135mm F3.5 Planar is rare?

Old September 21st 04, 04:14 PM
Bob Salomon

In article , "jjs"
wrote:

"JPMOSE" wrote in message
lkaboutphotography.com...
John...you bring up an interest point. I have a late 67mm filter version
(around 1970) and I noticed that I couldn't screw a lens shade into it
because the threads wouldn't reach deep enough. Yet, another brand did!

It appears that both styles of Planars (58mm and 67mm filter size) have
this in common.

It is so good to know that it's not just me.

By the way, I think the improvements gained from the later version are
ever so slight. My friend has the 58mm filter version and wanted to
compare it to mine. We ran some tests (nothing too elaborate but did use
a tripod, cable release, bean bag to absorb any vibration) at three
f/stops. We examined closely with an 8x lupe and couldn't detect any
difference. I have been told by Zeiss that the larger version improves
edge performance at wide apertures.

I use the lens on the Technika. Can you comment upon the allegation that
lenses for the Linhof (Technika) are possibly superior because of further
testing by Linhof before acceptance? I don't know how Linhof could test
every lens. Perhaps they do second-batch sampling. Dunno.

Yes Linhof does test each lens individually and rejects those that do
not meet its' standards. The tests are done on a large Rodenstock
Siemens Star projector as well as visual tests on each lens for dust.
marks, etc. that can not be cleaned and a test for shutter performance.

Lenses that do not pass are returned to the lens manufacturer. Lenses
that do are then silk screened with the Linhof name on the front or rear
of the lens. Some lenses are specially picked for their performance over
specific formats so a lens that will be used on a Technorama 617 may be
superior over the 617 area but not as good a performer outside that area
and would not be chosen for use on a view camera.

In the deep dark past, when the Planar was current, the test was
somewhat different as today's testing technology was not available then.
However the result was similar. only the very top performing lenses
passed the Linhof lens test.

The Linhof lensshade for the 67mm diameter Planar was 021905 and for the
58mm 021909. These should screw correctly into their respective lenses.

These hoods were, and still are, made by Heliopan. We do have one of the
older 58mm hoods still in stock but these hoods are identical to the
current Heliopan versions so there is no known reason why a 67mm
Heliopan hood would not screw into your lens.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old September 21st 04, 05:02 PM
jjs

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message
In article , "jjs"
wrote:

I use the lens on the Technika. Can you comment upon the allegation that
lenses for the Linhof (Technika) are possibly superior because of further
testing by Linhof before acceptance? I don't know how Linhof could test
every lens. Perhaps they do second-batch sampling. Dunno.

Yes Linhof does test each lens individually and rejects those that do
not meet its' standards. The tests are done on a large Rodenstock
Siemens Star projector as well as visual tests on each lens for dust.
marks, etc. that can not be cleaned and a test for shutter performance.

[...]

Amazing and wonderful!

Old September 22nd 04, 12:23 PM
JPMOSE

To Bob Solomon:

Thanks for reminding me about the Heliopan screw-in shades. You gave me
that advice 2-3 years ago and I purchased a 77mm for the 250mm Sonnar and
a 95mm for the 75mm Biogon. I will purchase a 67mm as well. Thanks
again!

J. P. Mose