What imaging software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images automatically?

Old December 18th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ebike Charlie

Default What imaging software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images automatically?

What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
automatically?

Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.

If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
about the cameras or scanners as well.

Old December 18th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Aaron

And lo, Ebike Charlie emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
automatically?

Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.

If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
about the cameras or scanners as well.

I don't think there's such a thing as a program that does this
*automatically*. If there were, I'd be out of business!

But hey, for $60/hour I'd be happy to help you out with that problem.
http://www.fisheyemultimedia.com/

By the way, what you describe is tedious and difficult work in many
cases, it requires not only fitting the pieces back together, but
restoring the bits within the cracks that were lost in order to
produce a smooth image. I do use Photoshop for this.

--
Aaron
http://www.fisheyegallery.com
Old December 18th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Ebike Charlie" wrote in message
ups.com...
What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
automatically?

Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.

If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
about the cameras or scanners as well.

Automagically? I doubt it.

If you use a scanner and then stitch it back using a panorama program like
PTGui, use a lens focal length of some ridiculously high figure, like 1000mm
or higher if the program will accept it. Use rectilinear projection. Use
something like 1200 dpi or even higher for the scan setting.

Autopano does nicely too.

I am sure others will offer other advice.

Old December 18th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Rudy Benner" wrote in message

[...]

OOPS

Cancel everything I said, it will not work on torn fragments, no overlap.

Old December 18th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article . com,
"Ebike Charlie" wrote:

What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
automatically?

Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.

If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
about the cameras or scanners as well.

You cannot do this with software.

put the photo back together as closely as possible and secure with tape
on the back, scan the result at the highest resolution possible and
re-touch the joints between the pieces with PhotoShop.

I am sure there are people who will do this for you, but it will be a
long process and might cost well over a hundred dollars.

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
Old December 19th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Rudy Benner wrote:
[...]

Some Pano software will let you align the segments manually, but
automatic aligning requires overlap in every case I have seen. The
moral of this story is 'don't destroy the photos in a fit of anger in
the firs place'.
Old December 19th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

Ockham's Razor wrote:
In article . com,
"Ebike Charlie" wrote:

What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
automatically?

Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.

If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
about the cameras or scanners as well.

You cannot do this with software.

It's impossible for me to imagine that intelligence services have not
developed software to reconstruct shredded documents.

In fact:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3937/is_200309/ai_n9291123

Here is some literature on related subjects:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V03-4F6CMR3-5&_coverDate=04%2F01%2F2005&_alid=511253380&_rdoc= 1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=5635&_sort=d&view= c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_useri d=10&md5=0a1cdf914b3dd99fd78a9621cc3d5cce
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=513400.513410

but as far as I know you are right, there is no consumer-friendly
application that will do it.
Old December 19th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

timeOday wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
In article . com,
"Ebike Charlie" wrote:

[...]

Using PhotoPlus, I used it's extract function to isolate pieces of torn
text sheet. You then paste as new layer as needed to make a composite
image, moving/rotating individual layers as needed. I haven't tried a
photo yet, but that should be similar since fragment would be clearly
selectable from white background if using saved scanned image.
Dave Cohen
Old December 20th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

timeOday wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:
In article . com,
"Ebike Charlie" wrote:

[...]

Maybe NSA or the CIA would share their government funded implementation
with you. Grin.