Setting image size in Nikon D50

Old March 25th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Setting image size in Nikon D50

I just got a new Nikon D50 and I have a question about Image Quality. Which
size do I use on a vacation trip to Europe. The menu lists 5 sizes;NEF
Raw, JPEG Fine, JPEG Normal, JPEG Basic and NEF+JPEG Basic. I have been
using Fine, which gives me 284 pictures on a 1 gig SD card. I really don't
want to buy a second 1 gig card, if I don't have to, but will the pictures
taken at the Normal setting which will give me 551 pictures be good enough
to blow up to 8x10 if need be? On my Canon G3, I use fine and it's only a
4 megapixel camera, The D50 is 6 megs so would Normal be okay?
Old March 25th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jack wrote:
I just got a new Nikon D50 and I have a question about Image Quality. Which
size do I use on a vacation trip to Europe. The menu lists 5 sizes;NEF
Raw, JPEG Fine, JPEG Normal, JPEG Basic and NEF+JPEG Basic. I have been
using Fine, which gives me 284 pictures on a 1 gig SD card. I really don't
want to buy a second 1 gig card, if I don't have to, but will the pictures
taken at the Normal setting which will give me 551 pictures be good enough
to blow up to 8x10 if need be? On my Canon G3, I use fine and it's only a
4 megapixel camera, The D50 is 6 megs so would Normal be okay?

My advice is not to skimp on image quality. When will you be going to
Europe again? Shouldn't you take the best images you can? Why have the
D50 if you are going to use an inferior setting? If you do not want to
purchase a second card (I would) then why not just copy your images off
onto a CD when you are near a photo store?

--

Seinfeld Lists - NEW URL
http://seinfeld.freehostpro.com/index.html

California Photos
http://tinyurl.com/ann2l

LOST - Sawyer's Nicknames
http://tinyurl.com/gowma
Old March 25th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I hate to give the generic answer, but what you really should do is
take a couple of pics on normal, travel down to your local printer (or
use your own if you have one), and print them out to check for quality.

There is definitely a quality difference. Whether or not it is
significant, or even noticeable, to you is really a subjective
decision. Lots may depend on the types of pictures that you take, and
whether or not detail sharpness is important.

A shot of a tree, in which you want to see details on leaves, will be
different than a portrait shot, where some softness may not be a bad
thing.

Either way, a 6 megapixel "normal" shot from a D50 is still a
high-quality picture by most measures.

Old March 25th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jack" wrote in message
I just got a new Nikon D50 and I have a question about Image Quality. Which
size do I use on a vacation trip to Europe. The menu lists 5 sizes;NEF
Raw, JPEG Fine, JPEG Normal, JPEG Basic and NEF+JPEG Basic. I have been
using Fine, which gives me 284 pictures on a 1 gig SD card. I really don't
want to buy a second 1 gig card, if I don't have to, but will the pictures
taken at the Normal setting which will give me 551 pictures be good enough
to blow up to 8x10 if need be? On my Canon G3, I use fine and it's only a
4 megapixel camera, The D50 is 6 megs so would Normal be okay?

Hi.

Like someone else said, what is the point of spending a lot on a quality
Camera, then compressing the image down so that you get less than top
quality. You should be saving as NEF, they are only about 5 Mb each.

How much did the Camera Cost?
How much will yur trip cost?

How much does another couple of 1 Gig Cards cost?

Get real.

Roy G

Old March 25th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jack" wrote in message
I just got a new Nikon D50 and I have a question about Image Quality. Which
size do I use on a vacation trip to Europe. The menu lists 5 sizes;NEF
Raw, JPEG Fine, JPEG Normal, JPEG Basic and NEF+JPEG Basic. I have been
using Fine, which gives me 284 pictures on a 1 gig SD card. I really don't
want to buy a second 1 gig card, if I don't have to, but will the pictures
taken at the Normal setting which will give me 551 pictures be good enough
to blow up to 8x10 if need be? On my Canon G3, I use fine and it's only a
4 megapixel camera, The D50 is 6 megs so would Normal be okay?

A really good way to answer your question:
Use the Normal setting, and try printing an 8x10, and see if it's good
enough for you. We can't make that determination, because we aren't
you.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old March 25th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jack" wrote in message

I just got a new Nikon D50 and I have a question about Image Quality. Which
size do I use on a vacation trip to Europe. The menu lists 5 sizes;NEF
Raw, JPEG Fine, JPEG Normal, JPEG Basic and NEF+JPEG Basic. I have been
using Fine, which gives me 284 pictures on a 1 gig SD card. I really don't
want to buy a second 1 gig card, if I don't have to, but will the pictures
taken at the Normal setting which will give me 551 pictures be good enough
to blow up to 8x10 if need be? On my Canon G3, I use fine and it's only a
4 megapixel camera, The D50 is 6 megs so would Normal be okay?

If you are going to be taking a DSLR on vacation then you want to make it
worth while and be able to shoot a lot of pictures as the more you shoot the
better your chances of getting good shots. I tend to take about 2GB/day of
NEFs (about 300 shots) when on vacation, and burn them to DVD each day on my
laptop. Relying on a single 1GB card to cover a whole vacation would mean
you could be mising good shots if you go for RAW, or missing quality if you
go for JPG, as they are not good for post processing compared with NEFs
which you can work on and tweak settings without loosing the original
quality.

Old March 25th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

[...]

I guess I'll have to buy at least 1 more card, probably a 2 gb, before I
leave.
Old March 27th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jack wrote:

I guess I'll have to buy at least 1 more card, probably a 2 gb, before I
leave.

Jack,

the other alternative you might have is to go to a camera shop - in any
country, for approximately 5 euros, they can put your pictures on a cd
using the format you want.

This is what I do everytime I travel in Europe.
Enjoy your new toy and have a nice trip !

Bimmerina