35mm film, how much longer?

Old August 12th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tom Williams

Default 35mm film, how much longer?

I have a D70s digital SLR, but recently I'm finding an attraction to going
back to film. I'd like some professional estimations on how long 35mm film
will still be available, and used in the U.S. Not necessarily main stream,
but still fairly common?

Thanks,
Tom

Old August 12th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

Tom Williams wrote:
I have a D70s digital SLR, but recently I'm finding an attraction to going
back to film. I'd like some professional estimations on how long 35mm film
will still be available, and used in the U.S. Not necessarily main stream,
but still fairly common?

If you are thinking about going back to film why not go to a format
that will give you
better images then digital, like MF.

As far as profession estimations of how long 35mm film will be around I
am not sure what profession would be in a position to know.

Kodak is still is selling a few billion dollars of film a year so it
will probably still be around for a few years yet to come.

But if you try to look out 10 years I don't think anybody really
knows.

Scott

Old August 12th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Tom Williams wrote:
I have a D70s digital SLR, but recently I'm finding an attraction to going
back to film. I'd like some professional estimations on how long 35mm film
will still be available, and used in the U.S. Not necessarily main stream,
but still fairly common?

I picked up some developed medium format slide film yesterday and to
judge by the "film" bin at the store (a higher end store catering to
dedicated amateurs and pros), there was still a lot of avialable film
and processing going on.

The "better" films will probably be with us for a while yet.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old August 13th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Weinstein

On 2006-08-12 17:47:21 -0400, Mike said:

The nice thing about 35mm is that it is still widely used in the motion
picture industry.
I have a D70s digital SLR, but recently I'm finding an attraction to
going back to film. I'd like some professional estimations on how long
35mm film will still be available, and used in the U.S. Not
necessarily main stream, but still fairly common?

Thanks,
Tom

But not the same emulsions. Remember the old Seattle Filmworks stuff:
ends of motion picture film runs that they processed to negatives and
slides. Absolutely awful.
--
Michael | "He's dead, Jim."

Old August 13th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

"Michael Weinstein" wrote:

But not the same emulsions. Remember the old Seattle Filmworks stuff: ends
of motion picture film runs that they processed to negatives and slides.
Absolutely awful.

Seattle Filmworks had horrific quality control issues. I don't
know if it was in the lab, the way they acquired, stored, and
shipped the raw stock, or both.

A little over a year ago, I experimented with Fuji Eterna 500,
an ISO 500 tungsten balanced movie film. You can view some of
the results he
http://webwhat.home.comcast.net/Eterna.htm

If you want a roll of the stuff, I can probably arrange it.
I bought 200' at about 0.13 a foot.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Old August 13th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Foy

Movie film has a black anti-static, anti-halation backing, called "rem-jet",
that is removed by the movie processing equipment. If you process it in
ordinary minilab equipment, the backing can (and usually does) come off and
gum up the works. If you process it in small tanks or rotary tubes, you can
remove it by hand with gentle rubbing. Otherwise the differences between
movie emulsions and ordinary camera emulsions are not critical.

David Foy

Old August 13th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Gordon Moat

I think a true worse case scenario is that you would need to buy film
through mail-order or internet sources. In other words, your local
drugstore or department store might not carry them. If you live in a big
city, you should still be able to find several choices, but I think more
rural dwellers will need to go to sources that will ship film to them.

The lack of local film sources could at some point mean shipping off
your film for processing. Another option would be processing at home,
simple for B/W and slightly involved for colour films. There will
probably be several processing choices always in North America, though
if you do not live near one you will need to arrange shipping.

So basically, your D70 will give you instant gratification. If you
really want to continue using film, at some point in the future your
"gratification" will be greatly delayed, at least by a few days time.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old August 13th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Gordon Moat" wrote

I think a true worse case scenario is that you would need to buy film
through mail-order or internet sources.

In Cleveland we are there already. The last real camera store closed
last year. There are still some Ritz/Dodds stores, but they sell
digicams and frames. "'Kodachrome', what is that, is it for an Epson?"

The Future is Now.
The Future is Here.
The Future is _not_ Fun.

Old August 13th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message
[...]

Since I presently buy all my film in packages of 20 rolls at a time from
internet sources, It won't matter to me if the local stores stop carrying
it. Of course, if I were a pro and had to travel to exotic far away places
by air....then I might have a problem with that.....I would probably be
forced to switch to digital.....But as a hobbyist, it really doesn't matter.