Digital Photography Editing Software

Old June 20th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeffrey McGrath

Default Digital Photography Editing Software

I am looking for software to edit my photo's with, however it must
meet 2 criteria.

1. Must save Meta Data.
Example: Take a picture with your digital camera and copy the file to
your computer. (Assuming you use Windows XP...) Right click on your
image and select "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab at the
top. Now, click on the "Advanced" button. This will now show you
details about that photograph, such as Focal Length, F-Number,
Exposure Time, ISO Speed, Metering mode, Camera Model and Maker,
Dimensions, Resolution, Exposure Compensation, and most important to
me... "Date Picture Taken" (Not Created, Modified or Accessed).

2. I want to be able to remove red-eye.

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

Old June 20th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"Jeffrey McGrath" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking for software to edit my photo's with, however it must
meet 2 criteria.

1. Must save Meta Data.
Example: Take a picture with your digital camera and copy the file to
your computer. (Assuming you use Windows XP...) Right click on your
image and select "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab at the
top. Now, click on the "Advanced" button. This will now show you
details about that photograph, such as Focal Length, F-Number,
Exposure Time, ISO Speed, Metering mode, Camera Model and Maker,
Dimensions, Resolution, Exposure Compensation, and most important to
me... "Date Picture Taken" (Not Created, Modified or Accessed).

2. I want to be able to remove red-eye.

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

Do you have M$ office? I think the basics in M$ picture manager will do
that.
Very simple.. not very creative.

Old June 20th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Jun 19, 9:40 pm, Jeffrey McGrath wrote:
I am looking for software to edit my photo's with, however it must
meet 2 criteria.

1. Must save Meta Data.
Example: Take a picture with your digital camera and copy the file to
your computer. (Assuming you use Windows XP...) Right click on your
image and select "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab at the
top. Now, click on the "Advanced" button. This will now show you
details about that photograph, such as Focal Length, F-Number,
Exposure Time, ISO Speed, Metering mode, Camera Model and Maker,
Dimensions, Resolution, Exposure Compensation, and most important to
me... "Date Picture Taken" (Not Created, Modified or Accessed).

2. I want to be able to remove red-eye.

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

Photoshop Elements will do both of these.

Scott

Old June 20th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Jeffrey McGrath wrote:
I am looking for software to edit my photo's with, however it must
meet 2 criteria.

1. Must save Meta Data.
Example: Take a picture with your digital camera and copy the file to
your computer. (Assuming you use Windows XP...) Right click on your
image and select "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab at the
top. Now, click on the "Advanced" button. This will now show you
details about that photograph, such as Focal Length, F-Number,
Exposure Time, ISO Speed, Metering mode, Camera Model and Maker,
Dimensions, Resolution, Exposure Compensation, and most important to
me... "Date Picture Taken" (Not Created, Modified or Accessed).

2. I want to be able to remove red-eye.

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

IrfanView and Picasa are two excellent FREE programs that will do this.
In fact, pretty much any photo-editing software you get today will do
both.

The metadata you refer to, known as EXIF, is embedded in JPEGs, and with
most software, should remain there as long as you save the edited file
as JPEG as well. If you really want to be safe, of course, you can
always keep a backup of the original file, and edit a copy.

BTW, there are also utilities that can rename your files using various
EXIF information, such as the "Date Picture Taken". IrfanView will do
this in batch-processing mode.
Old June 20th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Victek

"Jeffrey McGrath" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking for software to edit my photo's with, however it must
meet 2 criteria.

1. Must save Meta Data.
Example: Take a picture with your digital camera and copy the file to
your computer. (Assuming you use Windows XP...) Right click on your
image and select "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab at the
top. Now, click on the "Advanced" button. This will now show you
details about that photograph, such as Focal Length, F-Number,
Exposure Time, ISO Speed, Metering mode, Camera Model and Maker,
Dimensions, Resolution, Exposure Compensation, and most important to
me... "Date Picture Taken" (Not Created, Modified or Accessed).

2. I want to be able to remove red-eye.

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

I like FastStone Image Viewer (freeware). It preserves EXIF data, removes
red-eye, and has many other features.

www.faststone.org

Old June 20th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Stumbles

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:40:17 -0700, Jeffrey McGrath wrote:

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

I do it in the gimp though I do the red-eye reduction manually (i.e. I
elect the red-eye areas and turn down the red in them).

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?
Old June 20th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeffrey

Awesome.

Thanks!

Old June 20th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jun 20, 12:40 am, Jeffrey McGrath wrote:
I am looking for software to edit my photo's with, however it must
meet 2 criteria.

1. Must save Meta Data.
Example: Take a picture with your digital camera and copy the file to
your computer. (Assuming you use Windows XP...) Right click on your
image and select "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab at the
top. Now, click on the "Advanced" button. This will now show you
details about that photograph, such as Focal Length, F-Number,
Exposure Time, ISO Speed, Metering mode, Camera Model and Maker,
Dimensions, Resolution, Exposure Compensation, and most important to
me... "Date Picture Taken" (Not Created, Modified or Accessed).

2. I want to be able to remove red-eye.

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

Yes, I use Irfanview. The software also meets the 3rd criteria..
(It's free).. Goto www.irfanview.com

Old June 21st 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

John Stumbles wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:40:17 -0700, Jeffrey McGrath wrote:

Does anyone know of good software that they have used that can do this?

I do it in the gimp though I do the red-eye reduction manually (i.e. I
elect the red-eye areas and turn down the red in them).

There are red-eye reduction plug-ins available for the Gimp.
They seem to work fine.
Old June 21st 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Stumbles

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:20:39 +1200, frederick wrote:

There are red-eye reduction plug-ins available for the Gimp.
They seem to work fine.

Any one you'd particularly recommend?

--
John Stumbles

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous