Battery Acid? Sulfuric.

Old November 3rd 04, 11:13 PM

Standard concentration for car battery acid is 32% H2SO4. When mixing
this for preparing a 10% or 1% solution, keep in mind that the density
of a solution of 32% is considerably larger than 1.0 gram/ml. Lookup a
table for the density at this concentration.

When the acid is diluted, I would not bother about lead impurities.
Lead sulfate is HIGHLY insoluble in water, and in dilute acid. Only in
concentrated H2SO4, lead sulfate is soluble to some extent.

When you use sulphuric acid, be careful with it. When sulphuric acid is
spilled, it does not evaporate (as opposed to nitric acid and
hydrochloric acid). Even low concentration acids can be risky when
spilled and left unnoticed. Most of the water evaporates out of the
acid and a certain equilibrium concentration of several tens of
percents is obtained in the long run. It eats virtually everything,
when sufficiently concentrated. Car battery acid is of sufficient
concentration to worry about this risk.

I sometimes use technical grade sulphuric acid and it works fine for
photography purposes. The use of reagent grade (expensive) acid is not
necessary.

Wilco

Old November 4th 04, 03:00 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that!!
--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 4th 04, 11:02 AM
Richard Knoppow

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I believe that reagent grade chemicals may not actually
be any purer than technical or photo grade but comes with an
assay showing the impurities and their amounts. High purity
chemicals are available but are very expensive. For
photography technical grade chemicals are perfectly
satisfactory for more purposes.
I should have pointed out in my post as you did that the
more diluted battery acid can be used in most formulas by
simply increasing the amount. Unless it has certain metallic
impurities which are specifically injurious to photo
processes it should work fine. Lead should make no
difference since lead lined containers were standard
practice for many years for photo processing. Aluminium,
copper, brass, iron, should be avoided. Copper in very small
amounts is a prodigeous fogging agent.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old November 4th 04, 11:34 AM
Gregory W Blank

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

I believe that reagent grade chemicals may not actually
be any purer than technical or photo grade but comes with an
assay showing the impurities and their amounts. High purity
chemicals are available but are very expensive. For
photography technical grade chemicals are perfectly
satisfactory for more purposes.
I should have pointed out in my post as you did that the
more diluted battery acid can be used in most formulas by
simply increasing the amount. Unless it has certain metallic
impurities which are specifically injurious to photo
processes it should work fine. Lead should make no
difference since lead lined containers were standard
practice for many years for photo processing. Aluminium,
copper, brass, iron, should be avoided. Copper in very small
amounts is a prodigeous fogging agent.

Interesting, I know the acid did not come from old batteries,...
the guy who sold it to me had a large cubey-tainer from
which he was filing smaller charging bottles the larger cubey-tainer
was factory packaged acid and he told my bottles came from it.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 4th 04, 01:23 PM
Donald Qualls

Gregory W Blank wrote:

In article ,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

That's the way battery acid is normally distributed; acid recovered from
recycled batteries is disposed of as hazarous waste. It's not the lead;
that's relatively easy to precipitate any remaining lead that might be
in solution (neutralize with baking soda or chalk, and the lead sulfate
will precipitate). It's cadmium, which stays in solution better than
lead (cadmium sulfate is about as soluble as silver sulfate, and will
remain dissolved at hazarous levels in a neutral solution), and is added
to the plates in modern batteries to extend their life.

Last time I had battery acid around, it came to me in a small rubbery
pouch (I think it was some kind of silicone elastomer, in fact) that was
to be used in filling the (dry charged) battery immediately before
installation or in the store for rack charging prior to sale. Battery
acid obtained in containers, rather than manually drained from a battery
by the end user, should be plain technical grade acid diluted with
filtered water to working strength (the water is filtered in a manner
that specifically removes chlorides, most likely reverse osmosis;
chloride ion poisons the reaction that makes a lead-acid battery work).

Basic precaution in handling battery acid is to neutralize the working
area with baking soda after work is completed -- specifically to prevent
evaporative concentration warned of in another thread. Also worthy of
note, a tiny drop of battery acid will eat a hole in any cotton cloth
that won't show up until the article is laundered and the damaged area
crumbles or dissolves in the wash water. It's similarly hazardous to
eyes; wear goggles (or, better, a full face shield) as well as the heavy
neoprene or nitrile gloves, and preferably a neoprene coated apron as
well. Have an eye wash available (a shower works very well for this),
and keep a box of baking soda handy.

--
The challenge to the photographer is to command the medium, to use
whatever current equipment and technology furthers his creative

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old November 5th 04, 04:56 PM

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

You need to check if it is 35%, or if it is diluted down for filling
as is. 35% is diluted before it is used in the batteries, but nowdays
they may well be shipping the more dilute read to use conc so as to
not confuse the burger flippers.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old November 5th 04, 04:56 PM

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

You need to check if it is 35%, or if it is diluted down for filling
as is. 35% is diluted before it is used in the batteries, but nowdays
they may well be shipping the more dilute read to use conc so as to
not confuse the burger flippers.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
West Australia 6076

NAACO Zip Fix LR Kalajainen In The Darkroom 17 October 26th 04 11:06 PM
emergency : trusty CD200 power and battery problem J. Cod Digital Photography 5 September 20th 04 05:53 AM
RPD Question on Nikon 5700 Battery Usage Hunt Digital Photography 13 September 15th 04 03:37 AM
brown glycin geo In The Darkroom 17 August 23rd 04 12:47 AM
D70 Battery Life per Charge Don F Digital Photography 24 July 22nd 04 11:58 AM