lifespan mixed ID-11, stock dilution ?

Old November 4th 04, 12:16 PM
Koen

Default lifespan mixed ID-11, stock dilution ?

Anybody knows how long a batch of mixed ID-11 will last ?

I have a package for 10 litres here, but only a couple of films in 1+1
dilution every week, it will take me about half a year

Koen

Old November 4th 04, 01:28 PM
stefano bramato

as written in the data sheet 6 months.
but i never tryed so long: I finish 10 litres in less time than you!!

ciao

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!
Ed io imparo.

Old November 4th 04, 01:31 PM
Donald Qualls

Koen wrote:

Anybody knows how long a batch of mixed ID-11 will last ?

I have a package for 10 litres here, but only a couple of films in 1+1
dilution every week, it will take me about half a year

Koen

If you divide up the 10 liters into 1-liter bottles, filled completely
full (glass bottles with good quality gas-tight seals), the stock
solution in those bottles should easily last six months, and you'll use
up the open bottle in 2-3 weeks -- a short burst of canned air or butane
from a lighter refill can, to displace air before closing the bottle,
will help the life of the open bottle, but at your rate of usage it's
likely unnecessary. You can also mix D-76 (and presumably ID-11) to
half the volume, divide it up as above, and dilute 1:3 from the double
strength stock to get the same working solution as 1:1 from ordinary
stock -- and the concentrated stock solution will last better (and
require fewer bottles), though of course you're now up to taking six
weeks to empty a bottle of the double strength stock.

--
The challenge to the photographer is to command the medium, to use
whatever current equipment and technology furthers his creative

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old November 5th 04, 04:51 PM
Mike King

I did this with a gallon batch of Dektol, six months ago, stored in 24 oz.
glass soy sauce bottles with Saran wrap under the screw caps. Stock was
mixed from filtered water that had sat at least overnight to de-oxygenate
and mixed on a stir-plate, then filtered and decanted. Opened one, six
months old, the plastic wrap was indented, indicating that the oxygen in the
bottle's small head space of air had been used up, the stock was pale amber,
just like when I made it. None of that spoiled fish odor of bad Dektol and
I processed a pile of 8x10's in a tray of the stuff. Not very quantitative
but good enough for me. The composition of D-76/ID-11 is similar enough to
expect similar performance.
--
darkroommike

"Donald Qualls" wrote in message