Finding visually similar images

Old March 10th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Finding visually similar images

Suppose that you have a database with thousands of images. Is there a
tool for finding visually couples or sets of similar images out of a
large number of images? If yes, how does it work?
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 11th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Alfred Molon wrote:
Suppose that you have a database with thousands of images. Is there a
tool for finding visually couples or sets of similar images out of a
large number of images? If yes, how does it work?

The 'uc berkeley e-lib' was experimenting with such a thing a couple
years ago... maybe you can google something up...

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old March 11th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jimbok[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:57:39 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Suppose that you have a database with thousands of images. Is there a
tool for finding visually couples or sets of similar images out of a
large number of images? If yes, how does it work?

You might want to try VisiPics freeware. It compares the actual
contents of image files, not just the name or date. The comparison
"strictness" can be set by the user and it can even find similar pics
of different sizes. It will also compare RAW file contents.

http://www.visipics.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

--
jimbok
Old March 11th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ricky H

"Savageduck" wrote in message

Suppose that you have a database with thousands of images. Is there a
tool for finding visually couples or sets of similar images out of a
large number of images? If yes, how does it work?

That depends on the database and sort and search criteria.
I can only speak for what I am using.
I use Lightroom which allows you to use keywords of your designation;
Alaska, NewYork, National Parks, Car Shows; Aviation, etc. etc. as well as
collection & import folders. You can then filter search on keyword, or set
of keywords, collection or import group or renamed/numbered files.

Not what you're looking for, but there's a nice beta online reverse image
search engine for the web:
http://tineye.com/

Old March 11th 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:57:39 +0100 Alfred Molon wrote:

| Suppose that you have a database with thousands of images. Is there a
| tool for finding visually couples or sets of similar images out of a
| large number of images? If yes, how does it work?

I'd like to find software like this, too. But something for more than just
thousands of images, and runs on Linux without the need for graphical user
interface (e.g. background batch jobs run daily).

Old March 11th 09, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

On 2009-03-10 15:57:39 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

Suppose that you have a database with thousands of images. Is there a
tool for finding visually couples or sets of similar images out of a
large number of images? If yes, how does it work?

That depends on the database and sort and search criteria.
I can only speak for what I am using.
I use Lightroom which allows you to use keywords of your designation;
Alaska, NewYork, National Parks, Car Shows; Aviation, etc. etc. as well
as collection & import folders. You can then filter search on keyword,
or set of keywords, collection or import group or renamed/numbered
files.

I believe that Photoshop Elements has this feature, but I don't find it
to be in any real sense reliable. It seems to use the colors for matching.