When does XTOL _really_ go bad

Old November 4th 04, 11:06 PM
Phil Glaser

Default When does XTOL _really_ go bad

Hi,

According to Kodak's instructions, an opened bottle of full-strength
XTOL lasts two months. I have a bottle that was opened two months and
one week ago. I have no doubt that two months is conservative and that
I can still use this bottle. But I'm wondering if there is some way to
know when it's no good any more, or if other folks have had
experiences with XTOL's longevity to suggest some guidlines (I'd hate
to have to toss this down the toilet!).

Thanks!

--Phil
Old November 5th 04, 01:13 AM
Michael A. Covington

You can test it with a piece of enlarging paper.
See: www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol

om...

Old November 5th 04, 09:42 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Phil Glaser" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

According to Kodak's instructions, an opened bottle of
full-strength
XTOL lasts two months. I have a bottle that was opened two
months and
one week ago. I have no doubt that two months is
conservative and that
I can still use this bottle. But I'm wondering if there is
some way to
know when it's no good any more, or if other folks have
had
experiences with XTOL's longevity to suggest some
guidlines (I'd hate
to have to toss this down the toilet!).

Thanks!

--Phil

Do you mean a partially filled bottle or one that's had
the cap off for two months. Assuming you mean the former
Kodak's life numbers are very conservative. The only way to
really tell is to develop some film and see if the density
and contrast are as expected.
A test with a fogged scrap of film will tell if the
developer works at all but not if its developing as
expected.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old November 5th 04, 11:35 AM
Claudio Bonavolta

(Phil Glaser) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

According to Kodak's instructions, an opened bottle of full-strength
XTOL lasts two months. I have a bottle that was opened two months and
one week ago. I have no doubt that two months is conservative and that
I can still use this bottle. But I'm wondering if there is some way to
know when it's no good any more, or if other folks have had
experiences with XTOL's longevity to suggest some guidlines (I'd hate
to have to toss this down the toilet!).

Thanks!

--Phil

I've developped a couple of weeks ago some films with XTol prepared
the 30th March of 2002. This means more than 2 years and a half
lifespan.
I still keep some of this batch to see if it can reach the 3 years, I
won't be able to test much further than this, I have only a few left.

I posted pretty recently on this NG (thread on ID-11 replacements) how
I prepare and store it, nothing special by the way, just common sense:

- demineralized water
- part A *must* be fully diluted before adding part B, ambient
temperature water is used.
- stir without inserting air in the mixture
- brown glass bottles (pharmacy kind) fully filled (4x 1-liter + the
rest in 100ml)
- once the 100ml bottles are all empty, I fill them again with one
1-liter bottle
- 100ml is the minimum quantity for a 135-36 roll
- the 100ml bottles contain slightly more, as I use it 1+1, I just add
some more water to fill completely the bottle, then I complete up to
200ml for processing.
- bottles stored in the dark

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old November 5th 04, 05:04 PM
Mike King

In my limited experience with Xtol it's a bit "sneakier" than most
developers when it goes bad. It doesn't change color or get an off odor,
makes it tricky. If I were still running a big sink line I'd just monitor
developer activity with BW control strips, but not feasible with the volume
I am now running so I just use a different developer and one-shot it.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 6th 04, 03:44 AM
HypoBob

Phil,

This may not be a true test, but shouldn't it give some clue to use the suspect Xtol to develop
a test strip printed on photo paper without an incorporated developer???

Also, a few years ago someone on this group suggested using the mylar bladder in a boxed wine to
store developer. I mix a 5 liter pack of Xtol in only 3 liters of water and store this
"concentrate" in a 3 liter wine bag. Not long ago I found that the mylar bags can be obtained
from vendors of wine making supplies.

Bob