a DSLR would be another way of getting a similar result.

I though my post would interest those who use their cameras inside
without flash. The inside shots were in my reception area which has
no windows, only reflected light from the gallery area. I used to be
able to take OK (hand held) shots with my 10D at 1/60th with an IS
lens but I would never attempt that with a 20D due to the increased
mirror slap.
Over all, I think that I cannot do without my DSLRs but I also think
that rangefinder cameras have a lot of benefit in questionable
lighting. Although I had mixed lighting, Fluros, tungsten and
daylight, the FZ read it better tahn the Canons do.

Thanks for the report. I guess that low-light to me means inside churches
where you're trying to photograph the architecture. I recently had some
2-second shots with the FZ20 in Barcelona Cathedral with the camera firmly
wedged (poor man's tripod) and was very pleased with the results. Laying
the camera on its back is my favourite trick for ceiling photos, but the
protuberances on today's cameras don't make this easy!

Cheers,
David

Old June 17th 05, 08:13 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:06:28 GMT, David J Taylor

wrote:

Thanks for the report. I guess that low-light to me means inside churches
where you're trying to photograph the architecture. I recently had some
2-second shots with the FZ20 in Barcelona Cathedral with the camera firmly
wedged (poor man's tripod) and was very pleased with the results.

Do you have these online? Care to post a link? I am fond of
Barcelona and I would enjoy seeing these photos.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old June 17th 05, 08:18 PM
David J Taylor

wrote:

Thanks for the report. I guess that low-light to me means inside
churches where you're trying to photograph the architecture. I
recently had some 2-second shots with the FZ20 in Barcelona
Cathedral with the camera firmly wedged (poor man's tripod) and was
very pleased with the results.

Do you have these online? Care to post a link? I am fond of
Barcelona and I would enjoy seeing these photos.

Sorry, no I don't.

Folks, I'd suggest trimming any response to just the ZLR group.

Cheers,
David

Old June 17th 05, 11:01 PM
Gizmo

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...
Ryadia@home wrote:
[]

I recently had some
2-second shots with the FZ20 in Barcelona Cathedral with the camera firmly
wedged (poor man's tripod) and was very pleased with the results.

Shame the Cathedral was covered in scaffold and netting, as the outside
absolutely stunning.
It's about time they knuckled down and got to work on it .... they don't
seem to have made hardly any progress with it since I was there in May 2003
!

Old June 21st 05, 01:34 AM

I am well pleased with FZ20 low light shots and OIS is crisp and sharp
at F2.8 1/4 sec. Great camera.