Windows 10 support

Old May 13th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Windows 10 support

For those of you who read about my issues with a frozen Windows
update, I received a survey today about the quality of their support.
I can only say that it is reassuring that they would take the time and
effort to pretend that they care.
Old May 13th 17, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 5/12/17 PDT 6:02 PM, Bill W wrote:
For those of you who read about my issues with a frozen Windows
update, I received a survey today about the quality of their support.
I can only say that it is reassuring that they would take the time and
effort to pretend that they care.

Reassuring as to what??

It's not too late to move to a solid platform.

Old May 13th 17, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

On 5/12/17 PDT 6:02 PM, Bill W wrote:
For those of you who read about my issues with a frozen Windows
update, I received a survey today about the quality of their support.
I can only say that it is reassuring that they would take the time and
effort to pretend that they care.

Reassuring as to what??

It's not too late to move to a solid platform.

I have a Acer laptop on the side. I find the "evolution" W10
interesting... Most people will have no choice in PC platform rather
soo, me guess...
--
teleportation kills
Old May 15th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/13/2017 12:24 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
On 5/12/17 PDT 6:02 PM, Bill W wrote:
For those of you who read about my issues with a frozen Windows
update, I received a survey today about the quality of their support.
I can only say that it is reassuring that they would take the time and
effort to pretend that they care.

Reassuring as to what??

It's not too late to move to a solid platform.

Windows 10 is working solidly for me, as did 8 and 7.

Old May 15th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 15 May 2017 11:16:17 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/13/2017 12:24 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
On 5/12/17 PDT 6:02 PM, Bill W wrote:
For those of you who read about my issues with a frozen Windows
update, I received a survey today about the quality of their support.
I can only say that it is reassuring that they would take the time and
effort to pretend that they care.

Reassuring as to what??

It's not too late to move to a solid platform.

Windows 10 is working solidly for me, as did 8 and 7.

It's working fine for me, too, and usually does. My issue is how they
act when it doesn't. They break my computer trying to update it, and
then tell me I have to pay them to tell me how to fix it. Isn't that
pretty much the definition of ransomware, even if it wasn't planned
that way?
Old May 15th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Bill W wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2017 11:16:17 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/13/2017 12:24 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
On 5/12/17 PDT 6:02 PM, Bill W wrote:
For those of you who read about my issues with a frozen Windows
update, I received a survey today about the quality of their support.
I can only say that it is reassuring that they would take the time and
effort to pretend that they care.

Reassuring as to what??

It's not too late to move to a solid platform.

Windows 10 is working solidly for me, as did 8 and 7.

It's working fine for me, too, and usually does. My issue is how they
act when it doesn't. They break my computer trying to update it, and
then tell me I have to pay them to tell me how to fix it. Isn't that
pretty much the definition of ransomware, even if it wasn't planned
that way?

Consider it a Bill for fixing broken utilities... ;-ppp
--
teleportation kills
Old May 15th 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/15/2017 12:05 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2017 11:16:17 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/13/2017 12:24 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
On 5/12/17 PDT 6:02 PM, Bill W wrote:
For those of you who read about my issues with a frozen Windows
update, I received a survey today about the quality of their support.
I can only say that it is reassuring that they would take the time and
effort to pretend that they care.
Reassuring as to what??

It's not too late to move to a solid platform.

Windows 10 is working solidly for me, as did 8 and 7.

It's working fine for me, too, and usually does. My issue is how they
act when it doesn't. They break my computer trying to update it, and
then tell me I have to pay them to tell me how to fix it. Isn't that
pretty much the definition of ransomware, even if it wasn't planned
that way?

I've not had a Windows update cause a problem for me, whether it was
Windows 7, 8 or 10. I did have a wonky issue with one PC in the house
(my desktop) after upgrading my Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10. Some
programs, like my photo editors and CD/DVD burning app would take a long
time to open, some over five minutes. Canon Digital Photo Pro, in
particular, was bad. After it would finally open, I could convert a raw
image but when I tried to save it as a TIFF or any other format, the
program would seem to just lock-up. I was puling out what little hair
Mother Nature left me when I got the brilliant idea to check the event
viewer. I experimented with each of the troublesome programs. I found
when I launched each one, the programs were accessing my external DVD
drive over-and-over-over. That was causing the long start-up times.
Saving a file also caused the same access problem for the DVD drive. I
checked the drive and, lo and behold, I had left my MS Office DVD in
it. Once I took the disc out, no more issues. I could even put the
disc back in the drive and leave it there without a problem.

Old May 15th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 15 May 2017 12:37:13 -0400, PAS wrote:

[...]

I've had only one failure previous to this recent one, but what makes
that even worse is that when I called MS support, they took care of
the problem. Why not this time?

[...]

On a related note, my broken PC stopped booting to the USB drives with
the recovery tools. It would boot only if the recovery tools were on a
DVD. I still need to look into that issue. It didn't really matter
much at the time because I had already tried everything I needed the
disk for, and those things didn't work.

Old May 15th 17, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 15 May 2017 14:08:20 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

On a related note, my broken PC stopped booting to the USB drives with
the recovery tools. It would boot only if the recovery tools were on a
DVD. I still need to look into that issue. It didn't really matter
much at the time because I had already tried everything I needed the
disk for, and those things didn't work.

welcome to windows.

It feels like welcome to Windows 3.1. Back then, you expected this
nonsense. After all these years, digging around to find solutions has
lost its allure.