Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Old May 18th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Has anyone here dealt with this?
-I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
be 30 pounds.
It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
Is there a way around this with them?

Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would never
see it again.

United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not on
United (obviously).

Any experience out there?

Thanks for any info...

Bill? Roger? Anyone?

-MarkČ

Old May 18th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ wrote
(in article 71Uag.1392$rS6.147@fed1read11):

Has anyone here dealt with this?

Good question. I'm doing the same thing shortly, with different
endpoint destinations.

-I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
be 30 pounds.
It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

Do they actual weigh the carry on stuff?

Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
Is there a way around this with them?

Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would never
see it again.

Bingo.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old May 18th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
. net...
| MarkČ wrote
| (in article 71Uag.1392$rS6.147@fed1read11):
|
| Has anyone here dealt with this?
|
| Good question. I'm doing the same thing shortly, with different
| endpoint destinations.
|
| -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
says
| your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
| allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going
| be 30 pounds.
| It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
|
| Do they actual weigh the carry on stuff?

Some airlines do, some don't. British Air did 2 years ago. Most
American carriers don't.

Norm

Old May 18th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Norm Dresner wrote
(in article
):

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
. net...
MarkČ wrote
(in article 71Uag.1392$rS6.147@fed1read11):

Has anyone here dealt with this?

Good question. I'm doing the same thing shortly, with different
endpoint destinations.

-I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa

says
your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going

be 30 pounds.
It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

Do they actual weigh the carry on stuff?

Some airlines do, some don't. British Air did 2 years ago. Most
American carriers don't.

I thought this discussion was about Lufthansa.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old May 21st 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ wrote:

Has anyone here dealt with this?
-I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
be 30 pounds.
It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

I've never had a carry on weighed, and that includes Lufthansa.
Although the last time was about 5 years ago. (I usually use KLM for
Europe). The reasons they state a limit (with teutonic efficiency) is
that the overhead bins have a load limit of so many kg. (This is
labeled inside the bin somewhere).

Usually carry-ons are two personal articles such as a carryon and a
briefcase or purse.

Recently carryons have been getting huge and people refuse to even
gate-check them resulting in hugely overcrowded baggage bins and forcing
me (recently on UniTED) to put my briefcase under the seat. I'm too
tall for that kind of ****.

Occasionally there will be a boomhilda who tells passengers to gate
check, but it is increasingly rare. I personally think gate-checking is
a great idea and I do it when the aircraft is over 80% full. This does
not happen on larger body aircraft, however, or if it does then the bags
have to be picked up at the baggage claim instead of planeside.
(Variations on a theme according to aircraft, airline and airport).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 22nd 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
MarkČ wrote:

[...]

Future aircraft will have passenger access to the baggage compartment and
there will only be carry-on luggage.......:^)