[Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit

Old June 17th 04, 06:10 AM
Ken Nadvornick

Default [Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit

"Alan Browne" wrote:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Nikkor AIS; 24mm; f/2.8; storytelling; good for use at hyperfocal
setting, I sometimes hang from my neck with a hidden cable release for
candids, a tiny glass chip in direct center of rear element shows no
apparent effect on image quality, usually the first lens I select for SI
photo attempts

Nikkor AIS; 50mm, f/1.8, detail; purchased used from KEH, excellent
sharpness with sufficient light, this is my standard normal lens, wonderful
for use directly under basket of basketball games as follow-focusing is very
easy to accomplish with this lens

Nikon AIS; 50mm, f/1.8; Nikon EM; single coated optics I've heard, I use
the deep HS-3 hood originally for the 55/1.2 below for no significant flare
problems

Nikkor pre-AI; 55mm, f/1.2; low-light; softer, but indispensable in
low/no light, purchased as the first lens with my original F2 for night time
back area documentation of the time I worked at Disneyland while in college,
lots of good Tri-X memories resulted but the hit to my pocketbook at the
time for this combination was nuclear, fortunately I wasn't married at that
time

Nikkor pre-AI; 105mm, f/2.5; people; what a classic! have used this
lens for everything imaginable as evidenced by the fact that the aperture
ring detents have faded to almost nothing and the stop-down tab is
significantly notched

Nikkor AIS ED; 180mm, f/2.8; DOF isolation; brand new, still on learning
curve, sometimes wish this had a tripod mounting collar but then realize I
like the weight and feel too much to agree with myself on this, used with a
simple ground glass only focusing screen I love the way the image snaps
smartly into focus

Nikkor pre-AI ; 300mm, f/4.5; sports; tripod usually a must, downside is
it's only an average performer, upside is it's not an f/2.8 so I can always
have it with me in my camera bag (not that I'd throw a 2.8 in the trash if
one showed up unannounced...)

My only non-prime is a Nikkor AIS 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom purchased
originally to document my son's activities on Boy Scout outings where there
is little opportunity to carry and change multiple lenses. I was lucky in
that my particular sample is very, very sharp. The lens gods were smiling
that day.

All of the above are beautiful, incredibly well-built, old-style, manual
focus lenses used with a pair of pre-AI Nikon F2s and one Nikon EM. I am
thrilled that Nikon continues to manufacture these lenses to this day, as I
continue to expand my collection. I have never sold a camera or lens after
buying it. Each lens was purchased for a valid and specific reason and I
consider my lens purchases to be lifetime acquisitions.

Ken

Old June 17th 04, 09:27 AM
Chris Brown

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Digital (10D):

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Canon 15mm f/2.8 landscapes fisheye lens

Canon 50mm f/1.4 portraits & Lovely wide-open
general short
telephoto

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro and Nice sharp macro lens
portraits

Canon 420mm* f/5.6* extreme Actually a 300mm f/4 IS L
telephoto, with a 1.4x TC.
birds,
insects, etc.

35mm film:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Cosina 35mm f/2.5 general use Perfectly decent lens
(Voigtlander)

Leica 90mm f/4.0 portraits Lovely condition for a
lens that's 50 years old,
and still takes wonderful
images.
Old June 17th 04, 12:58 PM
Collin Brendemuehl

Alan Browne wrote in message ...
Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. Series FL Aperture Use Comments
1. Pentax M 28 3.5 general use
2. Pentax K 30 2.8 general use
3. Pentax F 50 1.7 general use
4. Pentax A 100 2.8 portrait
5. Rikoh XR 50 1.2 b&w

Comments.
#1 is a cheap but good lens.
#2 is very, very good but getting too pricey.
#3 is a reat performer @ a modest price
#4 is an unknown gem. Good individual portrait length, esp @ f4-f5.6.
#5 will surprise you. And, as my son says, great for burning ants.

Also ...
http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-d...msg187490.html

Collin

Cheers,
Alan

Old June 17th 04, 06:15 PM
Alan Browne

#1 is a cheap but good lens.
#2 is very, very good but getting too pricey.

....if you already own it, that shouldn't be an issue?

#3 is a reat performer @ a modest price
#4 is an unknown gem. Good individual portrait length, esp @ f4-f5.6.
#5 will surprise you. And, as my son says, great for burning ants.

Old June 18th 04, 12:48 AM
Collin Brendemuehl

#1 is a cheap but good lens.
#2 is very, very good but getting too pricey.

...if you already own it, that shouldn't be an issue?

Almost. I just got one at the bargain price of $200.
My #2 son got one 3 years ago, just before the collectors
started snatching them up. A local shop got one in, and
it's in excellent condition, with case. The old McKeons (sp)
had it listed for $100 and the store let him have it for $50.
He is now a happy K30/2.8 owner who knows that if he's ever
near-destitute, this is a possible cure.

I'm going to part with the M28/3.5 to fund my 8x10 build-up.
Anyone interested? $35 + shpg.

Collin
Old June 18th 04, 08:02 AM
Chris Loffredo

Alan Browne wrote:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites" looked at
it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it from the overall
use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular prime
for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Cheers,
Alan

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments Address Hiding Place of Key

Old June 18th 04, 02:15 PM
Ross Peebles

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Nikon AIS 24mm 2 .8 Landscapes and interiors
Tokina 28mm 2.8 Landscapes, General Purpose
Photography, Close focusing work where I need to get a large subject in
the picture.
Nikon AIS 50mm 1.8 General Purpose Photography
Nikon AIS 55mm Micro 2.8 Close Ups, Flowers, Copy Stand Work
Nikon AI 105mm Micro 4.0 Flower Photography, Portraits

Ross -

Old June 18th 04, 03:25 PM
Alan Browne

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments Address Hiding Place of Key

Paranoid, are we?

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 18th 04, 06:07 PM
Dallas

Alan Browne said:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites" looked at
it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it from the overall
use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular prime for?
Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Cheers,
Alan

Well, if we must...

Canon - EF 20mm f/2.8 USM - used on DSLR to try and go wide - very nice lens.

Canon - EF 85mm f/1.8 USM - seldom used - it's definitely sharp and I
recently had some nice results under the floodlights at the Super 12
rugby.

Canon - FD 28mm f/2.8 - seldom - You can't let lenses that get sold in
mint condition for less than $15 go begging!

Canon - FD 50mm f/1.8 - I use this all the time on both my A1 and F1. I
have two of them.

Vivitar - FD 200mm f/3.5 - Haven't used yet, but the lens was another $10
bargain. It looks in mint condition.

Nikkor - 24mm f/2.8 pre-AI - Stunning!

Nikkor - 35mm f/2 pre-AI - used as my main len on the F2. Have yet to see
results as it has only just been cleaned up. I believe it is awesome.

Nikkor - 105mm f/2.5 pre-AI & AIS - I think it is one of the finest lenses
I have used. Similar to the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 EDIF.

--
R.I.P. Ray Charles
I've got Georgia on my mind

Old June 19th 04, 02:20 AM
Ted Azito

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular prime for?
Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Nikkor 35 1.4 most used for Nikon

Nikkor 50 1.2

Nikkor 135 2.8

Nikkor 200 5.6 Use Your Imagination! Medical
Nikkor

Leitz M 50 2.0 Excellentso is Nikkor)
Summicron

Leitz M 28 2.8 ditto
Elmarit

These aren't all I have, just those for 35mm that I use to any
extent. Overwhelmingly I use the 50 Summicron since I use M Leicas
much more than Nikons, but it's not for optical improvement but size
and weight and noise. I use TLR Yashicas and a Rolleicord quite a bit
as well. I don't own any Voightlander lenses, but that's because I use
the 50mm almost all the time.

On the SLRs I use the 35mm as a standard lens.