Antique film holder soiught

Old October 30th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Antique film holder soiught

I've probably posted this request here before, but what the hell: this
group is practically dead anyhow, so maybe it's a good idea just to post
*something*.

Took another look at one of my antique folding plate cameras today and
thought how nice it would be to actually use it. It's an Ica Favorit,
9x12 size, complete except for a plate holder.

Now before you suggest that I just get a standard 9x12 plate holder,
problem is that they won't work. The Ica takes much wider holders and
has a completely different latching system (it uses two latching posts
on the top of the holder that lock it in securely, a much better system
than any other plate camera that I've seen.)

I do have a film pack holder that fits this camera, but as you can
guess, this is as useless as fill in colorful metaphor here. I did
start making a film holder for the adapter that would hold a single
sheet of film, and I could probably get it to work, but it would be a PITA.

So does anyone know where I might look for such holders, besides eBay?
(I scan auctions there regularly.) I've contacted all the places I know
about, some of which are no longer in business, with no luck.

It's a really nice camera. Nicest feature is the detachable back,
allowing either landscape or portrait orientation without moving the
camera. Has a nice super-clean 150mm Tessar just begging to be used ...

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Old November 10th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 11/10/2009 8:19 AM juanster spake thus:

On Oct 30, 11:18 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

It sounds like a nice camera in need of use. So no other existing
holder will work?

No; as I stated, the back on this camera accepts holders that are a lot
wider than the (more-or-less) standard holders used on other folding
plate cameras (Zeiss, Ica, Voigtlander, etc.). No way to make them fit.

I guess ebay, KEH, Midwest photo.

Yeah, well, been there, done that. No luck.

By the way, the places where one might have a lot more luck finding old
stuff like this are those like Pacific Rim Camera. I wouldn't even waste
my time looking at KEH or Midwest. They've got practically nothing in
this dep't.

I've tried to sell some Voigtlander plate holders years ago on ebay
with absolutely no response, so there may not be any interest in plate
holder owners even listing them.

There actually are a lot of film holders of this general type sold on
eBay these days. Just take a look.

If it all falls apart try making your own film holder or roll film
adapter, I did a cheezy adaptation of a 612 Holga pinhole to a speed
graphic, it's very light weight.

Don't think so.

However, modifying the film pack adapter (basically just making an
insert to hold one sheet of film) is a possibility, as I said. At least
I'd be able to take one shot at a time ...