Minolta scan dual IV or Primefilm 3650U... which for me?

Old July 12th 04, 07:51 AM
Bink B

Default Minolta scan dual IV or Primefilm 3650U... which for me?

Other than the fact the SD4 can do multiple slides at a time it is crap compared
to the 3650u with ICE. The software is also better on the 3650u.
JA

Randy wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a film scanner to digitize my old slides (taken from
1968-1986)... maybe 1500 to 2000 slides. I'm going to burn them on cd
or dvd and I really don't need them to be any better than my 4 mp
camera at average mode setting (1-5 meg per photo... good enough for
5x7 or 8x10). The slides are mixed 35mm and I think 126? (really small
slides).

I'm looking to spend about $300 and I see two items that might fit my
budget:
Minolta Dimage scan dual IV (no digital ICE)
primefilm 3650U (has digital ICE3)

I think the minolta can scan multiple slides at a time which is a big
plus with that many slides, but I'm sure most will be quite dusty by
now; they've been stored in their kodak carousels for many a year. The
Primescan ICE might be quite helpful with the time I will put in. I
also see the Primescan has an LED lightsource they say is better?

The price for the Minolta is about $300 where the Primefilm is about
$230. Does anyone here have experience with these units and can throw
some advise my way? Also what is the best way to blow as much dust as
possible off these slides?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Sorry for the crosspost...not knowing the groups well I wasn't sure
which group was proper.