Questions about my new Ansco 5x7

Old August 6th 04, 09:07 PM
Nick Zentena

Default Questions about my new Ansco 5x7

jjs wrote:

Then it's 1/4"x20. If it is anything else, then it's something someone made
up. I prefer 3/8", but even Linhof used 1/4" on their Master Technika.

The camera must be 50+ years old so anything is possible.

No the problem is the distance from the ground glass to the front of the
lensboard is too far. I checked the Scheinder website and the claron needs
151mm to the back of the shutter. I measured 6" from the lensboard to the
front of the lenboard. So it's kind of close. Assuming I measured right. A
recessed lenboard would fix it I guess. So would a back without the

extension.

What circle of coverage does that 150mm have?

It's supposed to be 80 degrees so 250mm. Scheinder claims less but I don't
think anybody believes them. I held the lens on the front of the camera and
it covers. Wasn't in focus but then I was holding one lensboard in front of
the other one adding even more distances from the film plane.

Nick

Old August 6th 04, 09:44 PM
jjs

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
news
jjs wrote:

Then it's 1/4"x20. If it is anything else, then it's something someone

made
up. I prefer 3/8", but even Linhof used 1/4" on their Master Technika.

The camera must be 50+ years old so anything is possible.

But even my 100 year-old Century 8x10 uses 1/4" TP thread. Anywho, let
us know, eh? Sounds like a great project!

Old August 7th 04, 02:58 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message

Hi,

The back on the camera I got seems to be an extension

back.
It's a good inch deep. Not a bad thing considering the

bellows are only
about 17" but I'm not sure I can focus a 150mm lens at

infinity. Are all the
backs this way? What size is the tripod mount? It isn't

1/4" or 3/8". I
doubt it's metric. I think I'm missing a rear rail but the

bellows I have
are a good fit for the two pieces I have. If I could

figure out how to mount
it on a tripod I think it could be taking pictures now. It

needs a good
cleaning and the wood could use some wax to make it travel

easier but other
then that it seems good to go.

Thanks
Nick

Ansco/Agfa made four view cameras:
1, Commercial View, 8x10 only. This has a built-in bed
extension on the back and also takes an external extension
on the front like a Kodak 2D. The total bellows extension is
36 inches.
The front extension fits into two sockets on the sides of
the front and there is a cam and key fastener in the center
of the same type used for fastening the folding section of
the bed.

2, Universal View, made in 5x7 and 8x10 sizes. Similar to
the Commercial view but has only the internal extension.
Bellows draw, 8x10, 26-1/2 inches, 5x7, 20-1/2 inches.

Both the Commercial and Universal had reducing backs
available. The 5x7 reducing back for the 8x10 is flat, the
4x5 back for the 5x7 is on a small riser.

3, Standard View Camera, a 5x7 low cost camera. It has a
fixed front. Maximum bellows draw, 14 inches.

Agfa/Ansco also made a low cost 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 view camera
called the Universal Junior. This has front focusing only.

There was a _lensboard_ extension for the two 8x10
cameras which increased distance by about 4-1/2 inches.

Both the Universal and Commercial View cameras have two
1/4-20 tripod sockets on the bottom, one on the front part
of the bed, one on the cross-brace of the back section. Both
8x10 cameras are equipped for use on a sliding bed block,
the 5x7 Universal does not have the side groove for the bed
block. The bed block also has two 1/4-20 sockets on it for
use on various tripods and camera stands.

The short bellows sounds like the Standard View camera.
If it has a fixed front and only rear focusing that's what
you have.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

The box back does not sound standard.

Old August 7th 04, 03:44 AM
Nick Zentena

Richard Knoppow wrote:

[...]

It's front axis tilt,rise/fall and shift. Rear base tilt and swing.
Focus on front and back. There is one tripod mount on the front but not on
the back. I was thinking it wouldn't be that stable with the front location
and the bellows racked out. I'm about 99% sure the bellows have been
replaced some time in the past. They look way to good to be orginal. The
outside dimensions of the back are about 10"x12" which is why I don't think
it started life on the camera. Everything has Ansco name plates. I don't
know maybe somebody took a few cameras apart and made one good one?

Right now my plan is to glue in a block in the rear rail for a tripod
mount.

Thanks
Nick
Old August 7th 04, 03:45 AM
Nick Zentena

jjs wrote:

But even my 100 year-old Century 8x10 uses 1/4" TP thread. Anywho, let
us know, eh? Sounds like a great project!

I found a hair pin inside the bellows. I'm not sure I want to know what
kind of photos this camera took-)) Hopefully not too much of a project. So
far just adding the tripod mounts and cleaning.

Nick

Old August 7th 04, 02:16 PM
Nick Zentena

I learned a few more things cleaning it up today. The back
started life out being some sort of sliding back. It still slides but it's
only setup for 5x7. The back actually adds just over 2" of extension. I'm
not missing a rail. What I had thought might have been a rear rail
attachment screw was in fact a little knob for the hook on the camera to
grab when you fold up the camera. Shifting the front right is kind of stiff
but other then that the cleaning and waxing seems to have put things right.
Famous last words I guess. Just need to get a tripod mount setup now.

Nick