Recommendations needed for flat-panel and CRT monitors for photo work?

Old October 31st 04, 08:05 AM
Mxsmanic

Default Recommendations needed for flat-panel and CRT monitors for photo work?

My excellent Sony 20" CRT is gradually giving up the ghost; it has
dimmed enough over the past two months that I no longer trust it for
photo work, and so I've suspended my scanning activities until I can
replace it.

I'm very interested in hearing recommendations for a new monitor. I
want a monitor that is well suited to precision photo work, and it
_must_ support at least 1600x1200 pixels at at least 60-70 Hz refresh.
It must have standard analog inputs compatible with my existing NVidia
video card. The monitor should be a 20" model (or a 19" viewing area
minimum). It must be able to resolve individual pixels on the screen at
1600x1200.

I'm interested in both flat-panel and CRT monitors. Traditionally I've
looked to CRTs for the very best quality for photo work (and I'd still
love to have a Sony Artisan, but I doubt if I can afford that now), but
I'm wondering how much the flat panels have improved. My CRT is
slipping so fast that just about anything would be better, I suppose.

I'd like recommendations based mainly on quality and reliability, and
also on both of these with respect to price (price/performance).

Have manufacturers succeeded in consistently producing large flat-panels
without defective pixels yet?

Old October 31st 04, 08:18 AM
Michael

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message ...
[...]

Price/performance-wise, even though LCDs have improved
over the past few years, still nothing touches Mitsubishi's
Diamondtron CRT. Their 22" 2070 is ~$700. To get the
same color gamut on an LCD costs 3x as much, or more.
Not to mention a CRT's resolution and refresh rate flexibility,
which cannot be had on an LCD at any price.

Mike

Old October 31st 04, 08:23 AM
Dave

Personally I think you should invest in monitor like in speakers for your
stereo system. The speakers on your stereo system are literally what you
hear - you don't hear the DVD player or the receiver, etc. Within limits
and unless you have very discriminating ears and are a real audiophile, the
impact of receiver and other electronics are nothing next to the speakers'
quality. Also, everyone has different ideas about what sounds good to them.

Same thing, in my mind, applies to monitors. The process/box/memory needs
to meet certain minimum standards (depending on use) but after that I would
say it doesn't matter much. But that is not true of the monitor. Go to the
store, take a look, try to get the salespeople to display from a CD a jpeg
file that you KNOW should look a certain way. See what YOU prefer. If you
want that Sony, GET IT. It will be with you for years, the 100s of dollars
different it might cost you now are nothing compared to the enjoyment and
satisfaction you will get over the years because you bought the right
display that was perfect, in your mind, for your use and application.

Old October 31st 04, 08:25 AM
Dave

Interesting, while a CRT does have inherently higher resolution and more
flexible resolution than LCD, with LCD there is as far as I know NO issue on
refresh rate - is not applicable to LCDs. The picture I've seen on LCDs is
always rock-steady. NEVER have observed ANY flickering.

Old October 31st 04, 09:13 AM
Michael

Granted, refresh rate is not an issue for still photography work,
but certainly is for video. Ghosting is still a problem on most
LCDs.

Old October 31st 04, 09:24 AM
Mxsmanic

Michael writes:

Price/performance-wise, even though LCDs have improved
over the past few years, still nothing touches Mitsubishi's
Diamondtron CRT. Their 22" 2070 is ~$700.

Are you talking about just this specific model, or all the related
Diamondtron models?

I've always bought Sony, but I see that these Mitsubishi CRTs seem to be
widely appreciated. Do they age gracefully (no blurring or distortion
as they get older)? My Sony's only real problem is that it's going
dim--the resolution and sharpness and convergence and geometry have
barely changed at all.

To get the same color gamut on an LCD costs 3x as much, or more.

So I've noticed.

Not to mention a CRT's resolution and refresh rate flexibility,
which cannot be had on an LCD at any price.

Yes. My other concern, though, is just putting the CRT into place. A
huge cube half a metre on a side weighing 30 kg is a lot to manipulate
by oneself, especially when it must be placed on the corner of a desk
(hard to avoid bending over in that case, and bending over with a heavy
weight is very risky).