Knock down price

Old January 29th 12, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SumWan

Default Knock down price

Bargain price Canon lens... a penny saved is a penny earned... as the old
saying goes.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tamron...58322-pdt.html

Old January 29th 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

In article , Bruce
wrote:

"SumWan" wrote:
Bargain price Canon lens... a penny saved is a penny earned... as the old
saying goes.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tamron...-ii-ld-aspheri

cal-if-macro-lens-for-canon-01558322-pdt.html

GBP 144 is a good price.

The cheapest UK-supplied item on eBay UK is GBP 161.

I bought one of those a few years back in Andorra or somewhere. It was
too expensive to travel back to the shop for a refund. I was too
embarrassed to sell the thing on E-Bay so I gave it a friend who was at
the time in dire need of any lens with better resolution than the
bottom of a beer bottle. It was better than a bottle, so he took it.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old January 29th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-01-29 11:35:12 -0800, Bruce said:

Elliott Roper wrote:
In article , Bruce
wrote:
"SumWan" wrote:
Bargain price Canon lens... a penny saved is a penny earned... as the old
saying goes.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tamron...-ii-ld-aspheri
cal-if-macro-lens-for-canon-01558322-pdt.html

GBP 144 is a good price.

The cheapest UK-supplied item on eBay UK is GBP 161.

I bought one of those a few years back in Andorra or somewhere. It was
too expensive to travel back to the shop for a refund. I was too
embarrassed to sell the thing on E-Bay

eBay would be the *best* place to sell it, I think. Lots of junk on
there now. ;-)

so I gave it a friend who was at
the time in dire need of any lens with better resolution than the
bottom of a beer bottle. It was better than a bottle, so he took it.

A 10X zoom that is better than a bottle? It must have been a good one!
Buyers of these 10X zoom lenses cannot have the faintest idea how bad
they are. Even the better ones are just mediocre. There was only
ever one good one, and it wasn't even from a camera brand. It was
made by Kino Precision of Japan and sold under the Kiron brand.

My Nikkor 18-200mm AFII has done quite well in combination with my
D300s, and it remains one of my most used lenses. Since it is the only
one of this type of lens i have experience with I can't address issues
with others of this ilk.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC5767Gw.jpg

....so I guess you are correct Bruce, I haven't got the faintest idea of
how bad it is.

Savageduck

Old January 29th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 1/29/2012 4:35 PM, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

...so I guess you are correct Bruce, I haven't got the faintest idea of
how bad it is.

Don't worry, Mr Duck, it is more than good enough for the SI.

Oops! We forgot that you are a well recognized photo artist, whose work
is so accepted that major galleries are clamoring to exhibit your work.
Your work is so good that none of us are worthy of viewing it.

--
Peter
Old January 29th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

In article 201201291215228930-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck

On 2012-01-29 11:35:12 -0800, Bruce said:

Elliott Roper wrote:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tamron...r-di-ii-ld-asp
[...]

Yep, that Tamron could never have produced even such a tiny picture
that sharp. My excuse was that it was the first lens I ever bought and
I was consumed by dutyfree-itis on the day. I had recently bought my
first DSLR - a canon 350D - and just like Bruce said, I had no idea
the lens was really that bad. I still had no idea whether mine was a
bad copy or they are all that vague and misty. It was very poor even
compared to the plastic kit lens that came with the 350D. I found the
old 350 the other day while cleaning out the barn, charged it up, fired
off a few shots with the plastic fantastic, and was quite pleasantly
surprised.

Old January 30th 12, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SumWan

It's not really about the quality of the lens, more the measly 1 penny
knocked off as a special offer.

Promotional offer £143.97

In-store price £143.98