preflashing tools?

Old December 9th 04, 04:24 AM
angryfilmguy

Default preflashing tools?

I've heard that you can use a piece of diffused plastic for pre-flash under
the enlarging lens...

problem is i have no idea what kind of household item to try, ive thought
about
using plastic coke bottles or something of that sort, any recommendations?

Old December 9th 04, 04:31 AM

Why are you doing this? You're fogging your paper?

Old December 9th 04, 04:49 AM
angryfilmguy

to boost the base / foot of the tonal curve curve.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why are you doing this? You're fogging your paper?

Old December 9th 04, 05:27 AM
Tom Phillips

angryfilmguy wrote:

I've heard that you can use a piece of diffused plastic for pre-flash under
the enlarging lens...

problem is i have no idea what kind of household item to try, ive thought
about
using plastic coke bottles or something of that sort, any recommendations?

Styrofoam coffee cups over the lens. You can vary the
amount of diffuseness and dimness by stacking the cups.
Old December 9th 04, 05:31 AM
Jim Phelps

"angryfilmguy" wrote in message
I've heard that you can use a piece of diffused plastic for pre-flash
under the enlarging lens...

problem is i have no idea what kind of household item to try, ive thought
about
using plastic coke bottles or something of that sort, any recommendations?

You want to use a piece of plastic that is milky white and translucent.
Some plastic milk cartons have this characteristic. If you have a piece of
Plexiglas (or similar) you can make it into a diffuser by sanding it in a
circular pattern until it's fully and evenly scratched and you cannot see
through it any longer. You can also use tracing paper. It might be better
in some ways as you'll use a lot of light going through it.

Ignore radioactive isotopes. He has a propensity of providing really one
sided recommendations - his side only!

Old December 9th 04, 05:42 AM
Michael A. Covington

What you want is white plastic from a milk jug, I think.

Old December 9th 04, 05:42 AM
Michael A. Covington

What you want is white plastic from a milk jug, I think.

Old December 9th 04, 12:08 PM
Louie Powell

"angryfilmguy" wrote in
:

I've heard that you can use a piece of diffused plastic for pre-flash
under the enlarging lens...

problem is i have no idea what kind of household item to try, ive
thought about
using plastic coke bottles or something of that sort, any
recommendations?

I use a sheet of semi-translucent paper that I have glued to a sheet of
cardboard with a large cut-out in the center.

BTW, I don't know if this is necessary, but it seem to me that it is a good
idea to keep the diffuser moving in order to avoid projecting the image of
whatever grain there is in the diffuser onto the print.
Old December 9th 04, 04:52 PM

What paper are you using?

Old December 9th 04, 04:52 PM

What paper are you using?