Camera cleaning and extended warranties

Old July 17th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
swingman

Default Camera cleaning and extended warranties

Hello! I just got a miniDV camcorder and am considering an extended
warranty. I wonder if it would be worth it even if the camera doesn't
develop any problems just to be able to get it cleaned every year? - or
would I be able to clean the machine's heads, etc. as well as a service
center? I don't generally buy EW's as I take good care of my gear, but this
is my first camcorder and I'm keeping an open mind.

Old July 17th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Save 4 Bucks

"swingman" wrote in message
. com...
Hello! I just got a miniDV camcorder and am considering an extended
warranty. I wonder if it would be worth it even if the camera doesn't
develop any problems just to be able to get it cleaned every year? - or
would I be able to clean the machine's heads, etc. as well as a service
center? I don't generally buy EW's as I take good care of my gear, but
this is my first camcorder and I'm keeping an open mind.

Cleaning is not covered by any warranty. Warranties cover defects in
workmanship and materials.

Old July 17th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daryl Bryant

Does the warranty actually cover camera cleaning?

I always purchase the extended warranties on anything digital, big screen,
plasma or expensive!

--
There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
. com...

Old July 17th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Daryl Bryant wrote:
Does the warranty actually cover camera cleaning?

I always purchase the extended warranties on anything digital, big
screen, plasma or expensive!

You must be a very wealthy man, these warranties are a goldmine for the
insurers!

Old July 17th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Save 4 Bucks wrote:

"swingman" wrote in message
. com...
Hello! I just got a miniDV camcorder and am considering an extended
warranty. I wonder if it would be worth it even if the camera doesn't
develop any problems just to be able to get it cleaned every year? - or
would I be able to clean the machine's heads, etc. as well as a service
center? I don't generally buy EW's as I take good care of my gear, but
this is my first camcorder and I'm keeping an open mind.

Cleaning is not covered by any warranty. Warranties cover defects in
workmanship and materials.

You need to read the terms of the warranty--extended warranties on video
cameras often include a certain number of cleanings and further specify
that if the cleanings are not carried out the warranty is void.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 17th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
swingman

"swingman" wrote in message
. com...
Hello! I just got a miniDV camcorder and am considering an extended
warranty. I wonder if it would be worth it even if the camera doesn't
develop any problems just to be able to get it cleaned every year? - or
would I be able to clean the machine's heads, etc. as well as a service
center? I don't generally buy EW's as I take good care of my gear, but
this is my first camcorder and I'm keeping an open mind.

Cleaning is not covered by any warranty. Warranties cover defects in
workmanship and materials.

The extended warranty from Circuit City (Advantage Protection Plan) states
specifically:

"If your product has tape heads (select camcorders and cassette players), we
also provide a free annual cleaning to keep your gear performing its best."

Old July 17th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
swingman

"swingman" wrote in message
. com...
Hello! I just got a miniDV camcorder and am considering an extended
warranty. I wonder if it would be worth it even if the camera doesn't
develop any problems just to be able to get it cleaned every year? - or
would I be able to clean the machine's heads, etc. as well as a service
center? I don't generally buy EW's as I take good care of my gear, but
this is my first camcorder and I'm keeping an open mind.

Cleaning is not covered by any warranty. Warranties cover defects in
workmanship and materials.

You need to read the terms of the warranty--extended warranties on video
cameras often include a certain number of cleanings and further specify
that if the cleanings are not carried out the warranty is void.

Good point. Pesumeably, if the warrantly requires that the heads be cleaned
it will need to be done by a service center, but if it is not required I
wonder if I can perform the cleaning myself and achieve the same result? I
see that head cleaning tapes are available for camcorders...

Old July 18th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daryl Bryant

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Daryl Bryant wrote:
Does the warranty actually cover camera cleaning?

I always purchase the extended warranties on anything digital, big
screen, plasma or expensive!

You must be a very wealthy man, these warranties are a goldmine for the
insurers!

LOL - not terribly wealthy! However, I do have a tendency at breaking my
cameras -
those replacement no questions asked warranties sure do help!! smiles

Old July 20th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Meissner

"Save 4 Bucks" writes:

"swingman" wrote in message
. com...
Hello! I just got a miniDV camcorder and am considering an extended
warranty. I wonder if it would be worth it even if the camera doesn't
develop any problems just to be able to get it cleaned every year? - or
would I be able to clean the machine's heads, etc. as well as a service
center? I don't generally buy EW's as I take good care of my gear, but
this is my first camcorder and I'm keeping an open mind.

Cleaning is not covered by any warranty. Warranties cover defects in
workmanship and materials.

Olympus extended warranties do include one free cleaning in addition to the
warranty.

--
Michael Meissner
email: