no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

Old October 22nd 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Default no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

jeff wrote:
My previous post was a bit unclear; I'll try and clarify the issue:

I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 on Ebay for $40, described as
"in new condition." I received it today and it is in fact in pristine
shape with all documentation, cables, CD and memory stick. This
afternoon I attempted to set it up and take some sample pics. The
problem is that you can't properly insert the memory stick. There's
no "click." I tried pushing it in place with the power on until the
stick is recognized and then closing the cover, but the recognition is
lost; the camera can't read the card - "NO MEMORY STICK." I
played with it a few times and once I was able to push the card into
the camera where it successfully recognized the card, and I was able
to take a few pictures. But that only worked once.

I'm not very concerned about the possibility of having gotten ripped
off for $40. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback and I'm
confident he'll agree to a refund, however, I'd like to keep the
camera instead, if i can get it to work properly. I like the camera.
It was intended as a gift for my young daughter. It's ruggedly
constructed and easy enough to operate for an eight year old.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
generally speaking?

TIA,
Jeff

Could you not wedge a small piece of foam rubber between the flap and the
top of the memory? The flap would then hold the memory in place.