Nikon D80 Flash options...

Old October 22nd 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Russell[_3_]

Default Nikon D80 Flash options...

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:20:44 -0700, nospam wrote:

i find sunpak flashes to be fairly intuitive.

Gosh - it must be great to be you.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
Old October 22nd 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
yawn

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:20:44 -0700, nospam wrote:

. not much more to it than that, but the manual is available
on line for free just in case.

I'm surprised you didn't post the link to the one you downloaded. Seeing as
how downloadable manuals are the only experience you've ever had with any
camera gear. Like most of your ilk. You've certainly proved this being your
only experience often enough.

Old October 22nd 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

"The Henchman" wrote:
I need a decent flash for my Nikon D80. The flash is mostly for indoor use
under household light like compact flourescents and incadescant lights.

Mainly for objects, macro in particular, but will also have to use for the
odd portrait shot. Might also be used for dusk or dawn outdoor shots if i
feel like goodfing around.

I use P and M modes and I try to use bracketing. I am strictly amatuer.

What are my options in brand new flashes and what options do I have for used
flashes. What are some pros and cons of your recommended models? I am of
the thrifty sort. I look for best value and not the best toy or cheapest
toy.

Given the range of things you'll do with it, the Nikon
SB-600 is almost certainly the right choice. You don't
need an SB-800 or SB-900 if you only have one flash, but
when you eventually want to expand to a second flash
those will be the ones that you'll need in order to
control the SB-600.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 22nd 09, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Given the range of things you'll do with it, the Nikon
SB-600 is almost certainly the right choice. You don't
need an SB-800 or SB-900 if you only have one flash, but
when you eventually want to expand to a second flash
those will be the ones that you'll need in order to
control the SB-600.

the d80 has commander mode, so an 800 or 900 is not absolutely
necessary as it would on a more entry level body, but it's certainly
nice to have.
Old October 22nd 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Neil
Harrington wrote:

I'll second Nospam's recommendation for the Nikon SB-600. With Nikon's
recent price increases it's not quite the bargain it was, but it's still
terrific value for the money and you'd be sure it's 100% compatible with
your D80 and Nikon's Creative Lighting System features.

the sb800 went *way* up in price after being discontinued. the sb900 is
overkill for a lot of people and there's nothing to fill the gap
between the 600 and 900, except a used 800. best buy blew them out for
something like $189, which was *less* than a new sb600. unfortunately,
i found out too late.

Wow, I never heard of that either. I already have one SB-800 but sure would
have snapped up another one at that price.

For about half the money there's the SB-400 which is a very nice, very
small, very simplified flash. If your needs are modest that might be all
you
need, but be aware that the SB-600 has far more capabilities. The
question
then is whether you need (or will need) those capabilities.

the sb400 is basically a more powerful version of what's built into the
camera. the 600 is a *lot* better and worth the difference.

Yes. The SB-400 does have bounce flash capability but that's about all.

I'm wondering when Nikon will bring out an SB-700 or something to replace
the ageing SB-600.