how do I develop a photo????? PLEEEEEZ HELP!?

Old August 24th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default how do I develop a photo????? PLEEEEEZ HELP!?

HI, i made a pinhole camera for a school project, but i dont know how
to develop the film. i cant ask my teacher, and there are no books in
any of the librarys. the paper came with directions, but i dont
understand them at all. the paper is ILFORD MGV MULTIGRADE IV RC
DELUXE. Pleeeeeeezzzzzz help me, i have to know before school starts!

Old August 24th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
max

Hi, i'm using black and white, and the problem is that its still summer
in maine, and when my parents get home, the school is already closed,
Does anyone know of a website that could go over EVERYTHING? i tried
the library, and the only one that had a book was not in my town, so
they old me i would have to pay 20 dollars a month for an account. This
would help alot cause i dont have long b4 school
thanx

Old August 24th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

max wrote:
Hi, i'm using black and white, and the problem is that its still summer
in maine, and when my parents get home, the school is already closed,
Does anyone know of a website that could go over EVERYTHING? i tried
the library, and the only one that had a book was not in my town, so
they old me i would have to pay 20 dollars a month for an account. This
would help alot cause i dont have long b4 school
thanx

Hi Max,
What type of film(manufacture & size) did you use?
Knowing this will help others give you the
correct information to develop and print your
images.
If you are using film(B&W) try and see
if there is a local lab who can progess it for you.
If you are using paper for your negative then
all you would need is a dark room, a
red light (15 watts or less), a few
trays and chemistry.

There are a lot of folks who can answer your
questions. As long as we have some
idea of what your materials are, you will
get honest answers.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Old August 24th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'Cann

Is that film or paper? Sounds like a multigrade/multicontrast paper. It'll
make a big difference in the process (different chemicals). Read the box.
It's common for pinhole cameras, like the ones made from Quaker Oats boxes
to use a piece of black and white paper instead of film.

oups.com...

Old August 24th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
max

HI, i'm using paper, it is 5x7 and it is black and white. i dont have
any chemicals yet because i dont want to buy any and find out i need
more and have to make another trip out. i'm planning on doing it
myself, so all i really need is a list of good brands, and how to use
them.
thanx

Old August 25th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Irwin

max wrote:
HI, i'm using paper, it is 5x7 and it is black and white. i dont have
any chemicals yet because i dont want to buy any and find out i need
more and have to make another trip out. i'm planning on doing it
myself, so all i really need is a list of good brands, and how to use
them.

Paper developer - Anything sold as paper developer will
work fine. Kodak Dektol (comes in a yellow foil package
of powder) is the standard one, and it is the one I use.
Some people prefer the liquid concentrates. Kodak, Ilford
and Agfa are all good. Make sure it says on the package that
it is intended for black and white paper. (Film developer
will develop paper very slowly and may not give good blacks)

Stop Bath - 1.25% acetic acid is usual. I use one part
vinegar to three parts water. Photo stores will sell
bottles of 28% acetic acid which you dilute more.
Some stop baths have indicator dye so they change
colour when carried over developer has neutralised the
acid. Ilford brand stop bath uses citric acid which
doesn't smell.

Fixer - Use any brand of rapid fixer liquid concentrate.
Dilute as directed on the bottle.

Peter.

Old August 25th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ron Manfredi

Peter Irwin wrote:

Paper developer - Anything sold as paper developer will
work fine. Kodak Dektol (comes in a yellow foil package
of powder) is the standard one, and it is the one I use.
Some people prefer the liquid concentrates. Kodak, Ilford
and Agfa are all good. Make sure it says on the package that
it is intended for black and white paper. (Film developer
will develop paper very slowly and may not give good blacks)

Develop the paper about 1-1 1/2 minutes.

Stop Bath - 1.25% acetic acid is usual. I use one part
vinegar to three parts water.

This will work fine. Just dip the print in for about 15 seconds.
Photo stores will sell
bottles of 28% acetic acid which you dilute more.
Some stop baths have indicator dye so they change
colour when carried over developer has neutralised the
acid. Ilford brand stop bath uses citric acid which
doesn't smell.

Fixer - Use any brand of rapid fixer liquid concentrate.
Dilute as directed on the bottle.

Leave the paper in the fixer about 2-3 minutes. Make sure you do not
put on the lights until the paper has been fixed at least a minute.

Wash in a tray with running water for about 4 minutes and then pat dry
with a paper towel, and let them air dry, or use a hair dryer on low to
dry the paper.

Peter.

Peter gave you a great answer. Remember you will need to develop your
paper in a dark room; bathroom at night with the window covered works.
You can use a small (5-7 Watt) red bulb at least 6 feet away from the
paper developer tray as a safelight so you can see what you are doing.
Be sure to leave the paper in the fixer at least a minute before putting
on the regular "white" lights!

You will have developed a negative on a sheet of photo paper. Next step
will be to make a contact print (positive) from it.

Under the red safelight:
Place the dry negative on top of new sheet of paper. The shiney side of
the new paper should be facing up, and place the negative on top of it.

Hold it down under a clear sheet of glass (use old picture frame glass)
and then turn on the white light for about 1-2 seconds. This is where
you will have to experiment a bit to get the right exposure. Remember
that the MORE light that hits the paper, the DARKER the print will be.
Try developing the new sheet of paper, and you will have a print
(positive) of your work.

Good luck!

Ron
Old August 26th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
max

hey guys, thanks for the help. but one more question, i probably should
have asked this alot earlyer. how long should i let the photo expose in
the camera before shutting it and taking it to the darkroom?
p.s. i'm using a quaker oatmealbox & 5x7 photo paper resin coated i
think.
thanx