GPS and Digital Photography

Old April 14th 06, 07:03 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.satellite.gps

Default GPS and Digital Photography

In article ,
Artoi wrote:

In article , Phil Wheeler
wrote:

Ted Edwards wrote:
Jack wrote:

The June issue of Digital Photographer has a good article on using a
GPS(Garmin 60csx), Canon DSLR, and inexpensive software to make
geo-positioning easier.

If you download and save your active track and your pictures to your
computer before doing anything to them, it is a trivial project to match
up the time stamps from the picture files and the GPS track log. In
fact it so easy it could even be done with one of those spread sheet
thingys.

Last trip was 14 days and over 2000 images. Might stress my track memory

Just remembered another software that supposed to have Photo-GPS
related functionalities, JetPhoto (for Mac OS X).

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17242

I haven't tried but people can read about it.

--

According to the Jetphoto website, it is also for Windows. The price
can't be beat.

By the way, with the current size of the storage media the simplest
solution might be to simply take a picture of your GPS screen every now
and then.

Harrie
Old April 14th 06, 08:01 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.satellite.gps

Artoi wrote:

By the way, with the current size of the storage media the simplest
solution might be to simply take a picture of your GPS screen every
now and then.

I think I like this method best!

Helluva waste of photo memory though! Especially if you're shooting in RAW
mode on a high MP camera!

What's wrong with simply pressing the "MARK" button on your GPS?

Paul

Old April 14th 06, 08:42 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.satellite.gps

In article , Paul Saunders
wrote:

Artoi wrote:

By the way, with the current size of the storage media the simplest
solution might be to simply take a picture of your GPS screen every
now and then.

I think I like this method best!

Helluva waste of photo memory though! Especially if you're shooting in RAW
mode on a high MP camera!

What's wrong with simply pressing the "MARK" button on your GPS?

Because pushing the mark button would require more text entries to
correlate with the photo.

Trust me, switching out of RAW only takes less than a few button
presses on most modern cameras. Even more to the point, I hardly ever
shoot RAW.

:P

Old April 14th 06, 12:33 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.satellite.gps

Artoi wrote:

Helluva waste of photo memory though! Especially if you're shooting
in RAW mode on a high MP camera!

What's wrong with simply pressing the "MARK" button on your GPS?

Because pushing the mark button would require more text entries to
correlate with the photo.

Trust me, switching out of RAW only takes less than a few button
presses on most modern cameras.

You're probably right, but I never go to that menu and I don't want to make
the mistake of switching to a low res jpeg then forgetting to switch it
back. It's far easier to simply mark a waypoint, but if you prefer to
photograph the GPS, that's your choice.

Even more to the point, I hardly ever
shoot RAW.

I never shoot anything else. More to the point, I shoot at so many
different locations during a typical walk that photographing the GPS at
every one would not only drive me nuts going in and out of the menus to
switch to jpeg and back each time, but would consume far too much photo
memory in total. I know, I need to buy more memory cards...

But again, working out the location from the track takes very little time
and I very rarely need to do it.

Paul