Color shift having prints done at Walgreens / Target

Old January 10th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Color shift having prints done at Walgreens / Target

Hello all,
Strange: I have some images I recorded in the D70 Adobe RGB ---- then got them
where I want them in PS CS2, Adobe RGB, and looking at them they look good.
Then I took them on the compact flash to Walgreens, and ..... they looked great
on the preview screen, you know on that card reader do-it-yourself machine
thing.
BUT when I got them back, they had an overwhelming green tint/cast to them. Of
course I wasn't charged for them...

And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine showed
them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.

Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.

The images are he http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Allison.jpg
and http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Lauren.jpg

Thanks so much for any ideas / solutions!!!

Tim

Old January 10th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Destin_FL wrote:
[...]

On my monitor, the backgrounds in both are green, as they should be. The skin colors
aren't at all green. Perhaps both stores are using the same kind of photo printer and/or
supplies.
Old January 10th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Unless you print your own with a color managed workflow there is no real way
to control, much less troubleshoot, these types of problems.
Many people who post to this newsgroup love their Walmart prints . . .

Old January 10th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love both Wal-Mart and Walgreens for prints! This
batch though was reallllllly green. I took 4 different files to print and they
all had the same weird green cast to them. And looked great in the preview
screen at the store, AND the preview screen on the big printer/press.

I'm wondering if these drugstore printers/services just can't resolve or make
work the Adobe RBG? I'm thinking if I took them back as sRGB they might be
right. ???

When I ended up just doing them on my Canon Pixma they are perfect.

m...

Old January 11th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Destin_FL wrote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love both Wal-Mart and Walgreens for prints! This
batch though was reallllllly green. I took 4 different files to print and they
all had the same weird green cast to them. And looked great in the preview
screen at the store, AND the preview screen on the big printer/press.

I'm wondering if these drugstore printers/services just can't resolve or make
work the Adobe RBG? I'm thinking if I took them back as sRGB they might be
right. ???

When I ended up just doing them on my Canon Pixma they are perfect.

That is a possibility.
Those printers expect images to be in sRGB color space.
Just for our own information, why dont you convert to sRGB, have them
printed again and report back? "Inquiring Minds Want To Know"
Bob Williams

Old January 10th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Destin_FL wrote:
[...]

On my monitor, Allison appears a bit too green.
Perhaps the surroundings were predominantly green and reflected light
which actually affected the color of the light reaching the subject.
Alternately your own monitor may not be calibrated correctly and adds a
slight magenta cast compensating for the real "too green" output.
Do all of your prints have a greenish cast?
I'd try pinking up the images a little with your photo editor.
Bob Williams

Old January 12th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob Williams wrote:

Destin_FL wrote:
[...]

on my profiled monitor,
both images look very good.

Lauren looks perfect.

try costco, or kodak

Old January 12th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yeah, see that's the thing, they look perfect here, AND they looked perfect both
on the load-your-compactflash-photos-machine-thing, and the actual print press.

Allison is VERY fair-skinned to start with. I even bumped her up a touch from
real life in CS2...
I'm convinced this might be an Adobe RGB vs. sRGB thing - because remember at
Target it was a KODAK machine and it crapped out the pictures towards green too.

Tim

_____________

on my profiled monitor,
both images look very good.

Lauren looks perfect.

try costco, or kodak

Old January 10th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Destin_FL wrote:
[snip]
Then I took them on the compact flash to Walgreens, and ..... they looked great
on the preview screen, you know on that card reader do-it-yourself machine
thing.
BUT when I got them back, they had an overwhelming green tint/cast to them. Of
course I wasn't charged for them...

And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine showed
them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.

[snip]

Thanks so much for any ideas / solutions!!!

Tim

I have not used Walgreens nor Target, but I have used CVS for my 4x6
prints. I have to *tell* the machine that I do not want any color
correction nor enhancements for each print I upload. On CVS's Kodak
machine there is an enhancement button for each pic which displays
another screen allowing me to remove color correction. It's painfull
to do for each pic, but I do get fairly quick at it.

Len