Satin snow ground glass

Old July 16th 04, 01:51 AM
Argon3

Default Satin snow ground glass

Howdy...

I was going to order some groundglass from Satin Snow....the original glass on
my camera seems a lot dimmer than I think it should be and I hear that a finer
groundglass can give a brighter image.
Has anyone used a Satin Snow glass and found it to be an improvement? I've
seen links to Photo.net wherein there's a thread about making one's own
groundglass and using finer abrasives than are usually used and this seems to
be what the Satin people are doing. Any experiences in this regard?

thanks

argon
Old July 17th 04, 09:53 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Argon3" wrote in message
Howdy...

I was going to order some groundglass from Satin

Snow....the original glass on
my camera seems a lot dimmer than I think it should be and

I hear that a finer
groundglass can give a brighter image.
Has anyone used a Satin Snow glass and found it to be an

improvement? I've
seen links to Photo.net wherein there's a thread about

making one's own
groundglass and using finer abrasives than are usually

used and this seems to
be what the Satin people are doing. Any experiences in

this regard?

thanks

argon

Finer grain GG will make the illumination more uniform
and is easier to focus on but won't make the image much
brighter. Before investing in the glass try washing the
glass you have. If the ground side gets a bit greasey it
will become a bit more transparent causing it to have a hot
spot and look grainy. Dishwashing detergent in warm water
will work fine.
I am not familiar with Satin Snow. There are three ways
of making ground glass. One is to sand blast the surface,
this yields the coarsest surface, the next finest is
grinding it with rouge, the third method is acid etching.
The last gives the finest surface. That may be what this
outfit is doing.
I used to get very satisfactory GG from Edmund Scientific
but it was no longer in the catalogue after the company
split into two. I think Edmund Optical may still have it.
A tip, ground glass is best cut using a carbide scribe.
The familiar wheel type window glass cutters will cut it but
not very accurately. You can get a scribe from a hardware
store for less than $10 US.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 3rd 04, 01:27 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Argon3" wrote in message
Howdy...

I was going to order some groundglass from Satin

Snow....the original glass on
my camera seems a lot dimmer than I think it should be and

I hear that a finer
groundglass can give a brighter image.
Has anyone used a Satin Snow glass and found it to be an

improvement? I've
seen links to Photo.net wherein there's a thread about

making one's own
groundglass and using finer abrasives than are usually

used and this seems to
be what the Satin people are doing. Any experiences in

this regard?

thanks

argon

I had a look at the Satinsnow web site. They are acid
etching the glass so its probably pretty fine grained. Their
prices are actually very reasonable, plus they will sell the
glass with or without cross-hatching and with or without the
corners cut.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 19th 04, 05:01 AM
Satin Snow

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message ...
"Argon3" wrote in message
[...]

Hi This is Dave Parker, I own and operate Satin Snow(TM) Ground glass,
and I just wanted to clear something up....I do not acid etch my
glass, it is hand ground with a very strong empasise on ensureing the
focus plane is flat, which helps ensure that the light distribution is
even across the entire surface of the glass viewing screen. But I can
assure you, it is NOT acid etched glass.

Dave Parker
Ground Glass Specialties
Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass
P.O. Box 10591
Kalispell, MT 59904
www.satinsnowglass.com

Old August 19th 04, 02:34 PM
Argon3

Thanks for clearing that up, Dave.
I got the impression that you did hand-grind the glass from your website where
I think that there was an allusion to the possibility that acid etching would,
indeed, "frost" the glass but, if the glass surface wasn't perfectly flat to
begin with, it would not ensure that the glass surface would be a perfectly
flat plane.

argon
Old August 19th 04, 06:40 PM
Satin Snow

(Argon3) wrote in message ...
Thanks for clearing that up, Dave.
I got the impression that you did hand-grind the glass from your website where
I think that there was an allusion to the possibility that acid etching would,
indeed, "frost" the glass but, if the glass surface wasn't perfectly flat to
begin with, it would not ensure that the glass surface would be a perfectly
flat plane.

argon

Hi Argon,

We found through extensive testing, that Acid etch, even though it
produces a fine grained glass, still leaves a surface uneven and is
very difficult to produce great results due to the un-even surface and
light distribution, I am also getting reports back from customers who
own acid etched glass that our foucs screens are as fine and in some
instances finer grained than the acid etched glass, part of the secret
to getting a bright screen corner to corner is the flatness and even
light distribution across the whole surface of the glass, getting a
perfectly flat plane on a piece of glass is difficult, due to the
cooling properties when the glass is poured, the way we grind our
glass ensures a flat screen. I have had reports from several
individuals using both 8x and 10x loupes for focusing cannot really
see the grain, and I have done several screens for people who are
actually taking their fresnels out and are happier with the brightness
of our screens.

Again, thanks for the interest and questions.

I don't often frequent these news groups, so please if anyone has
questions feel free to email us at gglass(at)satinsnowglass(dot)com,
just replace the at and dot with the correct symbols and we will get
right back to you.

Thanks

Dave Parker
Ground Glass Specialties
Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass
'Focus on the Picture, Not on the Glass'
Old August 19th 04, 07:06 PM
jjs

"Satin Snow" wrote in message
om...
(Argon3) wrote in message

There is apparently an issue regarding the thickness of the glass. Can you
elaborate? Thank you.