Replacement for Kodachrome?

Old December 14th 04, 03:35 PM
Jeremy

Default Replacement for Kodachrome?

Are there any test results available on which slide film has the highest
resolution? I'd like to know what is closest to the old Kodachrome 25, in
terms of color saturation and resolution. I especially liked the way
Kodachrome 25 handled greens, as I do a fair amount of landscapes.

Thanks.

Old December 14th 04, 04:18 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Jeremy"

Are there any test results available on which slide film has the highest
resolution? I'd like to know what is closest to the old Kodachrome 25, in
terms of color saturation and resolution.

http://creekin.net/films.htm ... several of the slow speed Fuji films (asa
50-100) introduced in the last 14 years, beginning with Velvia in 1990, have
higher resolving power and finer grain that K-25, which is one of the primary
reasons it was dropped, no one bought it any more.

As far as color saturation, both Kodak and Fuji offer different slide emulsions
with different amounts of saturation ... Kodak used to have E-100 S, SW and VS
for 'saturated', 'saturated warm' and 'very saturated' (one or two --SW and
maybe S -- of these have been replaced but I haven't tested the new ones).
With Fuji, Astia 100F is the low saturation portrait film, Provia 100F is the
moderate saturated film which I find good for wildlife and Velvia is the highly
saturated film most commonly used for landscapes.

I especially liked the way Kodachrome 25 handled greens, as I do a fair
amount of landscapes.

Velvia is by far the most popular film for landscape photographers ... pick up
a copy of Nature's Best annual contest issue or the BBC Wildlife Photographer
of the Year portfolios and you'll see that 60-80% of the winning nature images
were shot with Velvia.

A short list of well-known landscape photographers who are on record as
preferring Velvia includes most of the big names, like Jack Dykinga, David
Muench, Tom Till, Robert Glenn Ketchum, Carr Clifton, Galen Rowell, Jim
Brandenburg, Frans Lanting etc etc.

Best thing you can do is try a roll of each of the slow speed emulsions under
similar test conditions and compare on a lightbox since color palette
preference is a personal matter though.

Bill

Old December 14th 04, 04:18 PM
Bill Hilton

Old December 14th 04, 04:45 PM

Velvia is no replacement fo Kodachrome, and Velvia is ****.

Old December 14th 04, 04:45 PM

Velvia is no replacement fo Kodachrome, and Velvia is ****.

Old December 14th 04, 04:45 PM

Velvia is no replacement for Kodachrome, and Velvia is ****.

Old December 14th 04, 04:45 PM

Velvia is no replacement for Kodachrome, and Velvia is ****.

Old December 14th 04, 07:39 PM
Michael A. Covington

"New" Elite Chrome 100 and E100G are very high... I'm not sure they are the
highest, but they are finer-grained than Kodachrome 25, as best I recall.
You can check data sheets on www.kodak.com and www.fujifilm.com (or
www.fujifilm.co.jp).

In fact I can't resist doing so...

Kodachrome 25:
RMS granularity 9
MTF 10% at 80 cycles/mm (color not given)

Kodak Ektachrome Professional E100G:
RMS granularity 8
MTF 10% at 80 cycles/mm red, worse in green and blue

Fuji Velvia 50:
RMS granularity 9
MTF 10% at about 100 cycles/mm (extrapolating from incomplete curve),
color not given

I'll leave it to others to advise you about color rendition!

Old December 14th 04, 08:18 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article . net,
Jeremy wrote:

I'd like to know what is closest to the old Kodachrome 25, in
terms of color saturation and resolution. I especially liked the way
Kodachrome 25 handled greens, as I do a fair amount of landscapes.

As far as resolution, there's nothing even close. For color rendition
(especially greens) the lower speed Fujichromes are nice. Personally, i
find Velvia has too high a contrast; but then I feel that way about
most current emulsions.