Canons: The ultimate DIY horror stories

Old October 26th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Canons: The ultimate DIY horror stories

"Tweaked" focusing? 3rd one in a row? Then a sensor scratch?? Does
Canon ever ship anything that isn't to be debugged by the buyer??
Microsoft has a peer.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=25363849

Old October 26th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

RichA wrote:
"Tweaked" focusing? 3rd one in a row? Then a sensor scratch?? Does
Canon ever ship anything that isn't to be debugged by the buyer??
Microsoft has a peer.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=25363849

Rich, just curious, regarding #1 above do you grasp the concept that
there are anal people out there who will find problems with everything?

Regarding the sensor scratch do you grasp the concept that the user may
have scratched the sensor? Or if it was not the user that no
manufacturer is perfect?

You know, your life would probably be much better if you figured out
some of these basic facts of life. How old are you?

Greg
--
Obscurity in the desert: http://lodesertprotosites.org
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
Old October 26th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D.Quatsch

On 2007-10-25 22:00:06 -0700, RichA said:

"Tweaked" focusing? 3rd one in a row? Then a sensor scratch?? Does
Canon ever ship anything that isn't to be debugged by the buyer??
Microsoft has a peer.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=25363849

I was involved in pistol competition a few years ago, and was a big fan
of the American revolvers made by Smith & Wesson. They went through a
bleak period when they were owned by Lear-Siegler, whose philosophy
seemed to be "keep retail price low by shifting Quality Assurance to
the buyer."

Nothing to do with cameras, I know, but a not-uncommon practice in mass
production. Even BMW, whose marketing hype would have you believe their
products to be hand-burnished and assembled by Bavarian virgins, have
had the odd rough patch.
--
quatsch

Old October 26th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gary Seven

G.T. wrote:
: RichA wrote:
:: "Tweaked" focusing? 3rd one in a row? Then a sensor
snip

: You know, your life would probably be much better if you
: figured out some of these basic facts of life. How old are
: you?
:

Well, he's got all the earmarks of a frustrated 16-year old who spends way
too much time in front of a computer (I'll bet at least half that time is
spent chicken-chokeing to online porn). 'Nuff said.

Old October 26th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

On 2007-10-25 22:00:06 -0700, RichA said:

"Tweaked" focusing? 3rd one in a row? Then a sensor scratch?? Does
Canon ever ship anything that isn't to be debugged by the buyer??
Microsoft has a peer.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=25363849

I was involved in pistol competition a few years ago, and was a big fan
of the American revolvers made by Smith & Wesson. They went through a
bleak period when they were owned by Lear-Siegler, whose philosophy
seemed to be "keep retail price low by shifting Quality Assurance to
the buyer."

Nothing to do with cameras, I know, but a not-uncommon practice in mass
production. Even BMW, whose marketing hype would have you believe their
products to be hand-burnished and assembled by Bavarian virgins, have
had the odd rough patch.
--
quatsch

Almost looks like his liquid seeped inside, could be self inflicted.

Japanese companies have a philosophy of testing each and every product they
ship, not a random sample. This goes from lightbulbs to high end equipment.
This philosophy is based on the writings of an American whose name I have
forgotten. It doesn't mean one item could not be bad from day one, but the
chances are very very slim.

Jean

Old October 26th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RBrickston

In article ,
says...

Old October 26th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D.Quatsch

On 2007-10-25 22:00:06 -0700, RichA said:

[...]

might be Juran or Deming

It doesn't mean one item could not be bad from day one, but the
chances are very very slim.

Jean

--
Vanity is so secure in the heart of man that everyone wants to be
admired: even I who write this, and you who read this.

Old October 26th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...19&thread=2536...

Rich, just curious, regarding #1 above do you grasp the concept that
there are anal people out there who will find problems with everything?

Focus is focus, it's either in or not. Not picky to want it to work.

Regarding the sensor scratch do you grasp the concept that the user may
have scratched the sensor? Or if it was not the user that no
manufacturer is perfect?

Some are "less perfect" than others. Camera retailer the other day
told me he likes it when a Nikon or Olympus sells because he knows
there only is a very remote chance it will come back with a problem.
The amount of work needed = profit on the sale, ultimately.

Old October 26th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On 2007-10-25 22:00:06 -0700, RichA said:

"Tweaked" focusing? 3rd one in a row? Then a sensor scratch?? Does
Canon ever ship anything that isn't to be debugged by the buyer??
Microsoft has a peer.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...19&thread=2536...

I was involved in pistol competition a few years ago, and was a big fan
of the American revolvers made by Smith & Wesson. They went through a
bleak period when they were owned by Lear-Siegler, whose philosophy
seemed to be "keep retail price low by shifting Quality Assurance to
the buyer."

No kidding. Compare a S&W revolver made in 1972 with one made in the
late 1980s. They are like night and day when it comes to finish, fit
and function.

Old October 26th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bates[_2_]

On 2007-10-25 22:00:06 -0700, RichA said:

"Tweaked" focusing? 3rd one in a row? Then a sensor scratch?? Does
Canon ever ship anything that isn't to be debugged by the buyer??
Microsoft has a peer.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...19&thread=2536...

I was involved in pistol competition a few years ago, and was a big fan
of the American revolvers made by Smith & Wesson. They went through a
bleak period when they were owned by Lear-Siegler, whose philosophy
seemed to be "keep retail price low by shifting Quality Assurance to
the buyer."

No kidding. Compare a S&W revolver made in 1972 with one made in the
late 1980s. They are like night and day when it comes to finish, fit
and function.

Are the late 1980's S&W revolvers made of plastic?