gimp on linux

Old August 21st 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ivan Danicic

Default gimp on linux

Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

Old August 21st 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

"Ivan Danicic" wrote:
Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

I've used various version 2.2 releases, and am now using version
2.3.9, and USM worked fine on all of them. I basically have
a Slackware Linux system, but compile and install GIMP locally.

What happens when you try it?

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 21st 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
no_name

Ivan Danicic wrote:

Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

Interesting, since AFAIK Gimp was originally written specifically for
Linux (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John
Old August 22nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Nope. It works for me.
Perhaps some plug-in or library module wasn't installed.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:16:04 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Nope. It works for me.
Perhaps some plug-in or library module wasn't installed.

It does here. I don't know about windows - I only use it for scanning.
--
Neil
Delete l to reply
Old August 22nd 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:00:18 GMT
no_name wrote:

Ivan Danicic wrote:

Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't
work on linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has
anyone else experienced this? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

Interesting, since AFAIK Gimp was originally written specifically for
Linux (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Well, Unix, anyway. The earliest versions of the GIMP required Motif,
which was an expensive add-on on Linux systems. I used the GIMP on
Suns years before I ever saw it running on Linux.

The OP didn't say which distribution or which version of the GIMP he's
using. In any event, unsharp mask works fine here on Fedora Core 5,
GIMP 2.2.12.

Paul Allen
Old August 22nd 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ivan Danicic

news

Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello all, I find that certain important features of gimp don't work on
linux e.g. unsharp mask. It woks well on windows XP. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Nope. It works for me.
Perhaps some plug-in or library module wasn't installed.

It does here. I don't know about windows - I only use it for scanning.
--
Neil
Delete l to reply

Hello All, your comments gave me confidence to try again. I found this: on
linux unsharp mask worked only on a copy of the image window and there is no
preview.
On winXP it works on the original image and there is a preview. Curious!
Thanks,
Ivan

Old August 22nd 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello All, your comments gave me confidence to try again. I found this: on
linux unsharp mask worked only on a copy of the image window and there is no
preview.
On winXP it works on the original image and there is a preview. Curious!

Gimp Version number of both platforms, please?

BugBear
Old August 22nd 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ivan Danicic

"bugbear" wrote in message
Ivan Danicic wrote:
Hello All, your comments gave me confidence to try again. I found this:
on linux unsharp mask worked only on a copy of the image window and there
is no preview.
On winXP it works on the original image and there is a preview. Curious!

Gimp Version number of both platforms, please?

BugBear

Hello, on XP version 2.2.1, on linux 2.0
Ivan

Old August 22nd 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Derek Fountain

Hello, on XP version 2.2.1, on linux 2.0

Hand shoots up
Ooh! ooh! I know! I know the answer!

Any GIMP users (Linux) joe mama Digital Photography 78 July 9th 06 12:09 AM
Viruses opium Digital Photography 146 February 15th 06 06:47 AM
Your choice of editing software? RobG Digital Photography 33 December 4th 05 06:21 PM
Apple releases Photoshop killer: Aperture. Where's GIMP? Karen Hill Digital Photography 53 November 3rd 05 06:25 PM
OsX compared to Linux and BeOS Jack Malmostoso 35mm Photo Equipment 13 February 14th 05 04:24 PM