Where I keep my spare cats.

Old May 21st 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

nospam
Sat, 20 May 2017
16:23:02 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

That does *not* mean malware written specifically to take
advantage of mac users doesn't exist. infact, it does.

it does, but it's rare and relies on the user to do something
stupid. the exploit is not the mac, but the person using it.

Most malware relies on stupid users...With some notable exceptions.
And, it's not as rare as you seem to think. In fact, it's on the
rise. I've included some urls in this post, but a simple search
query for osx or mac malware would provide LOTS more, if you
actually wanted to educate yourself.

Hospitals don't routinely use Macs.

yes they do, as well as a significant number of ios devices.

In which country? The ones I've seen in the states are PC Based. Not Mac.
The VA in Johnson City, TN is PC based. Not mac.

Do you have specific hospitals that are mac and not PC based?

while windows may be the most common, it's not the only system in
use.

No, it's not. And, PCs aren't limited to windows.

Macs used to have the schools in the US on essential lockdown,
but, that's changed too. Now adays, kids are sent home with
Windows based laptops on lease from the school, typically budget
Dells (in this area)

nope. schools have mostly moved to chromebooks. there are also a
lot of ipads in use too.

Depends on what state/city you live in. As I said, in this area,
they are coming home with Dells, not macs.

As for the schools doing the chromebook thing:

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/g...-federal-trade
https://www.eff.org/wp/school-issued...tudent-privacy

nope. mac os is *less* proprietary than windows is. much of it is
open source. almost none of windows is open source.

Some of it's open source, not all of it. And, I wasn't comparing it
to Windows, either. PC doesn't automatically mean, Windows, despite
the god awful actions of Microsoft to try and make it that way.

LOL! The individual I tried to warn you about would disagree with
you. I'm infamous as a former blackhat. I've got quite the
reputation that he enjoys reminding me of at times. Some of my
'work' was written about in Rolling Stone magazine. So, doubt all
you like.

bull****.

Nope...here's the section of the transcribed article about me and
one of my actual PC (multi OS) based viruses:

You can contact Rolling Stone and confirm this is from them, the
actual print magazine with David Spade on the cover practically
naked except for the plant covering him. I know, because I bought
several physical copies of it when the article below came out. I
liked seeing my handle in actual print magazine. It really stroked
my ego. ROFL!

http://vxheaven.org/lib/static/vdat/misc0031.htm
Notes from the virus Underground...

Computer viruses are the terrorist threat of the digital age.
The inside story of who creates them and why...
By Kim Neely

This article originally appeared in the Sept 16th, 1999 issue of
Rolling Stone magazine.

If you did make this virus then first off, damn you," reads a June
2nd Usenet post by one Marcin Mirski. "And second, how can I get my
infected files back?"

Messages like this turn up fairly often in the alt.comp.virus
newsgroup. Mirski has come to the group to ask about the happy faces
that keep showing up on his screen when he's using Windows 98. The
happy faces, he reported in an earlier post, are accompanied by a
message reading, "Oops! I've got such terrible munchies. TERMiTE
v1.0 RAiD [SLAM]".

Within twenty-four hours, Mirski's query has been answered with a
post by RAiD, the proud papa of TERMiTE, a.k.a. HLLP.5000. "Isn't he
kewl?" asks RAiD in his response. "Have you seen my graphical
payload yet? Does it look like crawling termites to you? Have you
seen my other payload yet? You're still here, so I guess not."

Other posters add to the thread, explaining to Mirski the steps he
needs to follow to get rid of TERMiTE. before it launches the
randomly triggered second payload, which will wipe his hard drive.
In the midst of advice giving, David Chess, a highly respected
antivirus researcher with IBM, pointedly addresses TERMiTE's author:
"Just out of curiosity, RAiD, did you feel any impulse whatsoever to
apologize to Mr. Mirski for having written a damaging virus in the
first place?"

"None Whatsoever," RAiD fires back. "I'm rather proud of that virus,
why on earth would I apologize for something it was designed to do?
Mind you, I didn't expect it to get as far as it has, but that's
neither here nor there."

A member of the VX group Slam and one of the loudest, most
unrepentant coders on the Net, RAiD is the kind of virus writer who
makes antivirus workers - and often other virus writers - gnash
their teeth in frustation. He's the guy who pops into the mind of PC
users as they nervously scan their disks with AV software. Not only
does he write viruses with malicious payloads, he also takes a
fairly obvious measure of delight in watching them spread.

You were saying? I know a considerable amount about Malware as
it relates to the most common platforms for it's delivery, That of the PC.
While MAC malware is marginal, it's hardly non existant.

https://arstechnica.com/security/201...d-for-2-years/
https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/06/backd...r-mac-malware/
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...e-in-the-wild/
https://www.howtogeek.com/210589/mac...mic-has-begun/
https://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/...y-credentials/

Macs are by no means, as secure from Malware as you may have thought.

by itself sure. once it's unzipped, not so much.

How's that? The .zip file itself is harmless. The unzipped contents
may not be, but, that's not on the .zip file itself. Any archive
format has the same problem. We aren't talking about self extracting
executables, but actual .zip files that require a 3rd party
unarchiving tool.

You actually run a better risk of
something nasty coming from a pdf...

that depends on the pdf viewer. some are safer than others.

safer is the keyword of the day. Saferperfectly safe. A standard
..zip file is nothing more than an archive. It cannot pose any danger
to you simply by unzipping it, UNLESS, it's not a standard .zip file
and you're using a vulnerable client. unlike PDF files.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/researc...g-as-pdf-file/
https://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002241.html

What part of, downloading something doesn't automatically result
in an 'infection' is too complicated for you to understand?

absolutely false. it *can*.

Cite Example(s) of something that simply being downloaded is harmful.

not as much as you think you do, and very little of what you know
is applicable to macs.

You seem to grossly underestimate the knowledge I have on the
subject of Malware. I provided some links to some virus families I
wrote, personally. I also included the fact I was recruited to work
for a company known as Malwarebytes as an expert Malware Researcher.
I processed lots! of live, binary 0day, samples on a weekly basis
for them.

As well as writing my own antimalware scanner.
This is a partial list of the things it knew about at the time of
it's active development:

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/partlist.txt

you're also not the only person who knows about security.

I didn't claim I was, but, OTH, I didn't claim the comment about
being written about in Rolling Stone magazine was bull****
either...So you'll have to forgive me if I laugh at you quite a bit.
Ok?

Old May 21st 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

gray_wolf
Sun, 21 May 2017 04:15:17 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

I thought all the big boys use .rar At least on the Usenet binary
groups. I also had a crypto man tell that a properly passworded
rar file was almost impossible to break. He said zip was very
insecure.

If your friend can crack AES256 bit, the NSA has a job opening for
him. As do many other organizations. And, I do use .rar for scene
distribution purposes, myself. But, that has nothing to do with this
subject.

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t931854/

How secure is Winzip and Winrar encryption?

Both programs WinZip and WinRar use AES (Advanced Encryption
Standard) for encryption, when implemented correctly and in
conjunction with a long alphanumerical hard to guess passphrase, the
AES cipher is impossible to crack in a reasonable amount of time,
that means in your lifetime.

State sponsored agencies are also not able to crack a password
protected Zip or Rar file if this has been encrypted with a hard to
guess pass, the law of mathematics just like the law of physics, is
equal for everyone.

Recovering a password protected .zip or .rar file

The only known method to recover a forgotten password from a password
protected .zip or .rar file created using the latest WinZip and
WinRar versions, is to use a brute force attack. In a brute force
attack an automated software will use up all of the dictionary words
and run all of them attempting to match the file password.

Knowing if special characters and numbers were used in the
passphrase, as well as knowing the length of the password, is very
helpful while setting up the program to launch a brute force attack
against the encrypted .zip or .rar file.Cracking a .zip file
protected with encryption can take minutes, months or a hundred
years, depending on processing power and how hard to guess the
password is.

I have copies of various flavors of the passware kit, and, brute
forcing is the only viable option (which is a waste of time if the
key was properly created) if it's used against a modern .zip file.
The one I created is by no means a modern version, doesn't use AES
(that version of PKZIP didn't support it) and it has no password. so,
it's quite easy to unzip it.

Your friend needs to brush up on his/her knowledge.

Old May 21st 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Sat, 20
May 2017 17:28:56 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Overall, I find this entire thread quite hilarious... it stems
from someone for whatever reason has a case of claimed butthurt
and they're trying to subsequently rationalize their lame use of a
.zip file to hoodwink some disinterested third parties who don't
know them from Adam into not only believing their "story", but
also that they should download a non-trustable file.

I'm not trying to hoodwink you or anyone else into believing
anything. You can read alot about David Brooks in
alt.computer.workshop, alt.comp.freeware and alt.2600. No need to
take my word for anything.

Thanks, but no. Troll boy needs to give up and go back to his
Mommy's dogs for the supposed 'sympathy' they're soliciting for.
The whole act is hokey. And, even if it was legit, invariably
ancient news that's no longer germane.

I'm not trying to solict anything of the sort. You have a known
stalking troll in your midst, and, I was simply warning you about
them.

Here's further proof of it, taken from this newsgroup where he
butters up to one of your regular posters and tries to solicit his
help:

MID:

Do, please, read the WHOLE thread started by Mr Cook - called "Wanna
torrent? " - on the 'alt.computer.workshop' group.

Just *HOW* can I 'hang him out to dry'? (if you catch my drift!)

Heh heh heh.

The only people being hoodwinked as you put it, are the suckers who
think he's harmless.

Old May 22nd 17, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:13:43 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh wrote:

Overall, I find this entire thread quite hilarious... it stems
from someone for whatever reason has a case of claimed butthurt
and they're trying to subsequently rationalize their lame use of a
.zip file to hoodwink some disinterested third parties who don't
know them from Adam into not only believing their "story", but
also that they should download a non-trustable file.

I'm not trying to hoodwink you or anyone else into believing
anything. You can read alot about David Brooks in
alt.computer.workshop, alt.comp.freeware and alt.2600.

Hookwink ... butthurt whine - - not really all that much of a difference
for your potential motivations.

In any case, the only one who cares about these other topic groups
are those who participate in both, which in looking simply at which
groups these are, is a very short list.

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you have to grind.

No need to take my word for anything.

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP files" bull****.

You have a known stalking troll in your midst, and, I was simply warning
you about them.

Well if that's actually true, then your job is done ... So goodbye!

-hh
Old May 22nd 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/19/2017 6:57 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/19/2017 2:19 PM, PAS wrote:
On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child. But
we have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the
dog lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons
was an infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog, that
was mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going
about five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she was an
awesome dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see often

As a puppy: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A

Wow! :-) I've never seen such a dog! Thanks for sharing the
photographs.

Maya died two years ago at the age of 5 1/2. To say my wife was
devastated is an understatement. She was attached to that dog in a
way I had never seen. There are days where I still find her crying
over Maya.

I'm saddened to learn of your loss. I, too, have cried over the loss
of my pets over the years. They do, as you know, become a part of you.

They certainly do become part of us. We have two now, Bella and Bubba.
Bubba is from the same litter as Maya was. Bella is six months younger
from the same father but different mother. We haven't had Bubba since
he was a pup, we only had Maya at the time. Bella came six months
later. A family on Long Island not far from us bought Bubba. Three
years ago they decided they had to give him up. The couple who bought
him had a baby at the time and three years later had another one. Her
mother was going to care for the two children while the mother went back
to work but she was allergic to dogs so they gave him up. When you buy
a dog from the breeder we got them from, you agree that if you decide to
give up the dog for any reason then you must give the breeder first
opportunity to take the dog. The breeder is in North Carolina, quite a
distance from Long Island. The couple was being difficult and they were
adamant that they would give the breeder one week to come and get the
dog or else they would send him to a shelter. She was upset about this
because she couldn't get to Long Island within a week - she has a family
and a job and what-not to attend to. She asked us if we would take
Bubba until a suitable place was found for him. We agreed immediately
and after having him for a day, we decided we would keep him. He's a
timid dog but a good boy. I wonder what causes him to be so timid
because he avoids being pet most of the time, as if he is afraid. I
wonder how he was treated by his other family.

My guess is that he was never properly socialized, or that he is upset
over his change of pack leader. You cannot force him to do anything.
Talk softly to him at all times. Hopefully he won't become aggressive
out of fear. Try frequent hand feeding with treats. I assume he will
let you brush him. If so, give him treats while brushing, and every
so often substitute your hand for a brush.

I am sure he was not socialized, rarely taken out of the house. He's a
good boy, very timid but loving. He loves me to chase him around in the
yard. He dares me to chase him when I want him to come inside and he
just comes up to the door and backs away. In August it will be three
years that he's been with us. He acclimated fairly quickly but he did
come from a home with no other dogs. No doubt he was a confused dog
wondering why he was taken out of his home to a new one but he got along
with our dogs very well and that was a concern. If he was aggressive
towards our dogs then we wouldn't have kept him but he was the farthest
thing from that. He's pretty obedient too. Shar Peis require regular
ear cleanings and Maya and Bella fought it. Bubba just lies down and
lets me do it. He doesn't like but he doesn't fight it. We are very
happy with our decision to keep him.

Old May 22nd 17, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 22 May 2017 02:06:13 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 19 May 2017 16:44:41 UTC+1, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 03:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

someone calling themselves
emailed mt this morining with a zip attachment called 5566046.zip
do you think I should open that zip if so why ?

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.
Old May 22nd 17, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

someone calling themselves
emailed mt this morining with a zip attachment called 5566046.zip
do you think I should open that zip if so why ?

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schroedinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Savageduck

Old May 22nd 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Mon, 22
May 2017 10:39:09 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you have
to grind.

I have no axe to grind...

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP
files" bull****.

You don't need to trust my zip file. Or me. I've provided enough
resources for you to fact check what I've written for yourself.

You have a known stalking troll in your midst, and, I was simply
warning you about them.

Well if that's actually true, then your job is done ... So
goodbye!

Yes, my job is done. However, I'm not leaving just yet. I find some of
the conversations interest me. So, I'll remain for a bit. Besides, I've
*never* taken orders from someone who's unable to access usenet via a
real server and client. I really don't know how you can stand google
groups idea of access...

Old May 22nd 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Whisky-dave
Mon, 22
May 2017 09:49:19 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

It wasn't
written for your mac. So, your example, is a bad one.

Unless my mac was running gone of the emulators I have run in the
past.

It would affect the virtual environment your emulator provided for
it, then...It wouldn't be able to do much of anything with your mac
file system, or mac specific files within it.

If one should put the cash a typical mac costs into a PC clone,
the mac doesn't stand a chance. Macs used to specialize in
graphics design, and photography work; but, the newer video cards
and software available for the PC made the mac unable to
realistically compete there either. At best, it's become a level
playing field now.

But you still have the **** MS software to deal with and that's
what some as well as myself don't really like.

That's upto the user. NON MS based operating systems are freely
available, if the user wants to run one. Or more. I have five
machines running linux distros as their native OS.

The poster of the link isn't the one who creates the scripts
dropbox uses, so what does trusting the poster have to do with
my question?

everything. Just like lending someone yuor car, computer or
anything else.

I fail to see the comparison.

That's obvious.

So the comparison I'm missing is?

So again, I'll ask, since the user you
trust has no control over any of the scripts dropbox uses, what
difference does it make if you know the person or not?

same way I'd decide whether or not to lend someone money or a car
or camera or computer.

Are you having trouble understanding what I wrote? As, your response
to my question makes no sense.

ROFL! It indicates NOTHING of the sort.

Yes it does it's why banks use it.

Your assumption isn't that accurate.

accurate enough.

For a simpleton, perhaps.

My site does NOT interact with you, offers a program that was
always free and has been discontinued for years now. there's no
incentive or reason otherwise to deal with paying for a cert and
encrypting the data. So again, you might want to review the
HTTPS link I provided you previously from slashdot if you
actually want the technical specifics on it. I suspect, though,
you could care less. As, it's likely beyond your limited
understanding. After all, you think a .zip file by itself, is
dangerous.

I don't trust such files from unkown sources.

As I told you, My domain has no secure areas for you to visit.
There's no valid reason for me to use HTTPS. Do you need to
research what a 'secure area' is?

couldn't care less not interersted.

But! You thought HTTPS made the site 'safe', now you don't want to
know why your comment wasn't accurate?

snip the rest of your ****

Too complicated for you to understand, I get it. That's probably why
you feel right at home on a Mac. They are good baby sitters for those
who don't know, or want to learn, how the machine in front of them
works. Apple prides itself on dumbing technology down and charging
you out the ass for it. MS has alot to more work to do to get
anywhere near where Apple is on both counts.

Old May 22nd 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 22 May 2017 08:48:11 -0700, Savageduck